Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
I don't weigh enough to have problems with 14ga, but I can throw a set of 12s into a wheel in about an hour (which could have been 1/2 hour back when I was much younger) - seems a shame to spend for a whole new wheel.
That would help bro, But better if laced into a steel rim.
fatdaddy.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:57 AM

Dang it I hate it when you guys are right; it always costs me money. Hit a pothole or somethin today, chain came off and destroyed five spokes on the drive-side rag joint today. First time in 200 miles I get a car ride home. Spokes are 13g. I do not have replacements.

Not knowing what to do! Want to do the SA drum brake rear, re-lace to 48 spoke and drill holes sprocket in the hub. Good or bad? Need a rear brake have no welder.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:37 AM

sounds more like a problem with keeping chain tension tight rather than a spoke problem - throwing a chain with stronger spokes might have just snapped the spoke anchors right off the hub
Old 07-18-2015, 04:02 PM

You're right. I have another wheel with almost the same exact dimensions (but a cassette) so I'm gonna swap some spokes over.

Gotta find a better way to tension the chain.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:42 PM

Today I had a little time to play so I got my kx pipe set up and ready to install on the new build... I used the header adapter Fred sells and just had to cut the pipe in one place to re clock one bend, then trim it to match up to the header adapter. I chose to braze the pieces back together since I've never had a braze fail on an exhaust and it takes less time than setting up the tig welder.
I still need to re clock the stinger so it points straight back, then I need to find and aquire a silencer then that part of the build will be done.
The bike is coming close to completion but I still need to take the jug back off and match port the header adapter, intake, and install the piston rings, the cdi still needs to be mounted under the engine, and all cables and wires routed neatly and trimmed if needed.

Here's the bike as it sits now.... finally starting to look close to finished as progress is very slow on this one....

Old 07-18-2015, 11:05 PM

Looks real nice dave..!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:24 PM

Dave where did you find that air filter adapter?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 AM

Well the spokes from my donor wheel were a bit longer but with shorter nipples, so removed all the spokes from the drive side on my broken wheel (all were bent or broken) and installed the ones from the donor wheel. When it came to tightening and truing I found that the spokes were a few mm too long, so I took them out, relaced the drive side 4x instead and used the longer nipples that were originally on the wheel.

This is a first for me... 4x on drive side and 3x on right side. Test fit my rag joint sprocket and no interference.

Tomorrow will reassemble the back end of the bike and get it going.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:53 AM

i get the hub adapter and sprocket for 58 shipped to me
Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaydos View Post
Dave where did you find that air filter adapter?
The air filter adapter is from a Yamaha pw80, it slips right onto the 18mm mikuni carb I'm using here but won't fit the stock nt or speed carbs unless you make an adapter to fit this adapter... it'll fit on the mikuni vm18 perfectly like in my pic and it also fits the cns carb, and of course, the pw80 carb. I don't recommend using a cns carb on these due to how finicky they are to tune and they leak like crazy if you don't have the right intake...

The best carb for these engines is the NT or the NT Speed carb unless you're doing some more serious engine mods, then the mikuni vm18 becomes a good choice, and so are the Dellorto phbg 19 or 21mm carbs, these are a bit trickier to tune but will offer better acceleration and top speed. I was going 43mph on my mountain bike with a stock NT carb and 44 tooth rear sprocket so don't underestimate the stock carbs either... the larger carbs really help the acceleration once some porting is done and will allow for more top speed, just switching from an NT to an NT speed carb will give you another mph or 2 if you got decent porting and a good exhaust...

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner