Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Gorewound - I found this idea for supporting the OCC seat. It was on Ratrodbikes.com
Old 12-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Thank you Wheelbender!
picture saved for later.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Only a few more days until 2015, when I have to get serious about preparing to get my bike legally registered. So I have been riding here and there and all about this side of town. I love my bike, the way she purrs when I hit just the right cruising speed. And the way people look at it as if to say "WTF is that?" Once in a while, somebody even screams out "That is AWESOME!" Those moments are good.
BTW: I have to put some turn signals on this bike soon, per the new law. Anybody got a brand they like? Suggestions on what's easy to use and sufficiently bright?

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 12-27-2014, 11:49 PM

been thinking about a full lighting package for mine as well and I think LED is the way to go with a good bright cree led for the headlight and a strobing tail light but still need to look for some nice led signals to complete the package.

Just search "bicycle led headlight" on ebay and lots of results will pop up, the cree type leds are what you want for up front because of their superior brightness and it's amazing how far they can send a lot of light.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Search for motor cycle lights also they have a lot of led. Our local FleetFarm store has some really small round lights that you could use for turn signals,kind of look like they might work like on the corners of back rack. Kind of like the ones that fit in the corner of older pickup box bed tubes................Curt
Old 12-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreWound View Post
did the throttle and the wiring, got tension on the chain.
my exhaust needs some bashing to get into place, gonna do that later.

thinking of starting a thread for the build, maybe tomorrow.

P.S. anyone else have the throttle not return all the way on its own? will that work its way out over time? should i just toss out the whole twist grip/ carb and replace with a better set (already considering a dellorto clone, unsure where a better twist grip assembly might come from though)
The most common problem here is the cable. all it takes is one busted strand in the cable to gum up the works, or a little corrosion. take off the cable and make real sure it's sliding smoothly. i always use a little lube of some kind. sometimes just 30wt oil. making sure the entire cable is lubed. it will also cut down on the corrosion factor. BUT, I always make my own throttle cables so I lube them before soldering on the slide end. you can still work some oil down it though. I also sometimes use a thinner cable in the larger cable housing, (less chance to "hang up") And of course make sure the cable is long enough to let the cable reach to the bottom of the slide stroke. THEN the obvious, check the idle screw, Turn it OUT to let down the slide.
fatdaddy.

Last edited by fatdaddy; 12-28-2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Idle screw
Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 AM

In Canada it is got to be cold, then I would suggest beside bigger return spring if it is like my Briggs Bike, use stuff that does not get thick as it get colder. Graphite Powder, not liquid.

I put a small amount in a cloth and pull the cable out of the cover through the cloth while cusping the cloth with powder around the cable. It is a messy job and don't breath the dust. Maybe wear gloves.

I use big wide arc bends for cables. Some say it has more surface area and therefore more friction, but there is a happy median and too tight an arc bend and cables don't move good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillm...3185/100137063

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 12-30-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEASURE TWICE View Post
In Canada it is got to be cold, then I would suggest beside bigger return spring if it is like my Briggs Bike, use stuff that does not get thick as it get colder. Graphite Powder, not liquid.

I put a small amount in a cloth and pull the cable out of the cover through the cloth while cusping the cloth with powder around the cable. It is a messy job and don't breath the dust. Maybe wear gloves.

I use big wide arc bends for cables. Some say it has more surface area and therefore more friction, but there is a happy median and too tight an arc bend and cables don't move good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillm...3185/100137063
That's a real good idea for everyone. Petroleum oils attract like a magnet every particle it can constantly. Soon there's a gummy coating that people just keep adding more oil to making the problem worse. Very next time I'm in Home Depot...
Old 12-30-2014, 03:54 AM

Uni filter on Rutoung carburetor is great, and the Park Tools beam torque wrench is my new best friend.

I planned on getting my voodoo exhaust installed, but I had a ridiculous headache and didn't want to do the 40 miles round trip like that.

Maybe tomorrow morning, if it's not raining
Old 12-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Electric Enthusiast

I removed the toggle switch that was precariously taped to the side of my tail light and hooked up a button that is supposed to connect somewhere along a bare section of the brake cable and gets pushed when the cable gets pulled closer to something that it can brace a little plastic arm on. I hoodwinked it from a cheapo bicycle break lights blinker system I got off of ebay for 7 dollars and voila my temporary break lights are a success! Sadly I have no tail lights so its really not all that great. still a work in progress.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner