Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Centrifugal Clutch install problems

Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Centrifugal Clutch install problems

Hey guys, I started my pull start and centrifugal clutch install today. I was following the zoombicycles instructions and all was going smoothly until it told me to install the new gear and clutch assembly. I removed the shear pin from the shaft and it looks like the new gear should slide right on to the shaft, but no dice. I tried throwing it in the oven like you do with bearings but it still wouldnt fit on. Does anybody know the trick to getting this sucker on there? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Centrifugal Clutch install problems

I got my centrifugal clutch kit from ZoomCycles, too. It came, like, yesterday.
I have found that the tapers on the crankshafts vary from engine to engine, loose sloppy tolerances, etc. I test fitted everything on a spare crankshaft that I have, and it fit perfect, then when I tried to install it on my regular MB, it stuck out too far from the end of the crankshaft and rubbed against the outer cover when it tried installing it.
I machined away most of the taper on the clutch and also machined a keyway into it so that I could use the Woodruff key from the stock gear.
It slid on nice and smooth, and took in the little bit of taper left when I tightened the bolt down.
There are other posts on this forum writing about how the taper-fit clutch assembly has spun on the crankshaft, thus wearing away the taper, so right away, I modified it for use with the key.
As of now, I have put 50 miles on this setup with zero problems.

I like how it works, and from now on, all my motorized bicycles will have a centrifugal clutch on them.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: Centrifugal Clutch install problems

I started to install a centrifugal clutch. I screwed the gear puller in the gear and when I
tightened the bolt to remove the gear the threads in the gear stripped. Got any ideas
how to get the gear off with stripped threads?