Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Built my frame, bought gasket material, and tomorrow will have new carb.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBS View Post
you especially want the al thread connectors when you go to the fred head the regular nuts seem to "get lost" in the head since there is taller fins LOL just a suggestion
No worries there... the genuine Fred heads come with the extra tall nuts already and I prefer those over all other options, besides that they also look great and no worries about bottoming out on the acorn caps.he also sells the brass exhaust flange nuts which are far better than steel both for their anti seize properties and the softer metal tends to stay put better.... ever since I started using these I've never had to retorque an exhaust nut. The intake side gets self locking nuts and the studs are locktited in with blue locktite so everything there staysnpit very well too.

For the stock slant head that's on it now I took off 1 mm and polished the combustion chamber for better detonation prevention as well as compression, polishing the combustion chamber also helps prevent carbon buildup.

This bike is built for cruising and putting thru the neighborhood but with just a little extra go power if he wants to try it. I got the better jugs at the shop to make a screamer if he decides he wants a 40+ mph beast or even more acceleration I can set up onenof those jugs and add in a 50 tooth rear sprocket so it'll still top out around 35 mph but get there fast.
for now I'm sure he'll be happy just to have it running, the extra power is just the icing on the cake.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 PM

just use a zip tie they work very well at clamping the fuel lines
Old 03-15-2015, 10:00 PM

I buy those small spring clampsnfor the fuel lines, they hold really well and stay perfectly round plus they go on and come off real easy. Sometimes I can get the ones that have the extra long tabs so they can be released and installed without needing pliers.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 AM

Got some more goodies in the mail today so I installed my new hydraulic caliper and master cylinder today after I closed up shop... world of difference in stopping power... these things can flip the bike now if I pull the lever too hard, and that's with the little 160mm rotor...
I also got a set of Kool Stop Salmon pads for the rear brakes but ran out of time before I could install them, and I made some small progress on getting my 21mm carb to fit the engine but it won't fit in this small frame so I may have to set it aside for my next build and use a smaller 18mm Mikuni on this one.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 PM

Fired up my Bridgestone/Mitsubishi chain drive 35cc , and it just..SSSCREEEEAMED!!! This may, it will be 7 years running. last two days, I rectified my spark lead, solderd on a new ground, and added a third spring to my clutch, did some gas tank work too. My magneto braket, broke right off the engine but as long as the mag stays tight up against the motor, it wont go anywhere, so i used hanger strp. I also added some high heat shim gasket papper between the mag and motor head. here are pics. The papper stikin out is my mag clearance gauge. ( two cig pak card board stuck together. ) My clutch springs work really well, and have not smashed up yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch 141.jpg (328.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg clutch 142.jpg (771.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg clutch 145.jpg (609.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg clutch 146.jpg (699.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Blakenstein; 03-19-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add the word screamed.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 AM

Oh my that takes me back, - fag packet shims. I had friends who did that with their old British bikes back when I was in my 20s.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 AM

ya, its a little trick I learned in high school small motors. ( 4 stroke lawn mower ) , but the gap then was much smaller like two peices of writting papper.
On my 48cc Bridgestone the factory gap is 3 fag pak cardboards.
My clutch pads are worn out bad so im gonna get new one from dealears, they sell same motors as boat trolling motors now, but clutches are the same.
Anyway, i find my clutch on websites for $13.oo however, the Bridgestone factory clutch is $ 70.oo . I'll get the Bridgestone clutch and then get HP springs fron other websites.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:26 AM

After reading the last 3 or 4 pages, I feel like a slacker!! Oh well, tomorrow's another day.........
Old 03-20-2015, 01:02 PM

I had to do away with the changes I made over the winter since the bike hated every one of them. I had bought some opti 2 and mixed up a gallon of (recommended by someone) premium gas.
I also swapped out my magnet for a different one to see what difference it might make, and rejetted for the opti 2 at 100:1.
I guess the premium gas was old in the gas station's tank, or something, but the bike lost all its snap. I gave it 15 miles to settle in, but it only got worse. I ain't blaming the opti 2, but it also seemed to get hot pretty quick.
Then it started dying at idle, and I decided to undo all of it and get my good running bike back.
Took about an hour but I put the #66 jet back, drained the gas and the can, put the original magnet back on, mixed up some regular gas and valvoline oil and took it for a spin.
Shewww!
That was a close one. I also ordered one of those longer, black pipe exhaust systems (not expansion chamber, just a muffla) and will put it on after I do a minor change to the muffler.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner