Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

did some changing on the newest green used to be a fixie bike, drive sprocket needed to be flipped over so offset would give more clearance between chain and tire, the 700c fixie frame is narrower than other frames Im accustom to dealing with and chain started making contact with frame now and then when chain was going through it initial stretching stage, that problem is solved now.

while I had rear wheel off, I decided to remove the single speed 24T freewheel because the one I used was one of the "Great Wall" branded ones and after only about 20 miles of use it was show signs of trouble, the Dicta Brand thats made in Taiwan is a good brand but stay away from the china made Great Wall brand, they're junk as I quickly found out, by the way "Sunlite" bicycle parts brand uses the better Dicta freewheel sprockets.

I replaced the single freewheel with a 5 gear multi speed freewheel, the chain aligned perfectly with second to largest sprocket and time it was all buckled up I didn't need to use the pedal side tensioner I had made for it either so that was nice, bothchains tighten equally now with no indler/tensioner on either chain.

I also drilled two 5/16" holes in exhaust end cap to help flow a bit, I took bike out to do a top speed on the flat test run and I guessed just right on what I kinda thought it was doing, that little mildly built GT5 is pushing that bike dead on 40mph with a 41T rear sprocket, NT carb and kit exhaust pipe that's had the flange ID reshaped to limit restriction by matching the port better.

I didn't use one of my better jugs on this engine that has much nicer ports than the one I did use, it has one of the medium sized port jugs with the slanted/cat eye transfers, I did spend some time cleaning the ports up and getting all the castinghumps and bumps out of all the ports, it has a "Fred Piston" in it with shallow ramps at transfers and I shaved the jug deck to give better compression and it has .025" squish clearance with the square Pedal Chopper type head.

This engine doesn't have the grunt power that my GenIV dax engines have, but its every bit as smooth running and considering how its set up, Im really impressed with it, each time I take it out its running a little better, Im not sure what vendor this engine lower originally came from but its a good one, mg coil was stamped 2012 so its not a new model like the ones dax is selling now and I hope those lowers run as smooth as this one does, this GT5 engine is the smoothest running engine Ive had outside of the dax GenIV lowers.

I've decided Im not selling the Green bike at least for now....lol!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 AM

After working on the Green bike, I rolled the old Huffy Karaoke bake into shop for some needed maintenance, noticed rear wheel bearing need adjusted and its sorts a mess, needs some TLC been on these rough dusty dirt roads a lot since I built it up goingon 5 years ago now, it has around 800 miles on it now and has never had a single mechanical issue with the bike itself, the engine is a big front mount engine from BGF that runs good but needs a good cleaning, Im thinking I may strip this one down and thoroughly clean it up and put it up for sale, gonna make up a strong layback seat post for it since those Huffy frames are so short coupled, who knows, it may get a new engine while Im at it since the old BGF engine is a jack hammer above 32mph and only comfortable to ride at speeds below what I like to cruise at on my multi mile road trips, tires are showing so weather cracking also, so they'll get replaced and the bike will get some new shoes.

Planning a couple other changes for the old Huffy also, time will tell what I manage to get done with the junk I have laying around.

Last edited by mapbike; 02-20-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Almost finished with the new bike trailer . 100 more feet of 1/4 " rope and it'l be ready to go.......
Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 PM

I rode down to the township on my Hercules trike for the first time in ages and I enjoyed every minute of it. People kept coming up to me while I was doing some grocery shopping to say that they hadn't seen my tricycle in town for a long time and it was nice to see it again.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Almost finished with the new bike trailer . 100 more feet of 1/4 " rope and it'l be ready to go.......
Cant wait to see what you have done boxcar.

Hope you'll share some pix when you get it finished.

Last edited by mapbike; 02-23-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Wheelwoman View Post
I rode down to the township on my Hercules trike for the first time in ages and I enjoyed every minute of it. People kept coming up to me while I was doing some grocery shopping to say that they hadn't seen my tricycle in town for a long time and it was nice to see it again.
Thats great, glad you had such an enjoyable time on the trike and made some others smile in the process...

Here in rural small town Texas we'd say you just had yourself a YEE HAW....moment!

If you have hanging around in your computer, share with us a pic of the three wheeled coach you speak of, I know I'd love to see it and I'm sure others would as well.

Shan
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Thats great, glad you had such an enjoyable time on the trike and made some others smile in the process...

Here in rural small town Texas we'd say you just had yourself a YEE HAW....moment!

If you have hanging around in your computer, share with us a pic of the three wheeled coach you speak of, I know I'd love to see it and I'm sure others would as well.

Shan
Well I had a hunt around and found a picture of the bicycle I used as the basis of the build around five years ago. There's two pictures of how my trike looked when it was newly built and the one with the windscreen is how my trike looks now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indianherculesep3.jpg (33.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg anniesherculestrike.jpg (106.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg anniesherculestrike2.jpg (120.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg HerculesTrike2015.jpg (262.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 PM

Worked on installing freewheel on one-piece crank, there doesn't appear to be anything manufactured to do this. It has taken some head scratching and a good amount of parts modifying but I think I have a solid fix.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Electric Enthusiast

Cool Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post

Shan
Mind you all texans might not feel the same way about the exlamations no matter how cliche they may be.
Im glad you had a good time in town, Post up that eye candy!\

edit: Dag nabit, im too late, you already did :P

what do you reccomend in the way of wind screens for those of us thinking about adding them to our rides?

Last edited by Semaj; 02-23-2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: too slow.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Wheelwoman View Post
Well I had a hunt around and found a picture of the bicycle I used as the basis of the build around five years ago. There's two pictures of how my trike looked when it was newly built and the one with the windscreen is how my trike looks now.
So is it still electric powered or have you gone back to pedal power only?

Thats a nice looking bike I Ww

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner