Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Ithis one wont even fire with a shot of ether down the carb so it looks more and more like the wrong mag rotor making a spark but way off timing so it wont fire.
That sounds about right, In my opinion, if the key was good.
just a quick question on fuel delivery, does that engine have a reed valve as part of the intake system? maybe the reed is stuck- will it fire if you spray a shot of good fuel into the spark plug hole and put the plug back in?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Yup... the key is good and I attempted the start with fresh fuel and freshly rebuilt the carb... so pretty much the only thing left is bad timing unless the magnet is so weak that it can make a spark outside the cylinder but not under compression, but I doubt that's the problem since it's spark is nice, bright, and strong. Didn't have time to lookat it today but I'm leaning more and more toward it being off timing. This engine is still piston port and not modified in any way but it's possible the guy got a lemon from the start or got that mag rotor off another engine where the keyways might be clocked different enough for the timing to be too far off to fire the cylinder, I know the fresh fuel is making it into the cylinder too since it is coming out the exhaust pipe after motoring the engine for about 30 seconds with a cordless drill.
Since I got another engine on order I'll most likely just install that one on his bike and keep his old one since there's like zero wear in his cylinder and on the rings, then I can take a better look at it once I got more time and find out exactly why it's not starting. I may put on one of my spare mag rotors to compare the clocking and see if he just got a bad rotor or the key slot on that crank is in the wrong place.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:07 PM

Got a chance to do a test run with the 40 tooth rear sprocket installed and top speed felt faster but once I got to the resturaunt I noticed my gps was turned off on my phone, then on the run back the engine cooled down too much and I really didn't have enough time to let it properly warm up but was still able to record a 40mph top speed reached 4 stroking all the way...

Also my 21mm carb finally got here and it's a perfect fit to the intakes MZMiami sells on ebay except it needs a small section of hose to couple the 2 together since the Dellorto clone is a spigot mount type. It'll probably be next weekend before I'll have the time to install and tune it since I set up a job this sunday to change out a rear main seal on a customer's car and won't have the time to mess with the bike this weekend.

Last edited by Davezilla; 03-10-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Got a chance to do a test run with the 40 tooth rear sprocket installed and top speed felt faster but once I got to the resturaunt I noticed my gps was turned off on my phone, then on the run back the engine cooled down too much and I really didn't have enough time to let it properly warm up but was still able to record a 40mph top speed reached 4 stroking all the way...

Also my 21mm carb finally got here and it's a perfect fit to the intakes MZMiami sells on ebay except it needs a small section of hose to couple the 2 together since the Dellorto clone is a spigot mount type. It'll probably be next weekend before I'll have the time to install and tune it since I set up a job this sunday to change out a rear main seal on a customer's car and won't have the time to mess with the bike this weekend.
excellent.......
Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 AM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Smile Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I parked it and pedaled my mtn. bike in the dirt today

A great day off today!

Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy respect.....you have to earn it"
==================================================
Old 03-11-2015, 12:08 PM

I go the flu and haven't touched my bike.

Nature is friggin hilarious.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:26 PM

Just getting over the flu from last week... I feel a LOT better now but still coughing up all kinds of neon green stuff...

Did another speed test run again this morning but again not enough of a warmup, but was able to get it up to 41mph while 4 stroking like crazy... Maybe when I get to the shop in the morning i'll let the bike warm all the way up before leaving the shop and see if I can get a few more mph out of it... Acceleration with the 40 tooth rear is also very close to the same as it was with the 44 and it seems just a bit better on the pipe.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 AM

Hercules maintenance day today I spent the afternoon working on both my Hercules trike and my Hercules bicycle. Both are essentially the same in most respects only my bicycle is English and entered this world 63 years ago and is in completely original condition with a respectable patina of age.
My trike is based on a 12 year old Indian made ladies Hercules bicycle which is still a current model being made by Tungsten Industries who are the (cough, cough) present owners of the Hercules trade mark.

It has taken some work to get the younger Hercules into reliable condition because the fasteners the Indian factory uses are complete rubbish and most of the fittings were stamped out of not especially good quality tinplate. As for the plating on the wheel rims, handlebars & etc, spit on them and you can watch the rust form before your startled gaze. Folk might slang off the Chinese and their bikes, but my heavyweight Wu Yang ladies bicycle is streets ahead of my Indian made Hercules in terms of quality.
However the use of proper British fasteners and fittings have brought the younger Hercules to heel and up until now it has been very reliable. Unfortunately it is now back in the dog house as I have discovered during the maintenance session today that a ball bearing or two in the bottom bracket have started to break up. I am not surprised given the poor state of Indian metallurgy

On the other hand all went very well with my English made Hercules. Oil cups make lubrication an easy task and all the ball bearing races are as smooth as silk. Something I've done over the years is scour second hand shops and junk shops for genuine old bicycle tools and I take great pleasure in using these tools to maintain my elderly bicycles.
I don't like modern bicycles with their grease packed bearings; - though as we all well know most new bicycles sold in these decadent times are sold completely innocent of any grease on their bearing surfaces at all. When I take apart the bottom bracket bearings on my younger Hercules I will be drilling the bottom bracket casting for an oil cup and hopefully this will forestall any more unruly behaviour in that department.
I am in the process of building a motorised attachment for my Hercules trike so I really do want to make sure that there will be no further problems with poor quality components as I have a good deal of work for my trike to do once it's new modifications are complete.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:39 AM

Had a chance to start working on an engine Im building from a bare case into the pmouse motor for the Yellow Schwinn build I started last year.

Before I started on the engine I took a 10 mile ride to the post office to mail a package off, took the Green bike, was a good ride.

also did some port work on a jug and swapped multiple jugs out on a lower with a 40mm stroke crank to see how the different jugs I have time with all the ports at BDC and TDC, so many different configurations, its no wonder there are some many of these engine that run so differently, I have 5 different type jugs in the shop right now and port timing is different on every one of them on the same engine.

Having a good time with all of it though and thats all that matters right.....
Old 03-14-2015, 02:00 AM

I also gave noticed the difference in the cylinders theres even a difference in the cranks ive noticed too. I bought a "high performance" crank and the diameter of the bearing shafts are different only buy a very small fraction buy there is a difference that must be why some shake more than others plus the difference in the ports would explain a lot LOL. ive been building these for going on 4 years and ive seen a lot of really messed up ones and a few that were fast right out of the box I should have kept one of the faster ones for myself LOL

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner