Help needed! Dream bike build!!!

GoldenMotor.com

DementeDave

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
Hi guys! needed some help here. I've been snooping around this forum for months and I've finally decided to sign up and ask for help...

I want to build up a motorized dream bicycle. As I cant find a local shop selling the bicycle and engine, It is very difficult to ask for advise and gauge the riding position... Hope I can get some help here many thanks!!! OH BTW I live in Surrey BC, Canada and I am 5'8.

Here's my specs:
Under $2000
signal lights (turn left/Right and brakes)
Head light
4 stroke 50cc engine with electronic starter
rear FAT tire (did I say FAT???) ;p
Full suspension
disc brakes (at least front, best if both)
Bike frame and handle bar has to allow me to ride upright and my legs stretch foward
No welding involve

I think thats all for now...
Many thanks again!
.trk
DementeDave

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Hi guys! needed some help here. I've been snooping around this forum for months and I've finally decided to sign up and ask for help...

I want to build up a motorized dream bicycle. As I cant find a local shop selling the bicycle and engine, It is very difficult to ask for advise and gauge the riding position... Hope I can get some help here many thanks!!! OH BTW I live in Surrey BC, Canada and I am 5'8.

Here's my specs:
Under $2000
signal lights (turn left/Right and brakes)
Head light
4 stroke 50cc engine with electronic starter
rear FAT tire (did I say FAT???) ;p
Full suspension
disc brakes (at least front, best if both)
Bike frame and handle bar has to allow me to ride upright and my legs stretch foward
No welding involve

I think thats all for now...
Many thanks again!
.trk
DementeDave

Welcome DementeDave you are in the right place for building a Stretch Cruiser or Chopper with a Chinese cloned horizontal honda CRF 50cc type ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike engine.

I'd suggest a Stretch Cruiser from Bicycle Designer or ChoppersUS, the one Bicycle Designer sell's has a square bottom tube which would allow an easy setup for bolting a steel plate to which you could then bolt your engine to, you did say you don't want to do any welding.

The engine can be purchased thru Gio in Canada, however I'd suggest buy a used Kids ATV and just scavenge the engine and components like wiring harness, intake carburetor, etc etc..

As for front forks ChoppersUS has the springer forks with disc brake, and Bicycle-engines.com has the dual drive heavy duty rear wheel with band brake ( not quite a drum brake ).

For more information please see the following members builds as they have built their Stretch Cruisers with this type of engine:

Civlized= http://motorbicycling.com/f40/atv-50cc-full-auto-stretch-13417.html

ipaint= http://motorbicycling.com/f40/micargi-bronco-piranha-110cc-3-sp-22588.html

Both forum members above have included in the threads / post's for their builds what some of us call a Build List, which covers most everything needed to complete a similar build, where to buy the parts and other how to information.

Here's a pic of the square bottom tube Stretch Cruiser offered by Bicycle Designer'

For more information about the Chinese cloned horizontal honda CRF 50cc 4 stroke engines see BarelyAWake's post titled: Alternate 4 Stroke Engines List.
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/alternate-4-stroke-engine-list-19630.html

Let us know if this helps you find the engine or frame for your new or first build?

Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

DementeDave

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
Hi Crazy Horse!

This is my first motorized build.

"STRETCH Cruiser Tank frame" from Bicycle Designer looks good and square bottom tube is a brilliant idea too. But, will the "fake" tank be in the way of the real tank?

The Lifan 50cc w/ electric starter from tbolt should be the right deal for me... Is there a way to mount this engine on a frame with round bottom tube? Yes, without welding. (the closest to welding for me is using jb weld lol)

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
DD, I don't know how you can mount the Chinese cloned Honda horizontal 4-stroke 50cc ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike engine to a round tube maybe RedB66's motor mount clamps he use's on his Stretch Cruisers might work on a round bottom tube frame.

I'd recommend getting the Square tube frame Stretch Cruiser from Bicycle-Designer, since it would offer you the easiest way to mount the skid plate to the frame, and then just bolt engine to the
9 x 5 Motor Mount
Flat Engine Mounting Plate
9" x 5" x 3/16"
Heavy Gauge Steel
Slotted Mounting Holes skid plate. Skid plates can be sourced from Here's the Link: Motor Mounts BMI Karts and Supplies - Home

This can be done without any welding!

C.H..shft.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
DementeDave, welcome to the forum. I'm in Ocean Park/Cresent Beach or south Surrey if you prefer. You may be able to use the tank on the bike as a gas tank. A lot of the fellas have a gas filler welded in and fill the tank with gas tank sealer to prevent leaks. That depends on how the tank is built of course. Getting away from some welding is pretty hard.
Check with Terry Blow on the forum and I think he is advertising in the sponsers on the side of forum. He sells Grubee 4 stroke kits and is just off the King George Highway in Surrey. He has built some nice bikes and will be able to help you.

Steve.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Hi Crazy Horse!

This is my first motorized build.

"STRETCH Cruiser Tank frame" from Bicycle Designer looks good and square bottom tube is a brilliant idea too. But, will the "fake" tank be in the way of the real tank?

The Lifan 50cc w/ electric starter from tbolt should be the right deal for me... Is there a way to mount this engine on a frame with round bottom tube? Yes, without welding. (the closest to welding for me is using jb weld lol)
DD, here's an idea / suggestion for you a $50 usd gas tank from Johnny Pag,
Here's the Link for his ebay store, the pdf parts for the gas tank & speedometer showing all the parts you can use to make this Stretch Cruiser motorized bicycle sick sick sick looking:
No.1 ebay store Link: JohnnyPag PartsStore items - Get great deals on Tanks-Fenders, Chassis items on eBay Stores!
No.2 parts pdf. Link: http://www.johnnypag.com/motorcycles/spyder300/Spyder300Parts.pdf

DD, I forgot to suggest this gas tank it will work but you'd have to drill thru your top frame tube to bolt it on, it's a great deal only $50 usd!

Here's a few pic's of the gas tanks available:

You could order the ( switch assembly ), handlebar controls as well which are the switches for electric start, left & right turn signals, horn, high & low beam head light switch, engine kill switch, pretty cool setup if you chose to use it. And the price well it's very reasonable.

The other option I'd suggest is to google search or ebay search for the Roketa Tank 50cc mini motorcycle gas tank, this bike use's the same chinese cloned horizontal 4-stroke honda crf 50cc ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike engine.

Here's a pic of the Tank 50cc mini motorcycle from gokartsusa you can purchase this gas tank from them:

DD, you can now imagine or see the possibilities of the Stretch Cruiser bicycles as they offer a much more versatile platform for building a fully customized motorized bicycle using the Chinese cloned 4-stroke horizontal honda crf 50cc ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike engines.

For anyone interested in the Chinese cloned 4-stroke horizontal honda crf 50cc ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike engines, these are outstanding engines for the long wheelbase / frame lengths of the Stretch Cruiser & XL Chopper builds.
See the thread titled: Alternate 4 Stroke Engines,
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/alternate-4-stroke-engine-list-19630.html

As for wheels definitely checkout Terry's website: http://blowbyu.ca/
He sell's the heavy duty dual drive rear wheels with Drum/Band brake>

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

DementeDave

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
Thanks steve and CH!
I'll definitely consider blowbyu's hd hub or brakes.
Has anyone use honda 50cc on a stretch cruiser?

The engine mount looks like it's meant for v frame I really like the mount but it doesnt looks like the mount for the frame i'm looking at...

Johnny pag's fuel tank looks sick!!! 3.5gallons!!!! considering if I ride to work everyday, I'll need to refuel once a month!!! ROFL!!

as for the lighting system i'm looking at blowbyu's lighting system

Thanks!
.trk
DementeDave

Last edited:

DementeDave

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
Hey steve, for the price and the quality I'd go for Honda
But look at this:

It looks so cool!!!

Has anyone have Lifan 50cc engine's dimension? I dont think the dimension on tbolt's website is accurated because the 50cc to 110cc's dimension is the same...

Peace out
.trk
DementeDave

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
16" L x 12"W x 9"T give or take 1/4" or so, not including carby, mounts, manifolds or chain clearances (49.5cc auto clutched three speed, electric start) ;)

DementeDave

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"
Dave just a quick look at this. Look up ICBC's web site for motor bikes and mopeds.
Gas motors can't be put on bikes that are used on the road anywhere in Canada. Federal law.
Terry argued with me until he tried to registered his.
Had lots of arguments with a few people until the mods told us to stop.

If you put a gas engine on a bike and ride it you are in control of an unlicensed, uninsured, unregistered motor vehicle. The fines can range around $10,000, jail time and loss of license.
Just to warn you.

Steve.
"

CRAP!!! As a law abiding citizen I might have to abandon this project!
The ICBC guideline is to have the "moped" registered... I might as well buy a real moped...
See, The goal is to have cheap transportation to work and having to register and license it mean too much money involve... not worth it...

I might just get a cheap$650 escooter and buy LiFePo4 battery and BMS system to match the range I needed just to get by... :-||

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Dave, you can't register the bike. You have to be a recognized manufacturer who has has thier product inspected by the federal government then you can put a 17 digit number on it that is needed to register it.

E-bikes.ca, will put you in touch with the folks that helped me put my bike together. First rate operation. The're on Main St in Vancouver about 29st.

You can see my bike at "pictures by speedydick- photobucket" and the tread is on board trackers and vintage bikes under sidecars. Mick started the tread and then I kicked in. It's back a ways so you will have to look back a few pages.

Steve.