Pork & Beans Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I really enjoy the creativity on this website, and how people so willingly share their "recipes".

I think you have a really good product idea as it frees up the top tube area, and should be spill free! Can you turn the bike over with these tanks, or does the cap leak? How does it vent?

Pro weedeaters usually have a system of vented tanks whereby the fuel line uses a weighted tank filter as a pickup unit, and a small external vent runs to a separate hose. The vent cap may have a "float" or a check-ball, to prevent spillage when the weedeater is rotated in use to clear fences, corners, or when it is set on the ground while changing string or attachments.

Curtis Fox, that made me laugh, at "found at Wally world a Stainless toilet brush holder and a small drink cup to match."

I think only tinkerers like us think of stuff like that or find such uses for everyday items. Someone here made a retro boardtracker look bike with a " stainless steel toothbrush holder ." it was the air intake box. I think you can find the thread by a search of those words.

I really like the can-of-beans tank, but I enjoy having my Grubee kit tank. I want one of your tanks for my next build though, a BMP kit, maybe on the front wheel depending on bike.

I think your product looks great though, and is probably much larger than the average size can. Perhaps there are Industrial Use cans such as Nacho Cheese, Green Beans, or Nacho Jalapenos that you could use for a really large tank. Also, small beer kegs have been popular for some bikes and show cars.

Here is a conversion website for Litres to Gallons (either UK or US)
Gallons to liters conversion

Here is a fascinating short history of tin cans, and some good reasons why food products should never be heated in the shipping cans (leeching of tin or hormones that the plastic lining can dissolve chemically into, can make a person sick). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_can

Have you had any problem with the plastic linings dissolving and running into the fuel filter or clouding the fuel, either from heating the can or from fuel corrosiveness?

Were do you get the filler and cap from? Is that mounting strap something you make or is it predrilled with the holes.
Helping the wife and found that a small condensed mike can has ribs just like your bean can. It might make a neet tail light housing. I also found at Wally world a Stainless toilet brush holder and a small drink cup to match. I will shorten the brush holder for a head light and the cup for tail light old vintage style........Curt

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Its a good question. More than one way to skin a cat, right?

Depending on the size of the can, there may be other ways to attach it to something.
I think some builders might want to attach one to a rear cargo rack instead of the seatpost.

I like the way forklift propane cans are attached, how they sit in a rack and a buckle holds one down, with interchangeability. Perhaps there is a semi-permanent way to mount these, using a metal plate and zip ties. Perhaps leather straps and buckles could be used, in the fashion of old toe-clip straps. http://images.jensonusa.com/large/pe/pe406z01_____lgxl.jpg That would be quite strong and eliminate the need for welding/brazing the plate to the tank. Perhaps that would be an easier way for more users to build a similar tank.

What is Virdi, please?

I like the moped in your avatar. Is it a French moped, maybe called a Velosolex? I think they look ironic because they resemble stationary bikes, but are motorcycles! :) .cs.

Hello good evening. I'm doing like a tank, not tin of beans but pineapple into chunks. I note that the photos used soldering tin, right? which product you used to grab and solder?
It is a fantastic tank, but I think Wed plate is very thin, I'm seriously join in the fiber coating Virdi, who thinks the idea?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I took one of the cans with the white coating in and soaked it in Laqure thinner for a week and did not desalve.
Just spotted at Target Its a flower pot thing were you add water and and it growes. I was thinking if you got two and cut the ends off it would make a neet looking Keg type of tank..........Curt

Blake84

Jul 15, 2011
miracle mile los angeles
If you have any of the beans tanks available I would love to purchase one ASAP. I just went out and bought 2 cans of beans and was going to attempt to make until is saw your post. I got a bike I built all hooked up I just need fuel before I can start it up

CRANKIT

Feb 9, 2012
australia
Hello people,,just joined this forum, i have been watching the interesting stuff getting around on here, i decided to put together the basis for a motorised lowrider bicycle and figured that joining a forum regarding bikes would ultimately be of benefit to my project. I hope i will eventually finish this bike to look half as good as some i have seen.
cheers,C K.

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
OK, I just bought a couple of cans of pineapple juice the other day, thinking to do this. I couldn't figure out how to get the juice out of the can without cutting off one of the ends, or at least piercing it. With solder, it all comes together. I didn't see a gravity feed coming out of the tank. Is it on the bottom coupled with the bottom end of the "gas gauge"? Thanks.
Oh, I ended up hacking a couple of Coleman propane tanks together to make my tank, but now I want to go back to the pineapple can. And, rust is not a bad thing. I artifically rust parts and then clear coat them...just did a fork on my board tracker!

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
For whatever reason, that totally escaped me. I've got a drill press and hole saws, you'd think I would know that. Now about the gravity feed...does it come out of the bottom, I can't really tell from the pictures. Thanks