Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

3.5 HP small lawnmower engine

Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default 3.5 HP small lawnmower engine

Hi,
I am very new to this, but I recently picked up off the curb a simple push lawnmower, 3.5 HP. I would LOVE to put this on a bicycle of mine. The easier the better, but I have seen that since it is a vertical shaft, things become a little more difficult. I also have a stationary bike adapter thing (like the ones here: Stationary Indoor Bike Trainer - Kinetic by Kurt ) I can hook that up to the rear tire, and if I could somehow put power to it, it would be just like a friction motorized bike (I have been able to simply hook that stationary bike thing, and put a cordless drill to it, and rode around my driveway at about a walking pace, obviously too slow) Any suggestions oh how I could rig up this lawnmower engine? I know I am limited due to the shaft, but let me know!!! Thanks!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 3.5 HP small lawnmower engine

I have no ideal how to go about making a vertical motor work.

I will move this thread to the DIY forum.....you should get better help thier.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Well, 1 idea I could see working is that you mount motor over the tire. you attach a wheel of some sort from a skate board and you run it on the sidewall. You just adjust the throttle on it and then blammo you are off.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I see, that might work...I would probably wear away the tire really fast...but still an idea nonetheless. Thanks...
Old 08-03-2008, 06:42 PM
minor bike philosopher

Has anyone ever tried to run a lawn mowers on its side... My mower has the squeeze bulb and I often wondered if it wouldn't run sideways. I have had it almost on it's side cutting banks.

It might be that we could just move the gas tank and have it run horizontal. I don't have any idea I'm just asking.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knexkid View Post
I see, that might work...I would probably wear away the tire really fast...but still an idea nonetheless. Thanks...
It wouldnt be that fast. You could run it off the rim if you wanted to see how it would work. You could set it up nicely if you put some time into the structure. Depending on the motor. there is a chance there is no throttle and if there isn't then it would an ALL on or off set up. I have actually put some decent thought into this idea before I just haven't decided start to spend the time on making it work.

and Lawn mowers can't run for a long period of time at much of an angle the oil and gas will find a way out...sometimes through the air filter and there is a big mess. So you are stuck with it being Vert.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I know it wouldn't be super fast, but I assume, if the engine is running at 3000 rpm, or 50 revolutions per second, and my skateboard wheel is about 2 inches in diameter (2pi for circumference) 50 * 2pi = ~314 inches per second. 314 inches per second = ~18 mph...which is not terrible if you ask me. Oh...and yes, it has a throttle, so the rpm is just an estimate....
Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

It's time to get excited.

You're welcome.

MySpaceTV Videos: Vernon Video Channel
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Um..... A lot would depend on how strong the tyre sidewalls were. Myself I think trying to use friction drive on the side of a bicycle tyre with a 3.5Hp engine could wind up with your tyre going bang suddenly.
A vertical shaft engine really needs a twisted or 'round-the-corner' type belt drive in order to work properly on a bicycle.
This old patent drawing shows an example of how to use a vertical shaft engine to power a bike (the drawing is for a sidecar or a quad though so you'll need to make some changes).
Old 08-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Filipino View Post
It's time to get excited.

You're welcome.

MySpaceTV Videos: Vernon Video Channel

very nice...that's exactly what I am going to do...hopefully I will get around to working on it this week!