Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Thanks, I was thinking about putting the swing arm on another bike that has a steel frame so I can weld the linkage brackets in and relocate the rear shock so it can be used but out of the way similar to Theon's last summer project, that would also allow me to convert this one to a hardtail, then the engine could bolt to the seat post and I'd need to make some brackets out of some billet bar stock since the bottom tube is an odd shape.
I'm still debating on just stripping all the parts off this one that I can use and saving the frame for something else too. I'm happy with the silver bike but putting that front disc brake on it is something that one can use, the V brakes just don't cut it when ya need to stop quickly from a high speed run. I've only been getting away with it now because the street I ride it on has no side streets and I got anough room to coast down to 20 or less before using the brakes.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM

Play nice now guy's. Yer both right, V brakes are just fine, except ya gotta watch the pads real close. I can lock up my wheel with my V brakes, how much more stopping power can ya get. I don't wanna lock it up at 35mph though so I wont be trying that. IF I could afford it I would have disc though, for reliability and longer life AND better stopping when wet. And ya gotta admit, disc has the COOL factor going for it.
fatdaddy.
Dan, did something get deleted??????? I was reading a debate about V brakes Vs. disc. Where'd it go????????

Last edited by fatdaddy; 01-14-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Deleted????????
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Lmfao, yall serving drama for breakfast? Too early.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 PM

Oh my... would somebody give me a "BRAKE" here.....lol!

I have never ran disc brakes on a bicycle yet, but I cant say that I use Cool Stop pads which I have found to stop me very good even at high speeds.

When I say very good I mean that based on what I think is slowing me down quick enough to hopefully avoid something if I needed to.

The Cool Stop pads/shoes do last longer than others I have had for sure but i have no doubt that they wont even come close to lasting as long as disc brake pads and wont stop a bike as good as disc brakes either.

I'd like to add something to this conversation though, one thing that hasn't been taken into consideration in this conversation with this V-Brake vs Disc Brake debate is that with disc brakes the caliper is leveraged so that it applies many times more ft.lbs of pressure than what you can apply to V-Brake pads against the wheel rim with the leverage of the V-Brake arm and hand lever.

Another thing that makes the argument for the disc brakes offering better braking is comparing the Drum brakes to Disc, drum brakes have a lot more surface area and two or three times more friction material to apply to that surface area and yet the smaller Disc Rotor and much less area of the Disc pads provide much better braking wet or dry and the Disc brakes work much better when they are over heated, the larger drum brakes fade quick if severely overheated.

So in defense of Dave which he actually doesn't need from me or anyone else by the way......

Apples to Apples would be a wheel rim with same friction capabilities as a Disc rotor, V- Brake pads made from same high grade friction material and the ability of the V-brakes to apply the same Ft.lbs of energy to the bikes wheel, then yes the V-Brakes would out perform the Disc, but that ain't the case and a Disc brake is better than a scrubber type brake on a bicycle.

On my bike with V-Brakes I can lock them up so they give me all I need but the disc is the best option when available because they last longer

Peace and may your brakes last long and stop you on a dime....LOL!

Map

Last edited by mapbike; 01-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Staff

I wasn't here FD, Honest. dunno

=============

LOL Map. That vid/gif is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 01-14-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
i wasn't here fd, honest. Dunno

=============

lol map. That vid/gif is great!
ok.
Fd............
Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Oh my... would somebody give me a "BRAKE" here.....lol!

I have never ran disc brakes on a bicycle yet, but I cant say that I use Cool Stop pads which I have found to stop me very good even at high speeds.

When I say very good I mean that based on what I think is slowing me down quick enough to hopefully avoid something if I needed to.

The Cool Stop pads/shoes do last longer than others I have had for sure but i have no doubt that they wont even come close to lasting as long as disc brake pads and wont stop a bike as good as disc brakes either.

I'd like to add something to this conversation though, one thing that hasn't been taken into consideration in this conversation with this V-Brake vs Disc Brake debate is that with disc brakes the caliper is leveraged so that it applies many times more ft.lbs of pressure than what you can apply to V-Brake pads against the wheel rim with the leverage of the V-Brake arm and hand lever.

Another thing that makes the argument for the disc brakes offering better braking is comparing the Drum brakes to Disc, drum brakes have a lot more surface area and two or three times more friction material to apply to that surface area and yet the smaller Disc Rotor and much less area of the Disc pads provide much better braking wet or dry and the Disc brakes work much better when they are over heated, the larger drum brakes fade quick if severely overheated.

So in defense of Dave which he actually doesn't need from me or anyone else by the way......

Apples to Apples would be a wheel rim with same friction capabilities as a Disc rotor, V- Brake pads made from same high grade friction material and the ability of the V-brakes to apply the same Ft.lbs of energy to the bikes wheel, then yes the V-Brakes would out perform the Disc, but that ain't the case and a Disc brake is better than a scrubber type brake on a bicycle.

On my bike with V-Brakes I can lock them up so they give me all I need but the disc is the best option when available because they last longer

Peace and may your brakes last long and stop you on a dime....LOL!

Map
YEP, AGREE. My V's are good enough for me, Still rather have disc.
fatdaddy.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Electric Enthusiast

oh, Posts are gone. Thanks for the heads up on the cool stop pads, Ill have to look into those. the ones Ive picked up from walmart do the job, but not for long.

"The Pig, It haunts me!"

Last edited by Semaj; 01-14-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 PM

Semaj

There may be some better pads thanneven cool stop out there but Ive had good wear out of mine, they make many types.

When I at home tomorrow Ill post a link or two here to some that I think are good ones.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 PM

"Kool Stop" Salmon color pads are the best bar none.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner