Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Researching for the best motorized bicycle kits

Hi Guys.
I'm new to this group. I will not tell you how old I am but I did own a new 1948 Whizzer motorbike in my early years. It was the first motor vehicle in my family. I went everywhere with it. I have since owned other motor scooters and motorcycles.

I've been doing research on building a motor bike with mixed results. A few questions. Are there any quality 2 stroke engines kits on the market that are not junk? Does anyone make a kit with the Honda engine and the automatic transmission? I like the sound of a 4 cycle engine but if the transmission is so loud you can't hear the engine I would go with the 2 cycle units. The price of the 2 cycle kits are from cheap to relatively expensive. What is the best unit out there.

I have a Trek 900 mountain bike in good condition but would like to replace the rear spokes which are starting to rust with larger diameter stainless spokes.

In Florida anything larger than 50 CC's you need to take a driving course which costs $250! Is the size of the 2 stroke engines stamped on them? Can you tell how large the engine is just by looking?

I'm looking forward to the comments and suggestions.

Marv
Old 11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Default re: Researching for the best motorized bicycle kits

Have a look in the "Find a Dealer and Review" forum here.

Most of the two stroke kits are pretty much the same with the accessory items being a little different from kit to kit. Grubee offers a lot of hype, but they have as many problems as a less expensive kit. thatsdax sells at a fair price and offers great after the sale service. There are a ton of others out there, and you will get as many opinions as there are kits.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Marcus View Post
In Florida anything larger than 50 CC's you need to take a driving course which costs $250! Is the size of the 2 stroke engines stamped on them? Can you tell how large the engine is just by looking?
Marv,
Welcome aboard. Concerning the two stroke engines… the 49cc and the 66cc are virtually identical and if not placed side by side, you can’t tell them apart. I am not aware of a model that is stamped with it's engine size. I recently bought a Grubee 66cc that had a small manufactures plate riveted on the clutch actuator cover. I believe along with other details it lists the engine size. Let me go check…

Hmmm. It must have fallen off.

Ah Florida, no hills and you can ride year round. Have fun.

Last edited by Prof Fate; 11-24-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Hi Marv, welcome, I'm also new to this and did some checking on most motors sold, I got mine from Gasbike.com in canada, only ones that would ship to california, it is a ZB80 and is 66cc they also have 49cc motors, these kits come with upgrades most don't have
they come with 2 or 3 motor mounts to fit the different down tubes on the bikes, it will fit my mountain bike with no drilling the frame, and they come with extra parts and color directions (: can't beat it. I paid $87 for the motor on ebay with shipping for $111, if you don't fell like bidding on ebay you can buy it now for #134.00 free shipping.
These are new 2010 motors.
I'm 60 and remember my first motorbike with a snowplow engine man did it fly!! I was 10 and very brave, not so much now.
Good luck Marv, Mike
Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Marv, my motor is not stamped with the size, you might get by with telling them it is 49ccMike
Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Welcome Marv, I have had very good luck with the zoombikes.com kits...
Old 11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

If you lived in really flat country with no hills what recommendations would you give for a rear sprocket for max speed and less RPM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Hi Marv, the most reliable kits have japan engines on them, from what I read. Spend some time here absorbing info. And Welcome to Motorbicycling!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Fate View Post
Marv,
Welcome aboard. Concerning the two stroke engines… the 49cc and the 66cc are virtually identical and if not placed side by side, you can’t tell them apart. I am not aware of a model that is stamped with it's engine size. I recently bought a Grubee 66cc that had a small manufactures plate riveted on the clutch actuator cover. I believe along with other details it lists the engine size. Let me go check…

Hmmm. It must have fallen off.

Ah Florida, no hills and you can ride year round. Have fun.
my plate is going to fall off too
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

hey how are you I'm new at forum I'm trying to search for info . hot to set a carburetor.