Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Smile Newbie here

I am a newbie to this site and also to Motorized bikes. I have an interest in motorizing a bike to ride around the neighborhood,so, thought joining a forum would help me learn about motorizing a bike, what type bike to buy, what type of motor kit to buy, and many more questions. Since, I know little of nothing about the subject.

The only thing I have in my favor is that I am a mechanic and have rebuilt cars. So, probabley have the skills to mororize a bike.

But, I want to get it right the first time.

Questions: What type of bike is good for motorings?
What is best type and name brand, reliable motor kit to buy.
Can I buy a motor kit locally, (Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach area)

In addition, I have a Hurricane, Upland, 26 inch and a Mongoose 26 inch, XR200 Mountain Bike. Can I motorize one of these, or do I need to get a different type bike

Also, I am retired and on a fixed budget. Do, prices and expenses are an import factor.

Thanks for listening.

I will appreciate all help and advise.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Old 11-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Newbie here

You've come to the right place. If you want to stay cheap, the Huffy Cranbrook from Walmart is a common entry-level bike. Or keep an eye on craigslist, where you can probably find a better bike for about the same money. A Chinese two stroke kit will also be cheapest, but they have their problems, so buy from someone you can get good warranty service from. You'll certainly have to mail order that, but it's not such a big deal.
When asking for advice, you did not specify whether you wanted only good advice.

Get on the member map

Old 11-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Newbie here

Welcome to the forum. Being a mechanic, you will find these motorized bikes very simple, but with enough quirks to make them interesting. Check out a lot of bikes in the photo gallery. Before too long, you will pick a favorite bike and motor.
“You're only young once, but you can be immature as long as you like" -Unknown