Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: how loud is an HT from the cager's perspective?

I'm from pittsburgh and its surely not illegal to ride these things in PA. You just messed up big time and pissed some people off. I actually idled my bike next to a couple cops who were standing on the sidewalk, they didn't say a word to me. Just keep your cool, you don't own the road.

to answer your question, it is not illegal to ride these in PA under these circumstances:
The bike is under 50cc's (which mine is not)
The bike must have pedals
You must have a drivers license class C
engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower

yes, these bikes are loud, my friends can actually tell when im nearby by the sound of my bike, its very distinct. I mean you can only hear it from a block away, but still the things loud.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

The thing: How would i register a bicycle? I have a real moped, i'm not messin with the whole enhanced inspection thing. I have a spare moped vin i can rivet onto a bike and get titled, but the officer is gonna know "Hey, wait a minute, that's not a vespa ciao!"

Before the incident, I blasted past several cops on my BMP bike (loud...) and rode through traffic once with an officer behind me. I ALWAYS use hand signals, drive in the right tire path of the car in front, and give cars the right of way. I try to make an example of other people that shouldn't have a liscense and make myself a better driver. I'll bet if i build a new bike, I wont get in trouble. I wish i could tell for sure if my friend's mom was speaking the truth, she is a corrupt woman.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 PM

All of the info on legality for your state should be able to be found via googling your DMV and Mopeds in the same search.. That's how I found the laws for my state, and our legislature is so horrendous that they actually tried to abolish our state constitution and start from scratch this past election and rewrite EVERYTHING. So I can't imagine it'll be that difficult for ya.

Find the law as it stands. Talk to your local officers on the subject and they might be able to give you answers. I know that people here register their bikes using the date stamped on the motor and the engine type as their VIN..

from my experience the fuzz don't mind loud bikes, as loud bikes save lives. it's provoking or instigating situations that'll get their attention in a bad way.

Find the laws, show them to your mom. Let her friend look like a jackhole for thinking she knows anything about a subject she has no involvement in.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 PM

abd that sux man, I can understand the anger when someone cuts you off. But there are people here that have been hit and/or ran over and they(broads in trucks) take off, so consider yourself lucky. Licensing is different state per state, some states don't even have any legislation for motorized bikes, Canada only has one province with an mto provision for 50cc/500kw bikes... Plus anyone up here has to be 16 and pimping bicycle laws, lights, mirror, bell, helmut etc...

So sorry to hear about your luck, but you probably aren't too legal, being 15 and all. When I was 15 I had to get my CanAm 250 dropped off at the trail edge, because even pushing it there would get me hassled...

Get new friends so their moms can't rat you out. Just don't run anyone over... But hey how many ppl in SUV's has that rule stopped, ha. Srsly, get new friends, and quit flipping people off, you aren't legal. When you are legal, fire your Glock in the air at all them dingbats...

Until then, I give you patience for Christmas. It will serve you well, when I was your age I used to steal junkers out of the local scrapyard and take them joyriding with my 'friends'... till they all ratted me out. I was 13 then, and it really opened my eyes.

I'm 33 now... and still don't really trust anyone. Everything is done with apprehension.

Just some advice from an old trouble-maker...

Have a good one.
Cards, 29er, Trailer, Hack'em'up
Build with pride! Build to ride!
"A clean shop is a sure sign of a cluttered mind" ~ fasteddy
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes

back to the original question, i was riding next to my buddy's car and he couldn't hear my bike with his windows up, and mine's louder than stock.

but i can hear the 3-4 guys who live around here from a block away when they buzz passed my house, and there's one jacka$$ without the baffle i can hear from a mile away.

i've been stopped at lights and had people yelling questions at me about my bike, and i usually have to kill the motor to hear them.

on another note, a buddy of mine who builds custom motorcycles told me they aim their exhaust pipes up now because so many people drive SUV's.