First motorized bicycle to cross U.S.

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Re: First MB to cross U.S.

To put this feat into prospective:
"With rural interests adding to the battle cry of "Get the farmers out of the mud!" Congress passed the Federal- Aid Road Act of 1916. It created the Federal-Aid Highway Program under which funds were made available on a continuous basis to state highway agencies to assist in road improvements. But before the program could get off the ground, the United States entered World War I."
"The Bureau of Public Roads (BPR), as ORI was then called, was authorized by the Federal Highway Act of 1921 to provide funding to help state highway agencies construct a paved system of two-lane interstate highways."

They didn't START building paved "Highways" until 20 years after his ride.

zachary

Sep 16, 2011
minnesota

now days if you ran out of gas you could grab ahold of a car and go 70-80mph. or have 5gal of gas witch will give yo about 500 mile range to the next gastation.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Grabbing onto cars is really a bad idea! You can't read the road if you are holding a car, and if they even touch the brakes you are toast!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

What an epic adventure!

It brings a number of things to mind.

Would it be more difficult now, than back then?

Back then, people actually helped each other, and were considerate.
Many miles were probably spent on little more than dirt paths, but would that be worse than speeding traffic, cell-phone soccer moms, or big rigs flying by?
Not to mention enforcement schemes in the various jurisdictions.

It's been so long since I've been out over the road. Probably never go again.
A few things I do recall... A long way from top to bottom, in Kalifornia. The desert is hot and windy. Colorado has BIG mountains. Texas IS BIG! There's miles of cornfields. In the South, it can be raining bucketfulls on one side of the street, barely damp on the other. Alligators DO cross roadways. Eastern seaboard potholes can rip a wheel right off.

Someone who who makes the trip has earned my respect!
I sure hope they take a laptop and document the trip with many photos.

WoW!
rc

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

I suppose it is mainly legislative nonsense by local governments geared to selling petroleum that keeps us from having a large coast to coast assembly every year.

Wouldn't it be great to have a massive group ride, with sag wagon support between planned daily destinations, and mechanical replacements available all along the way for the predictable occasional break-downs?

Might be a revealing trip of few breakdowns actually, but the whole thing could sure be a lot of fun!

nawwww- get back to work! And NO SWIMMING!

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area

If you hadn't read George's account - go for it.

However, it is clear from the book, that had he known the little "towns" on the map along the railroad he followed were just sort of encampment markers and not real towns, he might never have taken his journey.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I know that feeling! Pulling into a small "town" low on gas and needing a phone.... out of luck.
There's a reason why some towns are just a "dot on the map."
I've bicycled a lot of country roads in TX, and there are many "towns" that are just a few houses or a historic marker and a farm.
Bring enough water!

If you hadn't read George's account - go for it.

However, it is clear from the book, that had he known the little "towns" on the map along the railroad he followed were just sort of encampment markers and not real towns, he might never have taken his journey.