Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Cool... do you have a pattern for making your cutouts to hydroform the pipe? or is it going to be trial and error?
Old 06-23-2015, 08:16 AM

im using the formula on http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/index.html to build it
Old 07-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Weekly maintenance- checked everything, inspected disc brake pads, changed oil, trued rear wheel, got replacement gas cap and sanded/cleaned/painted gas tank flat black. Checked air pressure, cleaned chain, adjusted brake lever.

Boring stuff
Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 PM

not today, but yesterday...
opened up a new engine for first time in almost 5 yrs... lol
ported it, followed Maniac57s posts. and a few others.
piston mods, following mapbike and rogergendron1 mods.
installed it on bike, as my last one bit the bucket, and i ride daily to from work.
so far.. so good
pulling like CrAzY! and power to spare... cant wait till its fully broken in, jetted, and get expansion chamber and head on it.

PS. only quick reply seems to be working ATM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:36 PM

For my bike finally finished, took it out for a quick ride. Everything holding up great, but would like a quiet exhaust as well.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:48 PM

Got a few more parts in the mail today but most of it won't be needed on this build so I saving it for my next build. Got my chain set up and everything fits without the need for a tensioner now I'm just waiting for some goodies from crmachine.com so I can get my kx pipe installed easier. I was making my own setup but buying one pre made will save me a lot of time I don't have a lot of right now. If this setup he makes is as good as it looks online I may buy a few more for my other builds I'm working at a much slower pace.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 PM

yz80.JPG well i got this today and tomorrow im going to be fabricating it to fit my baby the chrome bike with red tank and side covers
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 PM

Nice... I got 2 of them a few months back off eBay for like $40 for both pipes, one was immaculate and the other has a few dents that need to be fixed before it can be used, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.
I'm also planning on getting a few cr80 pipes since they work really well on these engines too. I'm sticking with the kx pipes for now since they should work best with the way my engines are currently tuned. I also keep my eyes out for used fmf fatty pipes that aren't too beat up and aren't too pricy. Last time I saw one of those at a good price tho just happened to be up for sale when I was too broke to buy it...
Old 07-06-2015, 11:31 PM

Are you going to run it open or did you get a silencer for it as well? I'm still looking for a good silencer that'll fit the pipe so this one won't be as loud as my other bike with the open KTM pipe... that one isn't too bad from a short distance but I re routed it so the stinger points to the ground, all that sound bounces off the road tho, and right back up to me so the ride it's self is pretty loud. I'm going to run my new pipe straight back so a silencer may help keep it from drawing the wrong kind of attention...
Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM

Nothing today, but a few days ago I took me an approx. 12 mile round trip ride to a nearby small town, on the way back I notice the bike felt a bit odd at 35+mph so I slowed a bit and looked back at rear wheel to find it had a fairly severe wobble, I slowed down and limped back home hoping the wheel would hold up for a few miles at low 20mph speeds.

It made it back just fine, but I wanted to say that I have come to the conclusion that a wheel with 14ga spokes, using a rag joint type sprocket coupler just doesn't hold up on my bikes on these rough dirt roads I ride on at typical cruise speeds of 35-40+ MPH

I've always been a bit concerned at how the kit coupler really stresses the 14ga spokes when its tightened down since it really pulls them outward like it does, but now after having three different 14ga spoke rear wheels on this bike and all of them having issues I have decided I will not be using a "rag Joint" on a wheel with 14ga spokes again.

My oldest bike has the rag joint on 14ga spokes and has more miles on it than all my other bikes and has had no issues so far, but it also has a much weaker engine and only cruises at 25-28 mph so that may be one of the differences compared to a bike that will cruise down these rough dirt roads at 40+ mph.

Yep the most recent wheel on the Kulana bike looks to have broke 4 spokes on the drive sprocket side under the coupler so what I will be doing to this bike next will be putting a rear wheel on it that has at least 12ga spokes and since I'm a huge fan of a good coaster wheel it may be getting that so I can just eliminate the rag joint coupler all together and use one of my hub adapters for a much stronger and more reliable setup.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner