Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Blue, have you put any thought to tire chains? They're actually really easy to make, and are on my to do list. I've done them out of logging chain for my old dump truck. I've done them out of staples for 1:24 scale RC rock crawler. I guess a bike is somewhere in the middle.

I've seen a premade set online, but they're pricy, and I'm cheap. A trip to the chain section at you local hardware store could save some serious cash. And maybe some skin.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM

I have thought about tire chains. But I'm likely to ride on long stretches of clear pavement even when snow is out and about. And I'm thinkin' tire chains and clear pavement aren't gonna match up all that well.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:02 PM

Oh the chains and pavement will get along fine, it's everything around your tires that will be ungrateful. Well, studded tires should do the trick, and they're easy enough to make. Far easier than engineering a track kit, which I've heard someone's working on. Tracks on a bike sounds like too much to me.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Today i hopped on my two stroke and tore through town. purposely going to areas that i knew would be congested with traffic so i can absorb the hate as i tore to the front of traffic afterwords i went to the pump and filled up for 90 cents. yes.... life is good.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods View Post
I have thought about Airwheel A3. But I'm likely to ride on long stretches of clear pavement even when snow is out and about. And I'm thinkin' tire chains and clear pavement aren't gonna match up all that well.
Gotta love riding out in Nevada, don't have to worry about the snow, moreso the angry drivers on the road! But they shouldn't be that bad of a matchup on clear pavement.

Update: things are heating up here! Almost hit 90 degrees yesterday, summer is right around the corner!

Last edited by johnnywheels; 04-07-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 AM

I'm doubtful about chains on two counts.

One is that I figure that pavement will wear out. and break, ordinary cheap chains. And I suspect chains might get slippery in certain low-ice conditions.

I don't really know about the whole slippery thing. And I'm a bit reluctant to experiment.

It's always seemed to me that chains would be good for actual snow, but probably not so good for slick ice.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 AM

Chains will were out faster then the pavement, have had them on car before 4x4's were a fad turned to a necessity. Pavement is like a grinder on chains, good with snow but bad without. Even on my tractor with blower, blowing snow i have to fix every year,replace links..............Curt
Old 11-22-2015, 07:56 PM

That's actually what I meant, everything around those tires will literally get hammered when the chains let loose, and after awhile on clear pavement, they will. Lost more than one mudflap from that, and the front shock on my TopKick too.

Chains are at their best on ice. The best answer to deep snow, (in a tire, in my experience) is an agricultural type tire, with a wide spaced, deep "V" tread pattern. The wider the better.

Blue, in your situation, my experience points to a semi-aggressive studded tire, with as wide a footprint as possible. It sounds like your road conditions change a lot by the mile, much like here on the Rim. Riding on dirt roads this time of year, adds yet another set of variables to the mix.

I say "Semi-Aggressive", because if the lugs are too tall the studs won't grip. You don't want to make your studs too long, or they'll pull out. Mountain bike tires are typically quite thin, between the lugs. A semi-aggressive, Kevlar, road bike tire, with the studs placed between the lugs, should be a good compromise. This should allow enough material between lugs to hold a screw, or other "stud".
Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 PM

Yes, mogollonmonster, my road conditions do change. I ride on some decent pavement. But I also ride gravel shoulders and surfaces that aren't far short of 'cross country'.

I have a couple of sets of manufactured studded tires for my pedal bike.

And for my motored bike, I'm making a set of studded tires right now. The studs are outside enough that they're at nearly a 45 deg angle from the centerline. I'm passing them through the lugs for strength. And I'll be cutting them off something a bit less than 1/8 inch from the surface of the lug. No doubt I'll lose a stud from time to time.

But if I lose enough to worry myself, then I'll just pull the tire and replace missing studs. That'll be easy enough.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:09 PM

Sold it...took it to the swap meet... 20 min. later she had a new owner.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner