Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBS View Post
ok so why are you having a hard time starting your jet engine? could it be because of the ignition system? did you remember to hold down the button on the opposite side of the fuel on line? if there is air in the float bowl you have to push it quite a few times to purge the air out of the float bowl this is the big reason ppl keep coming back to me for no start problems
yes I purge all the air out. doesn't seem to help. I am at the end of my rope and I am thinking about buying a pull start
Old 04-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

ok my problem is I have a guy wanting a 80cc motor on a adult tricycle any ideas on how to do this? i know ill need longer fuel and clutch cables and ill have to put a different tank on it i have a few rear tanks and was thinking of using a hub adapter to hook up the chain to it and also using a pull start on it but do any of you have a better idea? please let me know i want to do this for this guy hes severely disabled and cannot pedal to start and to go anywhere far im doing this as a pay it forward so when I or anyone near to me needs help it will be there for us to do what we need to do thank you and have a blessed day
Old 04-26-2015, 11:27 PM

Got any pictures of the trike?
I know most of them are of the step over frame type so there's no top bar to mount the tank in the normal way.... Mounting the engine on the other hand will be the easiest thing to do.
At the rear axle you could run a separate sprocket for the engine or you could use the center shaft where the pedal chain goes before a second chain goes to the wheels, you could put the 44 tooth sprocket on that shaft and a freewheel on the other side so it could still be pedaled but won't move the pedals once the engine takes over.

For starting the engine, pull starting is very effective and these engines can easily start on the second or third pull even in the dead of winter once the engine has been run a few times to loosen it's self up some.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:38 PM

its a cheap trike yes its a step through and i was thinking on using a hub adapter on the rear axel just cutting a few inches out of the axel tube
Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 AM

Another issue with the rear axles on these are that they're live axles which makes turning an issue but that problem can be fixed by making up a differential so each axle half can get power from the engine but they can spin independantly from eachother... I saw one build where the builder made up a differential by splitting the axle then using a freewheel on each axle half so both wheels can still get power to them but during a turn the outside wheel will be able to spin faster than the inside wheel. His setup wasn't a true differential per se but it did the job just fine, in the middle of a turn, power only goes to the inside wheel since the outside wheel is allowed to spin faster.
This can be done using a set of freewheels on each axle half and running 2 sprockets from the intermediate shaft and a chain to each freewheel, or a more conventional differential could be used like those found in some older 80's go karts and atv's
Old 04-27-2015, 12:52 AM

Ya might want to think 4 stroke, pull start, recumbent. A regular adult trike is a very unstable animal especially for a disabled person. I've put engines on trikes and they become VERY unstable. A recumbent sits lower and stays A LOT more stable. A tadpole motorized recumbent is not a real hard build. I built this one last year.
fatdaddy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg David's Recumbent 003.jpg (521.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:53 AM

I know some of the older trike are set up so the pedals only drive one wheel, my grandmother had one that way when I was a kid.

Dont know how they are now though.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:09 AM

this is a older bike has a solid axel but only drives one wheel im trying to talk them into a electric powered front wheel will make it easier to control and cheaper to do
Old 04-27-2015, 01:18 AM

I'm still looking for an older post where a guy made a differential out of a set of freewheels, but in the process I see most people who use one harvested the differential out of old lawn tractors etc...

I do agree on the stability issues with one wheel up front vs 2 wheels up front, but stability can be added by lowering the center of gravity ( rider bight) and/ or widening the track of the rear wheels. Another way to help keep one from tipping is to use longer forks like a chopper with a steep rake angle,if raked correctly the front tire will begin to lose traction if the turn is too fast well before a rear wheel could lift off. This also helps the rider get used to the way the trike handles without the fear of tipping over.
I went on a ride a few years ago when I told my friend I couldn't ride since I just had back surgery about 3 weeks earlier... the guy tells me to take his trike... and I'm thinking " ya ... right" but he insisted I ride his 2009 Harley tri glide ultra classic so I agreed and we went for a ride with my wife and I on the trike and he rode his softail. He noticed I was hanging back at the turns and catching back up on the straights so he told me not to worry it wont tip over. Then he told me he was trying to lift off one wheel once after he got it just to see how quickly he could safely go around a corner. He told me the front tire will start to skid out but the back tires never left the pavement. After that I kept up with him the rest of the way to bandera Texas and all the back roads back to San Antonio... the trike was as stable as he told me it was and it did give plenty enough warning if I got too aggressive in the turns so there was plenty enough time to back off...
I'm sure one could set up a utility trike the same way by either moving the front wheel further forward or moving the rider further back and lower on the trike... just food for thought while setting this thing up for the guy...
Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBS View Post
this is a older bike has a solid axel but only drives one wheel im trying to talk them into a electric powered front wheel will make it easier to control and cheaper to do
Front wheel drive would solve a lot of drivetrain issues for sure... and the battery packs could go under the cargo basket behind the seat for more stability...

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner