Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Air chuck and 1/2" wobbly....
Ignore the ugly weld..... It's a prototype....
and my tig was otherwise occupied by a 28 Ford....

Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Looks good to me... thanks for sharing
Old 02-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Those '28 Fords can be so selfish

That's a really nice trailer hitch you've put together; - let us know how it works out on the road.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:55 PM

Will do....
Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

My first motorized build. Just finished putting it together10995345_10100730974259011_8671099561344527198_n.jpg
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM

What bike is that?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwestmesa View Post
My first motorized build. Just finished putting it togetherAttachment 76572
nice looking bike, I would like to critique two things I think I see that will likely cause you trouble.

Please understand Im not hating on your project, I simply making a suggestion based on what we that have built several bikes have found to to be good things to do and what we have found to be things can will likely cause problems.

First thing I think I see in the pic is that the rear mounting saddle isn't straight with the seat post down tube, it does look like you have the front straight with the front down tube but in my experience its much more important to get it right on the rear mount since it take more stress from engine torque, get the rear mount saddle flat on the frame and tight then snug up the front even if it doesn't saddle up perfectly flush between angle of mount and angle of front down tube.

Second thing I think I see that will most likely cause you to break mounting hardware is it looks like you may have put some pieces of rubber or something between engine and frame, if the is so, that needs to be removed before you start running engine, that will make felt vibes worse and it will allow engine vibe to transfer a if percentage of the energy directly into those little 6mm studs and they will either vibrate out or they will break, and many time they break flush with the case and that can require drilling them out, installing helium coils for repair.

once again, not be negative toward your bike, it looks nice, but I think I see a couple things that ate gonna potentially cause you trouble that can be prevented very easily before you start running it.

many of us here made those same simple mistakes on our first builds so we been there done that and try to help others on those things when we see what is gonna likely cause them trouble.

nice bike and best wishes, you're on the best forum on the web for this great hobby.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:29 PM

Might want to tighten up that chain too
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

First off thank you for giving my bike a quick critique.
Yes I put a piece of rubber bike tube between the frame and the mounts. I watched a video online that said to do so. So I should take those out? ok will do.
And then flush up the rear mount and let the front mount be a little off? I just figured the front one would be more important because its bigger and has the weight of the motor pushing down on it.

The bike is a Torker Alpental 26 with a Manitou Downhill fork.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwestmesa View Post
First off thank you for giving my bike a quick critique.
Yes I put a piece of rubber bike tube between the frame and the mounts. I watched a video online that said to do so. So I should take those out? ok will do.
And then flush up the rear mount and let the front mount be a little off? I just figured the front one would be more important because its bigger and has the weight of the motor pushing down on it.

The bike is a Torker Alpental 26 with a Manitou Downhill fork.
yes removing the rubber is a good idea, use a dab of loctite to secure mounting hardware and whatever you do be careful not to over tighten the nuts, they need to be tight but 6mm hardware is a bit fragile.

on the rear studs I double nut them, I just get the first nut good and snug then just a little more tweak and then I put a dot of blue loctite on in front of the first nut and then with a 10mm wrench on each nut I tighten the outer nut down real good against the other one, never had single issue since I started doing mine this way.

the rear mounting area takes the biggest beating from bump starting and torque of the engine pulling on it since you'll notice the drive sprocket is just in front of it and when the engine pulls on the chain the engine wants to rotate over to the left, nearly Everytime I've seen a rear stud break its been on the right side since the engine pulls hard on that one, this is why you do want to overtighten then, if they're tightened to the point of overstressing them the engine vibration will cause them to shear off fairly quickly and having rubber between engine and the frame actually intensifies those vibrations into the studs.

no rubber

good and tight but nut to tight

double nut with a dab of blue thread locker

and that should make it much less likely that you'll have an issue with the mounting hardware.

thanks for understanding Im just trying to be helpful and not critical.

map

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner