Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

One of the things I got done today was I made up a laid back seat post out of the stock post on the Huffy Karaoke bike, been planning to do this for a long while since these frames are a tad short.

This make it feel so much better, set the seat back 4 1/2" and was able to lean the ape hanger bars back some for more comfort also, now when I get my new engine built for the Huffy its gonna be a real dream to ride.

I cut a large V in the post Shaft, bent it to where I wanted it, and then with a clothes hanger wire that I removed all the coating from, I used white Forney flux and my acetylene torch and mild steel brazed it all up and then slightly ground over the welded area just enough to smooth it out some.

Been a while since I did any torch welding with a clothes hanger so I enjoyed the process.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 AM

Yep for years my torch was broken,then a couple years ago got the parts to fix it. when first married that was all I had was torch,did all my steel toch welding ( good old clothes hanger ) and most was brazing with bronze rod. Using mine more and more now.
Seat post looks good.............Curt
Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM

for the first time today I was seen by a cop while driving my bike and was NOT pulled over.
also bought groceries.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfox View Post
Yep for years my torch was broken,then a couple years ago got the parts to fix it. when first married that was all I had was torch,did all my steel toch welding ( good old clothes hanger ) and most was brazing with bronze rod. Using mine more and more now.
Seat post looks good.............Curt
Yeah, I grew up around a lot of welding, Im no pro at it myself but have several family members that were, my dad has no doubt forgot more about welding than Ill ever know.

I do like using a torch.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:16 PM

I ordered more upgraded parts --- alloy rear wheel with a Shimano coaster brake and a Continental rear tire from Niagra Cycle.

Thanks, Shan!!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Well, I finally did it. After riding Tri-Baby, My Tadpole recumbent, for 3 or 4 years with the engine not lining up properly, I cut the old permanent engine mount all out and bolted down a new mount plate that can now be adjusted to where I need it. The old configuration was never meant to be used like this. I welded a threaded pipe to the wheel sprocket to thread on a freewheel for peddles to make it street legal and it didn't allow the wheel to go over far enough to line up the chain. Hopefully my problems in this area are over. I was running a 49cc on it till I ran it to death and had to go back to my original motor, A 33cc which still pushes it around pretty well. Time to start saving up for another 49cc I guess.
fatdaddy.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Yeah, I grew up around a lot of welding, Im no pro at it myself but have several family members that were, my dad has no doubt forgot more about welding than Ill ever know.

I do like using a torch.
Bought mine from my uncle and thought myself,wit a lot of questions. Not a pro eather but good enough for me, LOL.....Curt
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM

Good job on that seat post map... When I did mine up last summer I did it pretty much the same way but used a miter chop saw to cut the post at a 45 and welded it back together with the TIg welder, but I could feel it flexing when I was riding so I took it back off, stripped off the paint and welded in a brace that runs from the seat mount to about an inch down the post which made it feel a lot more rigid. I just made my brace out of 1" angle iron and so far it's held up to any abuse I've thrown it's way.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
I ordered more upgraded parts --- alloy rear wheel with a Shimano coaster brake and a Continental rear tire from Niagra Cycle.

Thanks, Shan!!
You're very welcome Mark, glad I was able to help in some way, hope it works out great for you.

I been painting primer coat on the trim of my workshop today and then after slinging that paint brush in the 90+ Texas heat today Ive gone into the shop with a couple fans blowing and done a little work on "Taffy" as you suggested I call this bike.....lol!
Im thinking thats gonna be her name, yellow frame, black forks, hrome wheels, red balloon cruiser tires.....

Taffy works for this one....
Old 03-29-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfox View Post
Bought mine from my uncle and thought myself,wit a lot of questions. Not a pro eather but good enough for me, LOL.....Curt
welds dont have to be pretty to be good and strong, they just need to be done right with good penetration so the parts are fused together well.

Seen many shallow weak welds that looked real nice but failed when they got under pressure.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner