Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Talking Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck82 View Post
thanks guys... It kinda reminds me of something youd see in a mad max movie lmfao... Ive been piecing it together with whatever i have on hand at the time... It is still very much a work in progress... But its all coming together...
Not a thing wrong with that bike, we all do what we can with what we have to work with and in the end if we like what we have and enjoy it, thats all that matters..

Just build them with safety in mind and make sure all the ducks are in a row so to speak with mechanical stuff that is important and ride it and enjoy it.

we make them our own and that is just fine with me from the show bike look all the way to the just come out of the wrecking yard look like one of mine looks...LOL!

Old 01-17-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Ultimately id like to put a shift kit on it but thats so far out the budget s not even funny
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 PM

I got the "Half Breed" engine together and on the old Western Flyer bike, got to pull the jug back off though, got it running and found I have an air leak between jug and case, the solid copper gasket I used will be coming off and one of the gaskets I make up myself and normally always use will go on it since the mating surface isn't good enough for the thin copper gasket to seal up.

Not a big deal but I hate to pull thetop off after just getting it all buttoned down nice.

As soon as I get this one clicking good then I'll get started on the GT5 build that will most likely go on the old Black mountain bike and I will retire the old Red Bat BGF engine that although it runs good it will vibrate your fingernail off about 28mph, always been that way, crank is so out of whack it ain't even funny.

I'll just clean it up and set it on the shelf, it was my first HT engine back in 2009, it has lots of miles on it but I recently put a new piston and upper bearing in it, all that will come out and go into another engine at some point since it has less than 20 miles on it, I have an extra odd ball almost flat top piston like the one that came in this engine that I'll stick in it with a new kit type upper bearing, then buckle it all back up and stick it on the shelf as a conversation piece in the shop.

Had a great time working on the new engine and the old bike today in this mid 60's temps we're having this weekend, cold at night but about 65 mid day... real nice weather for tinkering outside.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 PM

Good to hear you got that one running... too bad about the case leak tho...
I had to mill off nearly .040" from the bottom of my jug too just to get it flat and true so it's either chuck it in a lathe and clean it up, or paper gaskets down there...

I was too busy to even start mine today, had to change out a set of hub bearings on an 06 Sentra as well as doing a LOT of inspections so the bike just sat lonely today...
Old 01-17-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Good to hear you got that one running... too bad about the case leak tho...
I had to mill off nearly .040" from the bottom of my jug too just to get it flat and true so it's either chuck it in a lathe and clean it up, or paper gaskets down there...

I was too busy to even start mine today, had to change out a set of hub bearings on an 06 Sentra as well as doing a LOT of inspections so the bike just sat lonely today...
Yeah the bottom of the jug is probably untrue and the case may not be as good as it needs to be either, it looks like it mates up nice and tight, but that thin copper gasket just aint gonna seal if it isn't dang near perfectly flat.

I'll just put some of that real stringy aviation gasket sealer on one of my home brewed gaskets and buckle her back down and that should be problem solved.

this thing sure acts like its gonna be a smooth low vibe engine, but until I can get it running right and get a few miles on it i wont know for sure what I have.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:11 PM

Greetings...hey its nice to look forward to the mailman..got some parts for my jackshaft mounted clutch. Wondering if the gearing will be easy takeoffs w/ 20-25 mph.. Any help appre. Motor 11 to js11 to clu.11(35chain) to 60 freewheel w/22 back to a 7speed 36 tooth...whatcha think..
Old 01-17-2015, 10:16 PM
$50 Cruiser

Talking Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Rode it, had hella fun! Heat wave here- 35 and no wind. Sketchy ice though.
MUST build a winter bike.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchbuilder View Post
Greetings...hey its nice to look forward to the mailman..got some parts for my jackshaft mounted clutch. Wondering if the gearing will be easy takeoffs w/ 20-25 mph.. Any help appre. Motor 11 to js11 to clu.11(35chain) to 60 freewheel w/22 back to a 7speed 36 tooth...whatcha think..
You should be able to cruise at around 25 mph pretty easily with that setup... what engine are you using so we can have all the info we need? A 66cc China Doll should hit those speeds easily with better acceleration from the lower gearing. What's throwing me off is the china dolls have a 10 tooth output sprocket so i gotta ask if your using a different engine.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 PM

Hey mapbike it sounds like you have a lot of crankcase pressure like we talked about.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:17 PM

Thumbs up Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
Hey mapbike it sounds like you have a lot of crankcase pressure like we talked about.
LOL... Yeah problem is that a lot of the pressure is going the wrong way.....

I 'm fixing to gather myself in a little while an go pull that jug and replace that gasket, I'd like to take it on it's maiden road trip today for some low speed break in time.

It seems that this engine is gonna be a good smooth runner, but until I get it running right and get out on the road I wont know what I have for sure, and of course the longer it runs it will smooth up a little more, @ about 50-75 miles all my engine were settled in to how they were gonna run as far as vibes were concerned, never notice any improvements after that, an untrue crank or a badly bablanced crank does improve with miles added, once the gear mesh good and smooth as can be and the rings get seated to give the best compression seal, the rest will just be what it is and either you have a well balanced engine or you don't, more miles wont change that, so I'll know fairly quickly what this engine will do, after about 30-40 miles I run them the way I plan to run them, I have never used a long 100-200 mile break-in period since I dont think there is anything to be gained or lost by doing that, if the internals of the engine are good and things are right, it will break in quickly and all the miles of easy riding aren't needed in my opinion, so I'll keep things tight and do a couple plug checks and run the shoes off of this one very soon is my plan Greg.

PS by the way, I got that Blutooth device paired up, you were right just needed to press and hold one button long enough for it to go into pairing mode.

Last edited by mapbike; 01-18-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner