Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:04 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Okay, I saw somebody mention in the chat box up there ^ that today was National Motorized Bicycle Day. I didn't know if that was true...nor did I actually care; I figured "Any excuse to go for a ride". Now, I didn't really *need* an excuse, but it made for a good reminder anyway. And in case it was a real holiday of sorts, I thought I would do my part to promote awareness (yeah, that's the ticket). So I cruised around the neighborhood here, and checked in with some of the kids whose bikes I'd fixed before. So far, they've all been holding together, which I guess means I've gotten caught up for a while. Waved to a few other "full-size" motorcycle owners who know me. Made a couple fast runs on a quiet, long, straight side-road. Tempus still has it where it counts; she can still go at a good clip. And the new bulb I put in the headlamp is decently bright; even in just twilight. A very pleasant evening ride altogether.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 10-09-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_Wrench View Post
Okay, I saw somebody mention in the chat box up there ^ that today was National Motorized Bicycle Day.
That was me, and it is not National Motorized Bicycle Day, although not a bad idea Allen.

Any day you ride your Motorized Bicycle is Motorbicycling Day. Just a phrase I like to post from time to time to wish all our members to have fun and a great day on their Motorized Bicycles.

Motorbicycling.com = Motorbicycling Day is where I came up with that.

BTW...
The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated the second Saturday in October of each year as National Motorcycle Ride Day. This day is designated to get all motorcyclists in the USA and the world out and on their motorcycles for a united day of riding. Which just by coincidence is today

Last edited by Dave31; 10-09-2016 at 01:39 AM. Reason: BTW
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Cool! Good to know. I'll have to see if I can make up a note to put it on next year's calendar.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 10-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

i made some new spokes for my 12 inch chopper today

I had noticed something was odd when a freind rode away from me, the wheel seemed to bend to one side. upon closer inspection i found 4(!) broken spokes. they had sheared off at the hub on the back side of the mushroom. I assume they were cut by the twisting action. there were also some burrs on the hub.

When I removed the rag joint i found 3 more broken spokes. The entire hub assembly could rotate or twist a little.

I am not really surprised by any of this. The wheel is only 12", the 24 spokes don't even cross, i have a small-ish rear cog, i weigh like 275, and this bike was really made for very little kids.

I smooothed the burrs off, and cut "new" spokes from an old wheel. I purchased a hozan c-700 threader. It worked great, but i removed the crank arm and chucked it up in my cordless drill.(make sure you don't have any burrs and oil before each cut)

I tensioned the spokes quite tite. There are not vey many, and twisting seems likely.I should have probably replaced all the spokes, but we will see how it goes...

gonna get the wheel back on tomorrow and go for a putt.
el

ps new spokes are silver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161009_164724a.jpg (214.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by el Diablo Guapo; 10-09-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

My 12 year old son and I finished a build. We put a flying horse motor from Bikeberry into a 3G IslaVista. I have to say that I had tons of fun doing the build and so did my son. When I opened the box I found the gas tank to be damaged and thought that I was in for trouble but everything went together pretty well. We were out today breaking it in... Hopefully Bikeberry will send me a new tank.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Diablo Guapo View Post
i made some new spokes for my 12 inch chopper today

I had noticed something was odd when a freind rode away from me, the wheel seemed to bend to one side. upon closer inspection i found 4(!) broken spokes. they had sheared off at the hub on the back side of the mushroom. I assume they were cut by the twisting action. there were also some burrs on the hub.

When I removed the rag joint i found 3 more broken spokes. The entire hub assembly could rotate or twist a little.

I am not really surprised by any of this. The wheel is only 12", the 24 spokes don't even cross, i have a small-ish rear cog, i weigh like 275, and this bike was really made for very little kids.

I smooothed the burrs off, and cut "new" spokes from an old wheel. I purchased a hozan c-700 threader. It worked great, but i removed the crank arm and chucked it up in my cordless drill.(make sure you don't have any burrs and oil before each cut)

I tensioned the spokes quite tite. There are not vey many, and twisting seems likely.I should have probably replaced all the spokes, but we will see how it goes...

gonna get the wheel back on tomorrow and go for a putt.
el

ps new spokes are silver
They make some scooter wheel like that with heavy gage spokes, maybe find one and get a wheel ready just incase............Curt

Here is one site https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...h+heavy+spokes

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/...terwheels.html

Last edited by curtisfox; 10-09-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add to
Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default thanks!

thanks those links are great! never thought of that particular search

today i went out to start the bike, after reinstalling the wheel etc.
but after rolling around a bit the tire popped with a loud pop- must have pinched it i guess. it blew the wire off the tire edge, so now i will be getting that too.

heh.

el
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I started from scratch a bike with nothing but old parts and old rusted bicycle parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.JPG (453.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Lamo_Insano; 10-21-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboellner View Post
Found my left peddle loose, so I tightened it (left hand threads).

Then realized it's stripped out... S.O.B

I'm gonna look like a fool riding a bike with one crank arm til I get a new one.
Lol yeah I rode with my toe balanced on the crank arm for bout two months. Felt crazy an unsafe but I made it around town an too an from work.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

The peddles are left and right threaded, this is what happens when a leftie is screwed into a righty

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner