Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Staff

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

My springer forks failed! Am big time bummed. Love that dam thing. Will tear down and post pics but the main stays seem to have parted and failed. So instead of going st8 down say to 7 0'clock looking at the left side, they now go to 7:30 or so. I done the face plant thing and don't play around with the front end. have 2 sets of ridged forks that will fit this bike so not a huge deal but gonna suck going back to solid even for a while.

"it's a blast to ride!"
says it all! Very cool Skarrd

Working on a 3 wheel car to commute yr round. Is lil less then 5 miles to my morning job and here in the nutmeg state(ct), can use a 5 HP engine. So am trying to come up with a combo shifter kit/CVT. Goal being uber low end torque and a high end of 50 on a safe vehicle. Plan on the low end to be an electric motor and the long distance to be the gas/scooter engine. The huge bummer part is I might forgo peddles. Would be bad as I kinda think of keeping em as a sort of challenge and great back up. But this is to be an actual and necessary mode of transportation. Also an experiment in a safe trike/MB. With out the pedals, I don't see them as true MBs.

I rambled there but looking forward to your updates on your shifter kit. Very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Dan, glad you didn't leave any major parts on the road. Did you get scraped up at all?

Were the forks the old ones or the rebops?

Steve.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Ouch Dan! I am glad to hear you walked away from it! Sorry to hear that those forks failed on you. After reading of your enthusiasm over them I was looking into buying one.
I am thinking..... not anymore.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM

put a new carb and exhaust gasket on today while it wasnt raining. my ol' china girl iz purdy much used to the huffy frame now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huffymtHMB001.jpg (33.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 PM

Today I finally mounted my super titan on to my bike! All it took was a simple steel plate with six holes drilled in it. No countersinking required.

Now my sprockets line up, I put a 41 chain on because the 415 I had didnt work well with the manic mechanic sprocket Im using.

I should have this thing finally up and running within the next few days if everything goes right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 053.jpg (159.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 047.jpg (121.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 048.jpg (82.7 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Staff

Lookin good Smoothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
Ouch Dan! I am glad to hear you walked away from it! Sorry to hear that those forks failed on you. After reading of your enthusiasm over them I was looking into buying one.
I am thinking..... not anymore.
Thanks Buddy! I have to tear em down and will report. I have to go back and reread but some one here did warn me to go with the HD ones and really really tried to warn me. So is prolly my own dang fault. lol, usually is. The main forks are just pointed forward so may be salvageable. I hope. They look and work great. Funny part is with this build I was worried about the very cheap kmart bike. The chain stays meet the seat stays with a really small and not well lined up drop out weld. Thats fine. Ah, always some thing to learn. Kinda the cool part.

Spring is coming!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Lookin good Smoothe
Thanks Buddy! I have to tear em down and will report. I have to go back and reread but some one here did warn me to go with the HD ones and really really tried to warn me. So is prolly my own dang fault. lol, usually is. The main forks are just pointed forward so may be salvageable. I hope. They look and work great. Funny part is with this build I was worried about the very cheap kmart bike. The chain stays meet the seat stays with a really small and not well lined up drop out weld. Thats fine. Ah, always some thing to learn. Kinda the cool part.

Spring is coming!!!
Hey Dan sorry to hear about the failure and that you are OK... I also have the cheapie springers on my Crannie so if you can post images it will be helpful to look for the same defect and maybe prevent an accident...

You are right Spring is coming I got to ride yesterday till the bike began over richening and fouled the plug. I swallowed my pride and the Crannie and I took the bus home rather than trying to limp it back...

Here is what I found:

That 1/4" of cable pull transmits to half choke at least.... OH well luckily it was an easy problem that did no damage, it could have been worse. Any one have a repair Idea to secure the cable better besides squashing the hex retainer?

Last edited by MarkSumpter; 03-13-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Nice job on the Titan, Smoothe. Saturday we put a 2 degree offset flywheel key in my buddy, Dan's, bike to advance the timing for more performance. Then Dan, Shaun and I rode our bikes to Philly Grill for lunch. The bike showed very noticable mid and high range gains in power at the expense of a rougher idle. We're working on an adjustable magneto so we can ride on stock timing until we need more performance at certain times, like hills or racing, in which we can change it on the fly with a cable or lever with detents at pre-determined degrees. Anyway, we had a great ride with no problems. Then two of my nieghbors stopped by with trheir chinese bikes and another friend with his Model T. What a day.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSumpter View Post
Here is what I found:

That 1/4" of cable pull transmits to half choke at least.... OH well luckily it was an easy problem that did no damage, it could have been worse. Any one have a repair Idea to secure the cable better besides squashing the hex retainer?

Safety wire the rubber cable boot to the cable and safety wire the other end of the rubber boot to the cable adjuster on the carb. Zip-ties will not hold well enough, safety wire is the way to go.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Spent a good part of the weekend reinstalling the full gearcase (chaincase?) on my old Humber 3-speed frame. I thought I had misplaced the original bolts (which would have been hard to find) but found them in my parts box. Never installed one of these before, so I had to improvise how to thread the chain through the case, around the chainwheel (no clearance) and back out the rear. The gearcase really adds to the old-timey look of the bike. Also installed some Kool-Stop brake pads on my sidepulls for better stopping this season with my BMP/Honda GX35 setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg humber1_031311.jpg (187.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg humber2_031311.jpg (180.4 KB, 33 views)

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner