Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Too busy to ride or mess with the bike today so I just fired it up, reved the **** out of it and filled the shop up with 2 stroke smoke

One thing cool about keeping the bike here at the shop instead of home is that it gets a LOT of attention and lots of customers drool all over it asking me if I can build them one and how much it would cost so I may be building a few to sell sometime in the near future... These will definitely all be cruiser frames unless they want to pay extra for the time and effort it takes to squeeze one of these kits into a small mountainbike frame...
Old 12-19-2014, 11:32 AM

I cleared some space, put down a tarp, stood up my bike, layed out my parts...
and took this picture before going to bed.

Also I did this all last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1238.JPG (314.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreWound View Post
I cleared some space, put down a tarp, stood up my bike, layed out my parts...
and took this picture before going to bed.

Also I did this all last night.
Be carefull with that seat. those were built for kids and an adult bouncing around on it at 30mph WILL snap it off where the post is welded tothe bottom. I'v built at least 10 on this frame, Other than that, they ride pretty stiff. TOO stiff for this old man anyway.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
Be carefull with that seat. those were built for kids and an adult bouncing around on it at 30mph WILL snap it off where the post is welded tothe bottom. I'v built at least 10 on this frame, Other than that, they ride pretty stiff. TOO stiff for this old man anyway.
thanks for the tip!
I've been rolling ideas about the seat in my head since I got the bike (been riding it most of the fall sans motor)

as of now plan A is get a coil spring that fits around the seat post and attach it to the frame, then the seat itself, El-Cheapo sprung seat.

When that doesn't work plan B is a sprung post, sprung sissy bar, and a banana seat.

Either way, 30MPH is a tad optimistic, if I am lucky it will do fifteen!
if it does manage speeds like that my primary concern immediately becomes the Vee-Brakes, I already almost ran into traffic in the rain once...
Old 12-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Electric Enthusiast

I've been cobbling together a light system Taken mostly from cannibalized flashlights to keep me safe at night, so far very basic and sadly all my lights have their own switches still
The other night I went to toggle the switch I've got poking out of the Tail light and discovered one of the solder connections had broken. Oh well I though Ill fix it tomorrow. Next day rolls around and Its just not there anymore :O
Guess I gave it too good a bounce on the way back.
Now half an hour before I need to leave for work I'm finally getting around to soldering a Toggle switch Bamboozled off of some other electronic board.

I need to give myself a kick in the rear and actually wire all this stuff up to the handlebar switch I picked up for that very reason But I'm still missing a bunch of parts for what I want to wire up and I want to knock it out in one go.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:27 AM

You could rig up something to support the rear of the seat. I used a pocket rocket shock.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Staff

Oh that is awesome, WB! Well done, Mon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 PM

I put my sprocket adapter on the bike today, took a pic but I'm gonna save it for when I start a thread.

Semaj, the lens and pod you are using look really nice, should be super visible once it's set up. also your work bench has me as greener than WheelBenders bike with envy!

Wheelbender6, the spring on that shock is basically what i am looking for, but slipped over the seat post, attaching it at both ends will be the hard part. once the bike is moving again I plan on rolling around some junkyards for something to use (I don't wanna buy a new shock just to rip it apart) my hope is that the El-Cheapo method will work just well enough to offset it's near zero cost.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Electric Enthusiast

Thank you GoreWound! Thats the Map of the Badab sector ive got under glass, Kepps my desk looking nice.

Got to the store today and discovered my tail light needed not to be Toggled to the off position as it was already not on.
Tuns out the open battery pack loosely taped into the motorcycle tail light shell was not going to cover tail lighting as the batteries seem prone to bouncing out whenever I ride over the railroad tracks or bumpy patches
So I combined my other hobby with this one and secured the batteries with an odd sharp screw and some plasticard recycled from a shell gift card

Still only a patch to what I hope is a much more sophisticated system in the near future

Last edited by Semaj; 12-22-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: because I cant seem to read my post without realizing I left out a chunk of information I meant to put in.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
You could rig up something to support the rear of the seat. I used a pocket rocket shock.
That's a cool idea... I used a go kart front shock for my front suspension since it was originally one of those polymer type shocks and I wanted something that wouldn't melt with age, and a true oil dampped shock.
For your seat idea, that would be a very viable alternative for bikes without rear suspension both for ride comfort and to take most the shock load off the frame.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner