Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
"I don't lock up the rear, because they probably aren't bright enough to get the master link off anyways."

Famous last words.LOL They walk around with bolt cutters now days. But, whatcha gonna do? Ya lock it up the best ya can and pray.LOL
This might help but then agian.....?

This can easily happen even when all available options have been used

Old 02-16-2015, 04:16 PM

Worked on the Green machine bike build yesterday, still have a couple things to work out on it to get it where it needs to be, but its coming along good so far.

Had a strange thing happen to me on it yesterday though, first I found out the a standard NGK B6HS spark plug will not work with this type cylinder head when the cylinder deck has been shaved down to allow piston to reach optimal TDC.

Luckily I had a good Champion J8C laying around which worked out to be the perfect reach plug for my set up.

second thing that went sour was that the CDI and the mag coil went out after the second short ride, first time since 2009 I have had either of these two parts go bad on me, First I thought maybe it was just the CDI, I had an extra so I replaced it and still no fire, so I hooked the other CDi back up and pulled a mag off of one of my old broke down BGF engines, cleaned it up good and installed it, still no spark.... so I got the other new CDI and hooked it up again and bingo she busted right off and is running great.

I had kill switch hooked up Red wire to blue and Black wire to Black right where mag and CDi hook together, this was done with good sealed type crimp on spade connectors, engine was running fine, I pulled up out front of house hit kill switch, went in house for a few minutes to let it cool down some, then took off for another ride and she wouldn't hit a lick, so it seems that the last time I hit kill switch to shut it off is when they both fried.

Normally I always hook one wire from the kill switch to the Blue wire from CDI and the other to enginess rear mounting bolt as ground, never had an issue with it hooked up that way but the one and first time I hooked both kill switch wires to both of the CDI/Mag wires it knocked both of them out the second or third time I ran the bike..??????

Didn't imagine that would have caused an issue, but I wont do that again..LOL!

So, the engine is running great, best running engine I have had yet with a stock exhaust pipe on it, it does lack a little grunt power down low, but on the flat this engine really scoots even pulling the 41T rear sprocket I went with on this build, I'll have to check to know for sure with my GPS later but i think I'm getting upper 30's with this GT5 wtha stock exhaust that has been match ported to head as good as possible, a standard NT carb with jet drilled with #71 bit, the pedal Chopper type head, jug deck shaved to give .025" squish clearance between piston and heads small squish band and the 41T sprocket, it also has a "Fred Piston" that has small ramps machined in at the transfers and the skirt has been trimmed on the intake port side to allow the port to be open at TDC.

low vibes all the way through revs and the higher it revs the smoother it gets, this is the first GT5 long rod 38mm stroke engine I have had and I have to say that so far I'm really liking the way it runs, I think this engine will really come alive with a good free flowing exhaust taht will let it breathe like it needs to.

I'm thinking I will either keep this bike now or put a different engine on it and keep this GT5 for one of my other bikes, I was trying to set this bike up to be a good runner at 25-30mph and that is why I put the 41T sprocket on the rear and installed the stock kit type exhaust, yeah i did some other mods to help it out and hopefully make it a bit more reliable, but I didn't expect that it would possibly be a 40mph bike even with the stock muffler and a 41T sprocket...lol!

I'm not gonna sell a 40mph china girl build to someone, if they wont to mod it up for that they can, but I'm not gonna sell one that way.

I'm thinking my old Huffy may end up being the bike for sale since it runs great in the 32-34mph range as max speed and is a very comfortably cruiser at 28-30mph.

in the 20's &30's F here today and I have to work the next two days so my bike work is on hold until warmer weather allows.

Happy safe riding all and those of you who may be a bit on the fence about the GT% geometry engines, I can tell you based on this one that I have just got going that it has real potential and is way smoother than I had expected it to be, I pleasantly pleased so far with how its acting.

Map
Old 02-17-2015, 04:16 PM

Took my bike for a ride today, and I'm pretty sure we are through the break in!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 PM

How big was your smile
Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM

Ear to ear, with road salt thrown in my teeth!
I felt it right as I passed a group of kids throwing fist pumps into the air at me.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:01 PM

Yup... that's when the fun starts... after it's fully broken in and time to decide whether to ride it as is or start tuning on it to get it set up just the way you want whether that means screamin fast or nice quiet and comfortable...

I had a guy actually come by my shop today while I was doing an alignment for another customer so I came up out of the pit to see what the guy needed and he just asked me if he could take a closer look at my bike because he saw me riding it earlier in the morning and saw me pull into the shop etc... Come to find out the guy also has one but it's not working so he was asking me if I could fix his. I told him to just bring it by whenever and I can look at it and that I probably got enough spare parts in my stock room to fix just about any issues his bike may have. he also informed me that he has a lot of spare parts at his house like tanks and a few other parts so I think I'm gonna try and talk a deal for some of his spare parts in trade to get his bike up and running for him. From what he was telling me it sounds like he toasted his mag coil and I got a few spares at the shop already, but he was also saying something about he may have overheated it so I may have to give up my last stock piston to get his going, but I do need to order more goodies anyway.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Electric Enthusiast

Talking Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

so thats the sign? when your motor breaks in Groups of children start fist pumping at you?
You guys may have just swayed me to get a Gas motor for the experience of it...
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
This might help but then agian.....?

This can easily happen even when all available options have been used

laughing so hard I almost pee'd myself. A theif would take one look and just keep walking. Some things just aint worth it.
fatdaddy.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semaj View Post
so thats the sign? when your motor breaks in Groups of children start fist pumping at you?
You guys may have just swayed me to get a Gas motor for the experience of it...
something about the gas bikes that really get peoples attention, its similar to EC cars and trucks.

I have three intro powered vehicles that people go nuts over when I pull them out and go blasting off and up to about 50-60 mph blue smoke from the burning Castor oil jetting from the exhaust.

Pull out even a nice quality battery power EC vehicle and they see it as more of a toy rather than something awesome like the loud smoking screaming Intro powered vehicle.

Actually the higher end electric rc vehicles will out perform the Intro poweredin speed and quickness, but the whizzing sound of the battery power trucks doesnt do it for people like the intro powered ones do.

Yep you need you a well built good running 2 smoker build.....
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
$50 Cruiser

Well, since I'm so used to riding past gas stations, I ran it out of gas!
Pedaled on back and spent a whopping $1.40 to go another 100+ miles.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner