Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Welcome To The Welding & Metalworking Forum

Stainless to steel...Arc / Stick welder will do the job for sure, with the right rods
Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the info. I got already made foot pegs that fold up, so I will maybe use the stainless steel pieces if I find some other use for them later.

Safety I have been told about having footpegs that foldup if they hit the ground for some reason. I may even make the square tube that was going to support the foot pegs further out to clear my chain and carb covers angle up a few inches higher. This will allow more of a lean in a turn and the pegs less close to hitting a rock or a bump when off roading as it is meant to be used for.

Just one other question, I bought the steel at OSH and they just say that it is weld-able. What more does anyone know about this stuff. I Tig welded it and now only have Mig available with flux core or the AR 75 C02 25 shield gas to use. Would you suspect that this is mild steel, maybe I can contact the store and find out the supplier they use to get more detail? I also may have got some at HomeDepot as well, so I am curious to what is it's make up?

Measure Twice
Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEASURE TWICE View Post
Thanks for the info. I got already made foot pegs that fold up, so I will maybe use the stainless steel pieces if I find some other use for them later.

Safety I have been told about having footpegs that foldup if they hit the ground for some reason. I may even make the square tube that was going to support the foot pegs further out to clear my chain and carb covers angle up a few inches higher. This will allow more of a lean in a turn and the pegs less close to hitting a rock or a bump when off roading as it is meant to be used for.

Just one other question, I bought the steel at OSH and they just say that it is weld-able. What more does anyone know about this stuff. I Tig welded it and now only have Mig available with flux core or the AR 75 C02 25 shield gas to use. Would you suspect that this is mild steel, maybe I can contact the store and find out the supplier they use to get more detail? I also may have got some at HomeDepot as well, so I am curious to what is it's make up?

Measure Twice
Most of your hardware store small steel is mild steel. Don't worry about it. As far as welding stainless to carbon steel you need a 309 stainless arc welding rod the standard is a 308 and it would probably work ok but for ultimate crack resistance on dis similar metal like that the 309 is recommended. For the small amount you are dealing with I would bolt it together with stainless bolts or screws. For one thing the stainless will get color marks, blue and straw colors from the heat and who wants to get a bottle of tri gas for that little bit. I would use the straight wire mig with the c25 gas you got over the flux core simply cause it's cleaner and nicer with less spatter unless you are outside in the wind although either will work. If it's magnetic and you can bend it center punch it and drill it without breaking your punch or burning up six drill bits on a hole its mild. The good stuff is like a570 or ht1 or hy80 and you aint getting that at home depot and if you did you would pay dearly for it. It is also weldable but much harder to center punch and drill cause it has more carbon in it so its tougher stuff. Just sort of figure that if it isn't a tool its mild.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the details. No joking

I have maybe an easy project I'll 1st practice on other stuff to get the nack of the welder. Not stainless, just a noisy gas generator that I am going to adapt the exhaust to have an automobile muffler I have seen inperson how it is done and on Youtube.

The stainless I have saved for some other stuff and maybe weld or not later.

You know I could maybe for kicks make a muffler from scratch, but don't really think it is cost effective.

Finishing up on Motor bike, no pedals anymore OHV and art vehicle mod still going on.

Measure Twice
Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 AM

Didja know you can make your own tig welder with a 70 amp automobile alternator and a 5 HP motor? Can probably get away using a smaller motor if you don't plan to do anything too thick.

Last edited by Maxvision; 11-06-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM

A long time ago I held a GMAW3G mig ticket... long since expired, but I still remember a bit about throwing an arc. If I need it, I have a neighbour with a MIG machine I can probably use if I pay him for materials used, same for his oxy/acety torch rig.
A friend of mine a few years back picked up a little portable wire feed welding rig that hooks up to car batteries for power. By changing the length of wire and number of batteries (and how they were connected, series or parallel) it was capable of some surprising work. If I ever trip over one myself I'll be grabbing it.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Oh man this thread has become a race for the bottom already huh?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvision View Post
Didja know you can make your own tig welder with a 70 amp automobile alternator and a 5 HP motor? Can probably get away using a smaller motor if you don't plan to do anything too thick.
Oops, my bad. It's a 50 amp alternator. Don't think anyone makes a 70 amp.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 AM

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/20...life/#comments

>.<
Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 PM

I see death waiting to happen...maybe a good episode for "1000 Ways To Die".