Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods View Post
I had pretty much decided a week or so ago to convert my bike from multi-speed, derraileur type to single speed coaster brake type. Just for the simplicity of it. But since that means a fair amount of retro-fitting, I figured I'd wait until I had a good, solid few free days.

Then yesterday at about noon I walked on out to the bike, to run a short errand, and found a flat rear tire. So I figure I might as well go ahead and do the conversion if I have to pull that rear wheel anyway.

So it took me the rest of the afternoon to pull the rim brakes and clean up the cables and handlebars and install the new rear wheel. That wasn't really so bad. But I felt a bit crabby about it because I had other plans for the day. But...no big deal.

I got it all together as the supper hour was approaching. Took it out for a test run and toasted a wheel bearing. The one on the brake lever side of the wheel. That particular one seems to be a bit problematic; I've had trouble with those before.

So I replaced that bearing. I have one more as a backup. I'd better order some more. By that time the Sun had just about set.

So now it's morning and I'm waking up with a couple of cups of coffee. Then I go out and try to make sure that my bike is road-worthy. I've got a couple of hours before my work week starts. If I can't trust the bike, then it's a week of commuting by car. (Though I suppose my pedal bike could be ready without much trouble.) That's not the worst thing in the world. But I'd rather just have a working bike.

So wish me luck, eh?
Best wishes....bgw

Hope you got all the gremlins worked out of the motorbike.

having bearing trouble like that seems odd, but hey those thing happen.... I guess Ive been fortunate not to ever have an6 bearing issues with any of my bike wheels, coaster or multispeed, im sure eventually I will though.

I adjust my bearings welk and use a very good grease in them since I ride in such hot, dry, dusty conditions most all of the time, many of my rides are long and at a good clip with several miles on very dusty celiche roads before I even see pavement.

What brand of coaster hub are you running just out of curiousity?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Today I fiddled with the Ruixing carburetor a bit while running the engine without a filter. Wound up with what I believe to be the gas/air screw set at a spot that seemed to make the engine happy. Then, I took it for a ride around the block - good thing that it has pedals & that I managed to adapt that one-piece crank to function with the 4 stroke engine. Still running when I rolled into the drive, but the plug was badly fouled when I pulled it. Out came the wire brush.
I am looking forward to delivery of my angled intake & a plain 2 stroke carb with a choice of jets.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 PM

Searched for it some more. It was stolen Friday, March 27th.

My wife posted it on Facebook. 2 hours later someone took a picture of a kid riding it about 4 miles from my house. Been camping out there ever since, still nothing.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 PM

It's a brand new Shimano CB-E110. This is the first time I've looked inside one of them. Nice stuff. It was greased well with some grey-ish grease that I didn't recognize. Since I took it apart and reassembled a few times, some of that grease has been lost. But no matter. I'll be taking it apart again to make sure all is well when my weekend comes.

After this morning's post I took the bike out for a very short ride right in my neighborhood. All seemed well. Wheel turned freely and brake worked properly. So then I took it uptown. Total might have been as much as two miles. All seemed well. So I decided that it was trustworthy to go to work.

I got there with no problems. I went a good deal more slowly than usual, just to be cautious. When I got to work I found that the bearings had more play in them than I was comfortable with. So I tightened them up.

On the way home I stopped at the grocery store. Picked up some canned goods as well as a bit of other stuff. The load went into my rear cargo duffel and into my front basket. I overdid it. It definitely felt like the tail wagging the dog.

I had to go, again, quite slowly and quite carefully. There's some rough ground on my commute. But everything held together. I think I came through okay.

I'll still want to 'zero in' the adjustment of that rear wheel and it's bearings come Sunday. But it feels as though it'll be okay until then as long as I keep an eye on it.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 PM

Well I got my first shipment from BGF Motor on ebay which was a jug and 2 chains... didn't mess with anything today but checked out the jug to find it has the cat eye transfers and the tinyest ports I've seen on a 66cc yet... but at least it came with a straight intake I can bore out and save for later...
I could open up the ports on this jug but I got plenty enough flat transfer jugs for making fast. I'll just save this one for mock ups or if a customer needs a new jug, but then I would at least port it before selling it to anyone.
I should be getting the super rat bottom end Monday so I'll pair it up with one of my ported flat transfer jugs then decide which head I want to use on it. Of course, this means I need to start looking for a bike to put this on but I'm never in a hurry here... I got a small bmx from a guy a few weeks ago for $10 but that's gonna take a lot of fab work before an engine will even fit in it. Would much rather do a cruiser or another mountainbike if I can find anreally cool one.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 PM

yea I know what you mean I have bought parts and there not exactly what I wanted but will work with mods. im buying the carbide tips I need this weekend and going to start porting jugs and selling them. there are a lot of ppl calling me asking for the ported cylinders so I guess ill spend a few days porting!!! I think ill do 4 of them and one for ME LOL. im going to build MY BIKE THIS WEEK!!!!!! I have been building them for sale and keep selling the one I want cause someone wants one like mine so its break time from selling and time for me LOL
Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 AM

I get the same thing over here... everyone wants to buy my bike instead of me build them one, or they want my parts like the pipe I made or the Fred head etc...

For the cylinders tho, I do have a few sources for the better flat transfer jugs with much bigger ports... this just saves me a lot of time when porting. I got a few good sets of carbide burrs both for the dremel and for a regular size die grinder as well as sanding rolls for finishing and a few other toys to speed things up while staying accurate. I got one set of 10 carbide burrs off ebay for around $20 that can cut fast and another set that are 3" long for getting up into the transfer tunnels, these are all 1/8" diameter but different shaped and double ended so that 10 piece kit is the same as a 20 piece kit. These are also fine cutting so they're not really fast but they can get into just about any spot and can cut very accurately. I got this set off ebay as well... I can post the links if interested. Some other tools I got for porting are the harbor freight mini grinders these spin at 54000 rpm and need a good size compressor to use continuously, but a lot easier to handle in tight spots than the dremels. Then I got a pneumatic file that can cut nice flat areas quickly or I can use needle files in it when even more precision is needed.
by far the most useful tools I got are the carbide burr sets, they're quick, accurate, and can do just about any cutting task without the help.of the other tools.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:01 AM

well I hope that I can fins a supplier of motors that can keep up with my sales!!!! LOL I sold 27 of these last year and looking to sell 35 this year I am going to build MY BIKE this weekend im going for top speed around 48MPH new and maybe 53-52 when broke in!!! my Schwinn admiral does 43 and my kent fixie goes 45 I should get this bike in the higher 40"s im porting a cly right now im doing a flow chart that Edelbrock uses for there carbs and fuel injection but lowering the size down to our sizes. my next idea is can we add fuel injection to these bikes????? ill let you all know. im going to Jegs to look at there test area on the 4/9/15 to figure out if these are worth building I told him I feel that I have been insulted and he should consider what he will be losing that Motorized Biking IS BECOMING THE NEXT HOT ROD IDEA EVER TO HIT THE PLANET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you
have a blessed day
don bovitz
Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 AM

Here 's what I'm doin right now, new clutch came in today, and I'm gettin it on!!! Here are pics, with the old one also, those two springs that I added worked real good and are still on there, but as you can see, the pads are gone!! " Mc cready,..its gone!!!" anyway, the new clutch is heavy duty and kicks in at 2,650 rpms. It is American made, and fits on most motors that have 3 inch double shoe clutches. ( 76mm)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (714.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg clutches.jpg (547.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakenstein View Post
Here 's what I'm doin right now, new clutch came in today, and I'm gettin it on!!! Here are pics, with the old one also, those two springs that I added worked real good and are still on there, but as you can see, the pads are gone!! " Mc cready,..its gone!!!" anyway, the new clutch is heavy duty and kicks in at 2,650 rpms. It is American made, and fits on most motors that have 3 inch double shoe clutches. ( 76mm)
Were did you get it from?..............Curt

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner