Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Researching for the best motorized bicycle kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_n_texas View Post
Try tightening down the friction roller with the air pressure down to like 25 LBS then air up the tire I bet it wouldn't slip then.
I have since removed the friction drive and replaced it with a used GEBE kit.
It's the most reliable set up I've had so far.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
I have since removed the friction drive and replaced it with a used GEBE kit.
It's the most reliable set up I've had so far.
I'd love to have the old kit if you aren't using it any more!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

If you like to get greasy, tinker, rebuild, problem solve and spend money, go for the $1.99 HT special. If you want something clean, simple and reliable, get yourself a friction drive. Personally, I've kissed chain drives goodbye. Waaay too much work and disappointment.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Hey Dave, I'm new to this whole motorized bike thing and I was wondering if, since your post here, have you had any problems with any kit from zoombikes? And what kind of bicycle did you use to mount it to?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
Hey Dave, I'm new to this whole motorized bike thing and I was wondering if, since your post here, have you had any problems with any kit from zoombikes? And what kind of bicycle did you use to mount it to?
I have two, both 66cc one black mounted to a Cadillac Fleetwood and one raw on a 36 Roadmaster both work fine
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I have to say the Raw gave me the best performance for a cheap kit. just had probs with handlebars and throttle cables
Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM

IMHO the bottom line on these china 2-strokes is "they're cheap", both in cost and in quality. The kits dont cost much, and the QC isn't very good, but replacement parts are cheap when you need to repair.

In China there are "factories" where the castings are made, and then there are numerous "assembly lines" were the products are finished and assembled. The kits dont come out of one "factory" completely assembled like a car in Detroit... The quality of finish put on the parts depends on the people doing the finishing work, they get paid by piece work so turning out more parts per day is what they are aiming for. For this reason the quality on any given item can vary from kit to kit, even from the same company.

What I have done is simply come to this realization and accept the situation for what it is worth. This means basically if you want to be able to ride your bike reliably you should probably build up a spare motor (its cheap enough) and have it ready and waiting in case the motor you are running fails. At that point you just swap motors and get your bike rolling right away, then rip apart the blown up one and repair it and hold it as a spare ASAP. Otherwise you may have some down time while you repair your motor if it does fail, which is pretty likely, depending on how hard/much you ride, how well your bike is built, and the quality of parts you got to start with...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Wow, that's an advertisement if I ever read one!

I know several members that have gotten 10,000+ miles out of a cheap (under 150.00 dollars) chinese kit. With no rollers or tires to replace....where did you say the engine was manufactured on the bumblebee kit?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeBoltOn View Post
Ya if you have a chinese kit you probally wil need a spare engine. If you have a bumblebeebolton you will get 3,000 miles with out any problems. you will have to change ur drive wheel at a 1,000 miles but thats one bolt its easy..The bumble bees dont have all those parts to break and go wrong( like a clutch or gears). I have 5,000 miles on mine and have never been left along side the road. AMERICAN MADE!!!!! Ya!!1 Check em out! I swear by mine. they are just so simple theres nothing to bust or break theres a drive wheel and the engine thats it no more parts..nice and simple..so you guys with those chinese kits i hope your mechanical inclined..lol..i used to ride one ( a chinese kit) till it broke down and i seen a guy riding a bumblebeebolton around..
Not everyone wants a friction drive, so what may be good for you isn't for others....
And if you are not mechanically inclined you probably shouldn't set out to build a motorized bicycle in the first place IMHO....

Last edited by nightcruiser; 04-27-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Hey Marv, this is my first post, my username has a secret clue to my age. I'm a newbie to motorbicycling, and also have been searching around for the best available kit, or dealer. No definitive results found, as of yet. We, [her & I & 2 dogs} will be moving to Florida soon as this house gets sold, probably toward Pensacola area. I'm interested to read what you come up with. Also, Thank You, bikeguyJoey, if you're still here, five pages of replies, no Best Buys decided upon. I'll keep looking, reading, thinking, nothing better to do...I sure wish I could find a Honda 2 stroke bicycle engine, I'd have a back up getaway to my tacoma. Ya'll enjoy your rides, I can't ride my State Bike, single speed, coaster brake anywhere around here...can't wait to get back to the flats, near salt water!