Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Talking Re: Backward engine.

I'd just go to Google earth....they have maps of every port imaginable.....

sorry, I couldn't help myself
EZ Motorbike Dealer - San Diego, CA.
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy have to earn it"
Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Backward engine.

Two stroke engines will run just the same turning in either direction. There's a handful of old cars that were built with two-strokes; if you get it rolling forward, and then bump start with the transmission in reverse, normal reverse becomes a single forward gear, and the others become multiple speeds in reverse.

It's not out of the question to completely reverse mount an HT motor, but it would require some creative work at the mounting points.
When asking for advice, you did not specify whether you wanted only good advice.

Get on the member map

Old 03-25-2011, 06:29 PM

I port matched the transfer ports on mine using silly putty . man that stuff is good for allot of things like that. I also used it in the case to keep metal shavings from going places I didnt want them. The shavings stick to the putty and you just pull the blob out shavings and all.... A good rinse and your good to go.
stay thirsty my friends
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by ferball View Post
I had an idea for an interesting install, that engine would be installed backwards putting the drive sprocket on the right side of the bike, but instead of running it to the rear sprocket run the chain forward. But as I thought about more and more it made less and less sense.
Here's why I'm confused: when you say "run the chain forward" are you talking about driving the front wheel? If so, won't steering become a problem? The other issue is this: when the engine's drive sprocket is on the left, it and the rear wheel turn counter-clockwise. If you mount the engine backwards with the drive sprocket on the right, no matter which wheel you power - it will still turn counter-clockwise, meaning that on the right side of the bike you would indeed go backwards, i.e. in reverse. Unless you rebuilt and modified the engine to compensate.

Might I suggest a jackshaft to accomplish something similar.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM

every good port has a liquior store right? no... port is left.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 PM

Like I was saying the more I thought about it the dumber it sounded. But my thought was this: I am making a long wheel base recumbent, I was thinking of turning the engine around and running the chain forward that hooked to a jack shaft that would be integrated with the front cranks then back to the drive sprocket so that the cranks and the engine hit the drive sprocket on the same drive chain so I could shift, as you can tell from my description is convoluted and overly complicated and like I said it got dumber and dumber the more I thought about it.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes

i thought someone here made one of these engines run in reverse, but the timing was completely off so it didn't work too well.

i know that most two strokes can run backwards, so once i "fakied" my bike backwards down the driveway and bump-started it. luckily, it started normal (forward,) otherwise i woulda been over the bars with my bike in the street behind me.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 AM

The HT could be made to run backwards by cutting a new keyway in the magnet rotor or crankshaft, to get it to fire at about 25 deg btdc of new rotation direction.

You might hafta take extra measures to keep flywheel and sprocket nuts from backing off.

I useta start my allstate moped by backing it down an incline in first gear. It would run but poorly.

When I roll my Hongdu/Solex backwards with the comp release on, It pops a little