Custom fuel tank made from a camp fuel bottle

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A few people have expressed interest in the fuel tank set up I made for the Atomic BB, so I'm posting this how to in order to explain exactly how I made it. So far in over 500 miles of riding it's proved trouble free, and it's very easy to duplicate.

Parts needed,

1. Camp fuel bottle of your choice and size. Mine is 30 oz, and I run 2 of them. The bottle I'm using has a 2 piece cap that incorporates what's called a pour hole. I'll explain why this is desirable in a minute. You can buy them on Amazon, eBay, Wally world, or most sporting goods stores. I bought mine at REI. Expect to pay $10-20. I recommend not using aluminum water bottles. They're a lot less expensive and look about the same, but they're not as thick, and are very light duty in comparison. Don't do it.

2. You'll need a way to mount the fuel bottle to your bike. Since I run 2 30 oz bottles, I'm utilizing a dual water bottle cage that mounts on my seat post just behind my seat. Make sure the fuel bottles you buy will fit in a standard water bottle size cage.

Profile Design Aqua Rack 2-bottle Aero Bottle Holder. They sell this same one at a lot of places so if the link goes dead google it.

Amazon.com: Profile Design Aqua Rack 2-bottle Aero Bottle Holder: Sports & Outdoors

3. You'll need fuel petcocks. I bought mine from a discount motorcycle supply store. A common size has 1/4" pipe thread.

4. A 1/4" brass nut from the plumbing section of a hardware store.

5. Teflon paste

Tools needed,

Electric drill
Automatic hole punch (can probably do without)
1/4" drill bit for pilot hole (exact size not critical)
7/16 drill bit (this one is critical)
1/4-18 NPT tap

How to vent the tank.

What you're looking at here is a short piece of stainless steel tubing inserted into the hole in the cap that formerly served as the vent. The hole it sized so that the steel tube is a tight fit. It's jammed into the hole, and then I used some plastic fuel line that I bought at the hardware store to fit over the steel tube. Then I used a heat gun to make the fuel line hot, almost to the melting point. Then while still hot, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the end of the plastic fuel line closed. All you have to do after that is use a very small screwdriver to insert into the line to make sure it's not welded shut.

The first time I opened the plastic line back up it didn't want to stay closed all the way, so I repeated the heating process a second time, slightly higher up the tube. After that, even after slipping the screwdriver into the line, it stayed closed all the way when I removed the screwdriver.

Now it acts as a one way valve, allowing air into the bottle as the fuel level drops, but doesn't allow fuel to splash out of the vent hole, and drip on my rear fender when the tank is full.

The pictures I'm fixing to post should be self explanatory, but I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Darts off to the hard ware store!

Thanks

Wow I wouldnt have thought that the bottle walls would be thick enough , to tap it , but with the brass nipple added , it would be nice and supported, im sure.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I would like to add that the fuel valve used in this awesome fuel bottle mod is sold through a company called Parts Unlimited/ Drag Specialties. It is a very popular aftermarket parts company that only sells through authorized retailers. I share this information to help anyone whom may find themselves dealing with a unknowledgeable counterperson at a motorcycle parts store. If at a Harley shop, say "Drag Specialties" and give them the part number 12-0039. If at a Metric bike shop say "Parts Unlimited" and give the same part number. Believe me it will save you alot of time if you have this info before you step up to the parts counter.

Last edited:

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
Thanks biknut! I'm going to be making one of these in the next few days since the stock kit tank is junk! Been messing around with it all day so this is a miracle to me! lol

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
would aluminum water bottles work?
I do believe that if you read the op's post he recommends that you do not use one !
That's right. Do not use aluminum water bottles. They're not thick enough to be dependable. Remember this is gasoline we're dealing with. A gas leak would be potentially very dangerous, especially if you couldn't shut it off.

Damraider

Mar 12, 2011
hayward
You could always use a staight thread and put a nut and O-ring on both sides of the bottom of the can ( if the neck is big enough for the nut and socket to pass through to tighten) .

Steve

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Try doing that on the side of the road all the while knowing that you need the gas that is leaking out to get you home. Better to be safe and use the heavier walled fuel bottle from the beginning.