Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I added a set of proper turn signals. Two red in back and two amber in front.

LEDs with an automotive LED compatible flasher unit. I got a little box that holds 8 AA batteries in series, giving 12 Volts. I couldn't find an On/Off/On switch at the auto parts store. So I got two On/Off toggle switches and put one on each handlebar near the grip. Mounted them on the hold down bolts for the brake/clutch levers. So activating them is simply a matter of reaching over with my thumb and throwing the switch. If I throw both at once, then I've got 4 way flashers.

More than half of my riding is after dark. And I used them tonight on my way home from work. It was definitely a more secure feeling signalling my intent to traffic in a way that everyone would see and recognize. I should have done this a long time ago.

This was a hurry-up job. So the wiring is not all that neat and tidy, for instance. And I was too rushed to be taking pictures in any case.

But I'm building another bike right now. And this one is meant to be very tidy. I'll build a better set of turn signals for that bike. And I'll get pics of that.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Regarding turn signals and whatnot: I'm looking at rigging up the same for my bike. I have some Mini Bee lights in amber and red on the way, and I'll be getting out my soldering iron and going to town in a while.
For right now, since it isn't yet street legal per the latest laws, I've been just riding ol' Tempus around in the mobile home park I live in. She's been tweaked and tuned and is humming about as well as I can possibly get her to. And during the latest ride I encountered a fellow resident who built and was riding his own motorized mountain bike. It had an HT with an Angle-Head and the usual other standard kit parts. From what I could take in at a glance he seemed to have done a good job with the assembly. I plan to try to get his attention at some point just to learn more about the man.

So, fellow Indy motorbiker, in the off chance that you may already belong to this forum and may also be reading this, if you're the guy in the Indianapolis area with the newly-motorized mountain bike who lives in the Skyway mobile home park, then I am the guy with the red vintage-looking balloon-tire motorbike who's been cruising in laps and stopping to adjust things. Don't be afraid to ride up and say "Hi". Join our noisy, smokey, buzzing little fellowship.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 03-08-2016, 07:54 AM

Picked up a pullstarter at a garage sale like 2 years ago. Finally chopped my crank arm up to fit it. Man those things are wide! I like it!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 PM

i went for a 31 mile ride today, it was glorious.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 PM

...wow...this place really slowed down over the winter. Most likely start to pick up here pretty soon with spring coming.

I've been planning my electric build but other than that not much of anything bike related. It's going to cost as much as an electric scooter but those little things would embarrass me to ride seeing as how I'm 6' 1" and 220#
Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 PM

I disassembled and sanded down a Vista Workhorse, which is apparently is an industrial bike . It has thick spokes and a great coaster brake. Tonight I sprayed the fenders and mounted the wheel sprocket. It has a triangular frame which makes mounting the engine a snap. I was just before buying a Wallyworld Huffy Cranbrook for $89 but found this on Tulsa Craigslist for $75.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 PM

I had a new exhaust made, it still needs to be bent and fixed to work properly as it has made my bike slower. so i stuck the stock back on for now.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:13 PM

I stupidly broke my air filter by leaning it against a wall, so I replaced the filter with a better one.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Got plans for remodeling old "Tempus" here. I spent much of the afternoon trimming the head tube of an old springer fork, so it will fit my current JC Higgins frame. Then I plan to disassemble the whole fork and prep the parts for red paint.

And later I'm going to need to start making brackets for my new headlight housing, and the new turn signals. Gonna update her vintage styling into at least the late 'teens. For now, she's still wearing the mock carbide lamp.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 PM

I ordered a rear fender rack yesterday. I intend to have a piece of stainless bent to fasten to it and extend down the sides to mount some little hard bags on . This will allow me to carry a motorcycle battery to run lights and turn signals. I had to get one that mounts to the seat post as my bike has a single tube extending to a U shaped rear upper frame. I find the crank hits the muffler. It has been a PIA as I had to torch it to miss the front down tube.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner