Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Gutter Rider
Default Re: Starting from stops?

Originally Posted by mybike View Post
My chopper has 48cc starfire 2 cycle chrome with a centrifugal clutch. I start off with dead stop NO problem . 50th rear sprocket.

C clutches are a little different than the manual clutches. I gotta recon they will take way more abuse. Yet still wear and tear wise why not just a bit of peddle of the line with it? That is still better on the motor..
Still gotta have a since of humor.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Definitely; I'm getting better at pedal starting and it sounds like it works wonders.

Without it or proper pedal start, I can hear the gears kick in and just sounds mean.

Imagine trying to pull something and you suddenly just tug and pull compared to getting a good grip and slowly pulling harder and harder, both works, but there's a difference in how your arms will feel at the end of it.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I use the clutch to take off all the time.. its probley not good for clutch life however.. I do it via the following method:
Rev the engine to medium/high revs, SLOWLY release the clutch untill rpms start to drop, Then you open the throttle wide open as you slowly release the clutch a little more over a few seconds.

Takes a little pratice not to overrev or stall out.