Sprocket question.

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah I think 44 is way too much unl;ess you ride trails or something. I switched to a 36- there's more speed at the top end, but more importantly- much less vibration at the speeds I want to cruise at- the motor isn't revving and vibrating nearly as much-

On the other hand I later got a 50 kit with a 41- it's almost broken in but I don't think it would pull much lower- I pedal it a little bit already to get going. I have a Gt 39 tooth billet aluminum sprock I think I'm going to drill some day and put on- mostly because of the weight loss- two less teeth will give a little more top end and the motor keeps running better with break in.

Thinner tires really help the roll if you aren't a real baloon tire enthusiast- I have a 27 x 1 1/14 on the front with a campy brake- 700 c wheels will usually clear a cruiser frame but require some careful measurments and it helps with cantilever brakes, because the back brake has to be very long-

the good news is that more longer brakes seem to be on the market more these days.

Last edited:

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
Well, I ordered a 40t, hopefully this will be enough, I might try toe 36, I'm only a buck and a half so I don't think the motor will have a problem pulling me around.

Thanks
JD

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That 40T should do you a good job, if it's like one of mine is with a 41T on it you should get around 28-30MPH and not be vibrating your teeth out.....once the engine gets broken in real good if it isnt already....

Good luck and Happy safe riding Pinoyxprss!

Peace

Well, I ordered a 40t, hopefully this will be enough, I might try toe 36, I'm only a buck and a half so I don't think the motor will have a problem pulling me around.

Thanks
JD

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
boygofast has 41t sprocket kits(low quallity but runs good).all my other kits have a 44t sprocket.I have a question.Where can I find a 36t sprocket for a kit that uses a standard bike chain like the skyhawk kits?the sprockets that come with the hd 415 chains are too thick and I never have gotten a 36t sprocket yet so just wondering has anybody out there got any info on this.thanks

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hello, kevyleven007

below is a link to where you can get a 36T sprocket that is made for the standard bike chain, you will need to take one of your 44T sprockets and then lay the 36T sprocket on it flat so that you can align it perfectly with the outer edge on the 44T sprocket and then clampit down so that it is very secure and then you will ned to double check the alignment again befor eyou drill, if alignment is good then drill through the holes in the 44T spr. and create the needed bolt pattern in the 36T Spr. you will then also need to make the center hole larger as wellthis can be done several ways but the two easiest is to use a torch and cut the hole larger after you scribe it with an scratch awl or anything that will scratch a line in the 36t spr. so you will know where and what size the hole needs to be. you can also get a Bi-Metal Hole saw that can be used in a drill or in a drill press to drill out the hole larger, it wont matter if the hole is the same size exactly just as long as it is big enough to clear everything on the bike hub.

I dont know if you have the tools to do any of this or not, and if not I'm sorry I carried on so about all the details, but this is how I made my 36T sprocket I have on one of my bikes and it works great even with the 415 chain I have on it.

I hope this helps, but if not you maybe someone else will see this and maybe it will help them....

Good luck and I hope you can get things worked out ASAP!

Peace

Here is a link to the exact sprocket I ordered and drilled for mine.

NOS BLACK/RED BMX BICYCLE CHAIN RING BIKE PARTS 255 | eBay

boygofast has 41t sprocket kits(low quallity but runs good).all my other kits have a 44t sprocket.I have a question.Where can I find a 36t sprocket for a kit that uses a standard bike chain like the skyhawk kits?the sprockets that come with the hd 415 chains are too thick and I never have gotten a 36t sprocket yet so just wondering has anybody out there got any info on this.thanks

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not that I have ever heard of, It may be possible to make a 9T but an 8T for 1/2 X 3/16" chain may not even be possible.

I think we only have the 10T option on the drive, we all do our gearing one of 2 ways...change the rear driven sprocket to either smaller for more speed or larger for more low end power for hills or heavy weights or we install a Sick Bike Parts shift kit on a multispeed bike and then you will have the best of both worlds.

Best wishes for what ever you do f250cobra

Is it possible to change the drive sprocket? From a 10t to an 8t? Does anyone make these?

f250cobra

Nov 3, 2010
Central,Pa
Not interested in the Sick jack shaft option, looking into my own. Trying to do a 3.0:1 to the input of my jack. I was looking for an 8 tooth to a 24 tooth for the ratio but it is looking like I need 10 tooth to 30 tooth. Now I know what I have to find. Thanks.