Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: My first build.

That knocking sound is probably rattle from the right side engine cover, or gear tooth lash from the gears underneath that cover.

Take the cover off, and dab a pea-sized drop of grease in between the large ring gear and the small bevel gear.

Inspect the inside of the cover you removed; if there are scrape marks on it, you may need to gently grind some of the inside of the cover, so the clutch pins don't scrape it. Or add a second gasket to it to make it stick out farther.

To stop the cover vibrating, you need to stick something to it. Cut and glue a piece of mousepad to the outside. Someone else recently suggested spraying some disc brake quiet on the inside (I really like that idea).

Those two things should quiet it down a lot, and don't forget that these motors are just kind of rattly by their nature. It's not a Rolls Royce.
When asking for advice, you did not specify whether you wanted only good advice.

Get on the member map

Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Pinoyxprss View Post
I bought my engine from ebay, seller name is freedombikeusa, there was no booklet in the package, it was weird so I had to get all instructions online.

anyway if thats normal then that makes me feel better, this thing runs very well and very responsive, I'm almost scared that my spokes will bend, spokes are 12GA.

anyway, thanks for the advice.
The instructions are in the box underneath the styrofoam (see photos). If not PM me your address and I will send you one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grubee 001.jpg (157.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg grubee 002.jpg (165.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Thumbs up Re: My first build.

Originally Posted by Pinoyxprss View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the motorized bike scene and one of my co-worker inspired me to build one so I bought a starfire kit 80cc(i think 66cc is actuall rating) and a huffy Olympia bicycle.

After reading lots of threads here, I finally finished my bike, here's some pics that I took.

I put rubber washers on all the bolts holding the fenders, It's working out really good and has ran 23 Miles so far with no problems, Checking every nuts and bolts every after run and I used loctite on everything.

It turned out pretty good, A lot of vibration when I hit 23-26MPH and can barely hold on to the handle bar, right now I can coast between 17-20 with no problem. I Put rubber on the mounts and it didn't seem to help. Any other advice?

fill the handle bars with sand!!! or get a springer front end!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thanks Dave, I actually got the instruction online with no problem, A hard copy manual would just get lost in my garage.

I'm guessing filling the handle bar with sand will make it hevier and eliminate some vibration ya? I've read on other post about led shots too, which probably be a little heavier than sand.