Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

small town Texas is a whole nother world for selling things like this, I know I could sell a couple bikes probably, and I will in the future, but this is a small town area 20,000 population and loads of people here ride motorcycles.

Last edited by mapbike; 04-12-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:02 PM

Got a few things done today... First off I got my customer's bike done and started for the first time, like usual, the first start on a new engine took some effort but afterwards it was starting easier and easier, I just did a few heat cycles on the engine by starting the engine and reving it to keep it frfom sitting at one rpm, did this for about 15 minutes and shut it down once it reached about 300 degrees at the head. second start I did the same thing but rode it around in my parking lot until the engine got nice and hot then let it cool down. Tomorrow I'll check everything out and re tighten anything that may have worked loose as well as readjust the chain but otherwise this one's just about ready to give back.

Went to work mine some and ported out another new jug close to the same as the old one but with much wider exhaust port and intake port, I also knife edged both sides of the transfers on this one as well as opening up the transfer tunnels a lot wider. I still need to split the cases and match the transfers to the jug since originally I never bothered to do this... this engine was supposed to be a temporary fix until I could get my other engine done up right and the crank trued and balanced, but the Dax engine proved to be superior and the old engine is just for mock up builds now.
Once the porting was done I put the jug on the engine that's still in the frame and started to take measurements when I noticed something not so right about my frame's lower tube... Took the engine all the way out to investigate and saw the frame had a nice sized crack under the mount so with this bike having such a tight frame it makes it hard as **** to work on I decided to cut out the damage to weld in some fresh metal when I got the idea just to cut the bottom tube all the way out and put in a new tube that's smaller diameter but with thicker wall thickness... the original frame tubing was a LOT thinner than I thought... like 16 gauge exhaust tubing... Anyway, I got a new tube bent and ready to notch then I'll have to run and refill my argon bottle tomorrow and I'll weld in the new bottom tube along with some serious gusset work to make sure this frame is up to the task of going 40+ on a daily basis.

For my other build... I didn't get my OCC stingray frame this weekend so I couldn't do much there except clean up the wheels and re grease the bearings etc... I may also re lace the rear wheel with thicker spokes even tho I'm planning on using a Manic type rear hub adapter instead of the rag joint, those 14 gauge spokes just look really thin on that big fat wheel..
Old 04-12-2015, 11:08 PM

Here's a little frame carnage to show just how thin those Roadmaster MTB frames really are... I noticed a crack starting and decided to weld it up with my mig and blew a hole thru it... This told me that the metal was a lot thinner than I expected so I cut out the damage so I can weld in some fresh metal, but after seeing how thin it was I decided to go ahead and weld in a whole new bottom tube with a bend in just the right spot so I'll actually have some engine clearance on this thing...

Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFV8 View Post
So, for whatever reason someone transports his bike in the trunk of a car. Perhaps he does not have a truck.

I offered a solution to the problem - so what are you saying here?
Oh I duno..... maybe drain the tank and the carb before you stuff the bike in the trunk of a car....
The remark wasn't pointed in your direction.
It was in the direction of the guy , the trunk and the rain filled fuel tank......
Old 04-12-2015, 11:39 PM

Ouch... Dave yeah they changed those Roadmaster MTBs when theyquit making them in the USA, I have an older one that is a brute, heavies5 bike I have, I think its proba ly an old American made Murray, heavy tubing and all but just came with Caliper type brakes and its a 10 speed, it was my first build and still a solid old bike, just needs a fresh better balanced engine to be a good comfortable rider.

Great idea on putting a new heavier wall tube in, that should do the trick.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 AM

lol you guys are the vest!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that there are a ton of better stories on customers bikes any one want to start a new thread saying customer blunders go ahead and lets see what comes up LOL
Old 04-13-2015, 03:14 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

A close-up of the absolutely great angled manifold by FFV8 being used on my 4 cycle engine with an NT carburetor. This set-up works so much nicer than the stock carb I'm actually making plans on what to do next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 12 2015 (30jp).jpg (268.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 03:29 AM

A rear wheel shot showing my new adapter & 44t sprocket from Kings. The 1" adapter fit a hub measuring .988" perfectly, and I believe could have taken something even a bit smaller. Beautiful piece, especially compared to the stamped-out kit part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 12 2015 (16jp).jpg (476.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:27 AM

I really like that manifold... Excellent job by FFV8... I'll probably need to fab up one like that to get my Mikuni carb to fit in my bike's tiny frame...
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Brad, the man that constructs these manifolds does a great job, plus he sent a set of gaskets & all the fasteners I needed to do the job. Everything fit very well, & the NT carb I installed rather reminds me of what I once had on my Yamaha trail bike 40 years ago.
A big plus has been that so far I haven't had the needle jam as it did on the stock carburetor, which leaked more gas onto the ground then it ever sent through the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 03 2015 (4jp).jpg (239.0 KB, 23 views)

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner