Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > The Tavern

The Tavern Kick off your shoes and sit back with your favorite beverage and enjoy talking about whatever you like.

Floating Hotdog cart

Kick off your shoes and sit back with your favorite beverage and enjoy talking about whatever you like.

View Poll Results: How do you like your Hot-dog?
plain 1 5.00%
with Ketchup 4 20.00%
With Mustard 11 55.00%
Sauerkraut 2 10.00%
Chillie 6 30.00%
onions 7 35.00%
all the above 3 15.00%
Some of the above 9 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Staff

Default Floating Hotdog cart

Yrs back on my first ship, 3 folks rowed up to the ship and tried to sell "mud-bugs" (crawfish) to the chef. He ended up buying a bucket to share with the crew. Any way, I thought a floating hotdog cart would be a cool way to make a living. Wrote a biz plan yrs later using numbers from NY harbor. There, it is projected to make $147,000 a yr, snork.

In an attempt to stay focused on one project and wanting to keep a log of progress, I am gonna post here.

Bought a $600 boat and a $500 truck to pull her. I blew up the truck so now boat will stay at anchor out in the river.

Went to get a permit from health dept. ($200) They sent me to the police station to get a "peddler's permit" ($100) who promptly told me I needed the health department permit first. Who told me I needed the other first, snork.

The boat has to be covered for rain, birds and security. I will post pics but any thoughts are welcome. I am thinking of an overhead that slides up on 4 poles like a pop-up trailer.

For now, just going with hotdogs, drinks and coffee. But when I (if all works out) plan on building a small barge and will expand line to sun glasses, sun stuff, t-shirts etc with a rest room/porta-potty.

Ideas and thoughts welcomed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

I want 2 ride my bicycle
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Floating Hotdog cart

The drifting snack cart idea is great, Dan - sounds like a lot of fun! I'm assuming that your customer base is prolly recreational boaters & fishermen?

I dunno which body of water yer considering ...depending on location ofc, if you've any transient traffic (liveaboards) - you'd not be able to keep cheap used books, movies & music in stock & that's a fact

Books are ofc the easiest and most sought after by the cruisers, I toyed with the idea of a floating used book store when I was a wanderin'
Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Staff

2 funny BA. Just came upstairs and was gonna PM ya and ask. Cool thought and glad I asked. Knew you would be up. Really, what time do you get up, yesterday? lol

Just reread that biz plan. When I wrote it, I was just learning computers, software and sadly, proper English. (Is really embarrassing how bad my grammar and spelling was. As opposed to now. snicker)

I figured the customer base in order rec. boaters, fishing and security boats. This far north kinda slim pickings. Down by the shore, a lot more traffic. This summer will be more of a feasibility test then any thing. Did count the number of launches of small boats and at 5%, could do well. Sadly, not many "live-aboards" up this way. Be kinda cool. Movies and books are a great idea. Did think of news papers.

Will be located just south of Hartford on the East Hartford side of the CT river with plans of adding locations south until I hit Long Island sound.

I want 2 ride my bicycle
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Staff

Having napkins printed up. "If you liked our service, tell a friend. If you didn't, lets just keep this our little secrete"

And a sign;

"No shirts, no shoes, no problem"
(...and thank you Ma'm)

wut?

I want 2 ride my bicycle
Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Dan,

I'm not trying to get political here but this needs to be said. Congratulations, you are living personal liberty and responsibility with your entrepreneurship. Win or lose, you have a dream and are pursuing it just as all great Capitalist have before you. You are taking a well thought out risk and I wish you all the success in the world because what you are doing demonstrates the true greatness of America.

Gods speed my friend.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Good Luck Dan
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM

back a few years ago when i was like or 15 my dads friend rob took us out for a ride on his zodiac and we went too a full blown floating restaurant, full menu full, bar and everything. bathrooms didn't have hot water and barely had any water pressure at all but hey i can't complain it was really cool.

if i remember right this was in salem harbor in MA? or maybe gloucester?
regardless it was on a harbor in ME, and it was really cool , there were striped bass that were huge that liked to hang around the area cause people would feed em french fries and stuff. some people would try to catch the fish which were essentially the restaurants pets, and they'd shoo them away lol, anyways i'm rambling now but the point is it was really fun and cool, so good luck
Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM

What kind of dogs are you going to sell ? I would quit My Chef job right now to run my own hot dog cart, man nothing better than a good hot dog. When I lived out in California I used to drive out 40 mins on the 118 to buy hotdogs from this guy that sold them under the overpass. They were great!!!! I dont think I would be too successful selling the idea to the Misses and kids though. Any help or advice I could give on running a food buisness Id be glad to help (for a free hot dog of course) Ive been doing food most of my life.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM
minor bike philosopher

I thought food trucks were all the craze in CA. I wondered when they did the great food truck race last year why they didnt have a hotdog truck in the mix. They wanted all gourmet I think.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainmaker View Post
I would quit My Chef job right now

Cheers
answers a question i had a while back lol.

and yeah food trucks are awesome when i was like 8-9 years old there was a truck usually parked in the pep boys parking lot that my dad would get his tires realigned at, selling hot dogs steak bombs and italian sausage subs with grilled peppers n onions, the guy always kept busy when we were there.

Last edited by matthurd; 03-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.