Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Cool... good price too. Ive bought pieces of aluminum sheet and bar stock from that seller before too, and he ships quickly as well. I think I may have got some end mills from his ebay store before also. Good guy to deal with and he usually has aluminum grab bags as well as other metals in different sizes and thicknesses. He might also have been the guy I got some 1/8" copper sheet from when I was trying out the cnc to cut intake and exhaust gaskets... which by the way I found that other 1/8" thick exhaust gasket after I moved all my cnc stuff to the shop so I'll send it yout way this weekend. The one I installed on.mine is working great with no signs of leakage.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Cool... good price too. Ive bought pieces of aluminum sheet and bar stock from that seller before too, and he ships quickly as well. I think I may have got some end mills from his ebay store before also. Good guy to deal with and he usually has aluminum grab bags as well as other metals in different sizes and thicknesses. He might also have been the guy I got some 1/8" copper sheet from when I was trying out the cnc to cut intake and exhaust gaskets... which by the way I found that other 1/8" thick exhaust gasket after I moved all my cnc stuff to the shop so I'll send it yout way this weekend. The one I installed on.mine is working great with no signs of leakage.
Sounds great Dave, just let me know what I owe you for it.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 AM

This one will be a freebee since this was cut to see how I could set up the machine's cutting speed and how deep I could do each pass etc... I still need to find a way to cut these in batches because the copper work hardens pretty fast so the one on my bike and this other one came out perfect then it started to chatter on the third cut. I'm thinking I need to cut the sheet down and anneal the pieces before I cut them in batches of 2 per cut. I knew copper work hardened but didn't know it got that hard that fast.. I've also considered making some from dead soft aluminum but I'm having a hard time finding sheets of pure aluminum in the thickness and quantities that would be practical.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
This one will be a freebee since this was cut to see how I could set up the machine's cutting speed and how deep I could do each pass etc... I still need to find a way to cut these in batches because the copper work hardens pretty fast so the one on my bike and this other one came out perfect then it started to chatter on the third cut. I'm thinking I need to cut the sheet down and anneal the pieces before I cut them in batches of 2 per cut. I knew copper work hardened but didn't know it got that hard that fast.. I've also considered making some from dead soft aluminum but I'm having a hard time finding sheets of pure aluminum in the thickness and quantities that would be practical.
Thanks Dave
Old 01-24-2015, 01:26 AM

Today was kinda slow again at the shop so I went into the stock room and started messing with that disc brake rim some more, put a tire on it after it was cleaned, bearings cleaned out and re greased, then repainted it semi gloss black.
I got the other bike in the stock room upside down while the wheel was off so I put the wheel back on that bike for now and kinda gave it a spin, then it dawned on me... I wonder if this thing is anywhere close to balanced....
I watched the wheel as it slowed down where it would go half way around slowing down,then speeding back up for the other half way around.. Then I slowed it s it would stop and as it comes to a stop, it starts to roll the other way, then back and forth until the heavy part of the wheel faces down.
With nothing else to do I grabbed a tire crayon and some wheel weights, marked the light spot, that was easy, let the wheel settle then mark it at the top. Next I taped a small weight to the lightest spot then rotated it 90 degrees by hand and let go, the heavy spot just went to the bottom again as if I didn't even add th weight. After adding more weight I finally got that side to become the heavy spot, then I just took off the weight and cut off a little at a time until I could stop the wheel in any position and it stayed put. After I was done I just folded the weight (the lead stick on type with the double sided tape removed) over the spoke it was taped onto and crimped it down with some pliers so it can't slide up and down the spoke.
Re tested it in several positions and noticed the weight was just a hair off once crimped to the spoke instead of taped to the tire so I cut another weight lengthwise this time and squeezed it over the spoke next to the one that already had a weight on it then fine tuned the balance until it would stay put no matter where I positioned it. I also spun the wheel slowly as slowly as I could, but so it would at least go around one full turn or so and it spun and spun and spun but finally slowed down to a stop. When it stopped the weighted spoke was about 45 degrees facing up. I gave it another slow spin and it stopped in a different position, and everytime after this it wouldn't stop at the same place or even close to it. This is how I know it's balanced.

After I was done it took about 2 1/2 ounces to correct the balance, which is a lot if ya think about it, but can only imagine what the wheels on my silver bike are like. I'll be checking them next and doing the same thing because there's gotta be a few more mph being held back from being off balance.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Tried leaning my fuel mixture by moving the c-clip. couldnt get the bike to start because my clutch is slipping again, froze my fingers trying to get the cover off.
maybe tomorrow...
Old 02-11-2015, 02:14 PM

Bought this clown looking bike a couple years ago at at clearance sale at a small town Walmart store for $49

I figured at some point I could make some changes and turn it into a decent looking motorized bike, the pix below are what I have got done so far yesterday.

Not sure how this engine is gonna turn out, crank doesn't look very true in it and I've had to repair the case where it was busted when I pulled mag cover off and seen an issue that was allowing dirt and muck to be slung into mag area, I got that fixed and done so good porting on the GT5 jug and well as shaving .030" of the deck and with that my squish has been brought down to .025", not a super tight squish but much better than it would have been leaving jug at stock height.

So anyway this used to be fixe bike is what I did yesterday, it has 26" wheels now, the frame has been spread to accept the multi speed wheel and I put a 24T single speed freewheel sprocket on the wheel, the forks are off of an old USA made Murray cruiser bike and the front wheel is ans older USA made wald wheel that is in excellent shape with 14ga spokes, the rear wheel is a new wheel master with 12ga spokes, pay no mind to the tensioner bracket, i plan to try to get this set up without a tensioner on the drive and possibly only use one on the pedal chain if need be, trying to decide what sprocket size I want on this bike, debating between 36T and 41T this will likely be a bike I will put up for sale if this engine works out to be a smooth runner at 25-30MPH, still multiple things up in the air on this one, but just thought I'd share what I have done to it so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150210_213443.jpg (238.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20150210_213605.jpg (209.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20150210_213626.jpg (250.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20150210_213657.jpg (244.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Looks better already... Can't wait to see what you end up with on this one...
Old 02-11-2015, 02:26 PM

Had to repair the case between mag and drive sprocket, looks like chain must have come off on previous owner and jammed between sprocket and case, the chunk that is missing now was still in place when I removed the covers but it was pushed in toward mag so I tried to easily force it back some and when I did it broke off as I had expected it probably would, no problems though, I have a couple sheets of .020' aluminum so i just cut a piece to cover the hole, drilled a couple holes through and pop riveted into place, had to grind a couple indentions in the clutch arm cover to allow it to mess back up since the rivets stand out a bit.

All fixed up now to keep dust and grime out of mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150209_184921.jpg (188.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20150209_184953.jpg (172.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20150209_185035.jpg (151.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:36 PM

Smile Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Looks better already... Can't wait to see what you end up with on this one...
Thanks Dave, still debating on what i'll do in a couple areas, trying to keep it looking clean as possible.

Trying not to use to much Texas Redneck Engine-Nudity on it.....LOL!!

It rides very smooth and comfortable as a pedal bike now since turning it into a 26er, I may have a hard time putting a for sale sign on it when I'm done..

One of my other bikes may get cleaned up real nice, a couple things changed for looks and reliabilty and it may be the one with the for sale sign on it, this bike just keep hollering at me and saying keep me, keep me....LOL!

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner