Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Staff

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Man, Chained. Dunno what to say. That sux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 11-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Man that blows
Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chained View Post
I have had my bike going for a few weeks now, and it has come to an end.

I have to get rid of it due to the new FL laws. I started saving and planning for this for a few months with the understanding that it was still considered a bicycle in the eyes of the law. I didnt find out the law changed until after my bike was finished.

Two times today I had the police tell me to not run the engine. One cop even told me he could take me to jail even if the engine wasnt running. I know thats BS but what can you do.

I cant afford an electric bike, they are so damn expensive and it was a pain trying to save up for the gas build.

What a crappy day.
just curious about what the Florida laws now says about a motor assisted bicycle.

map
Old 11-23-2014, 09:03 PM

if only it were a democracy where one could vote that law down

Last edited by crassius; 11-24-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
just curious about what the Florida laws now says about a motor assisted bicycle.

map
From what I gather, you need to have it inspected at the DMV, get issued a reistration and a tag. It must have operating turn signals, headlight, and brake light.

You also need a DL. My DL is suspended for a few unpaid tickets, and the fines are too much too get taken care of for me right now. The vops told me I could be arrested for driving on a suspended license.

Seriously, this is just wrong. As soon as something gains a bit of popularity, big gubment comes in and finds all the ways to suck as much revenue from it as they can.

I just got the bike setup real nice, and now I have to try and sell it and hope I get enough for a used electric bike.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
if only it were a democracy where one could vote that law dawn
That's the problem: the huge majority of people neither know nor care about motorized bicycles. In a democracy, it is easy for politicians and "news" outlets (no doubt in the pockets of big insurance companies, etc.) to spin a story to that majority that we are somehow cheating them by having unlicensed, uninsured, unregistered, uninspected, non-EPA-approved vehicles.

We are the illegal aliens. We are the Gypsies.

Last edited by WECSOG; 11-23-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
That's the problem: the huge majority of people neither know nor care about motorized bicycles. In a democracy, it is easy for politicians and "news" outlets (no doubt in the pockets of big insurance companies, etc.) to spin a story to that majority that we are somehow cheating them by having unlicensed, uninsured, unregistered, uninspected, non-EPA-approved vehicles.

We are the illegal aliens. We are the Gypsies.
Yup... as well as all the laws they slip in without the public even noticing, but yeah, all it takes in one good crash caught on film and the media as well as the politicians will run with it. I know it's a constant battle just to own a sportbike because some squid wearing shorts, flip flops, tank top and no helmet wrecked and got killed going 160 mph down a busy road so they want to outlaw all of those type bikes or limit their top speeds or limit the horsepower.
Same thing happened with skateboards in the late 80's where they've been pretty much outlawed everywhere except for your own property, then when pocketbikes bewcame popular, they were quickly outlawwed as well... after some irresponsible parents let their 6 year old kid ride on the streets unsupervised so it ruins it for everyone. Now it's the motorized bikes under attack by the politicians and media is next... if not already under attack by the media in other places.

Basically, if it's fun and it becomes popular, let's outlaw it...
Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Now that my rant is over... I didn't make it to the shop today where my bike is so nothing got done today... I got a good idea on how to remedy the ill effects of having a centrifugal clutch on the China Girl engines so I'll continue with my game plan tomorrow... After I make my morning taco run on the bike... And that's why I keep the bike at the shop instead of at home... it's great for running for tacos in the morning... and for a quick trip to the store for a fresh can of Copenhagen when I run out mid day since there's a Valero store not too far from the shop so I can see the shop the whole time I'm out and don't need to close up just for a can of dip.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 PM

I didn't do anything to mine today, either. I'll probably at least take it for a spin tomorrow, and see how the new speedo works.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:04 AM

Just rode mine to work as usual, new tires sitting on the floor waiting for my day off so I can put them on

Bike sat out in light rain again, started right up. The gasket sealer must be working to keep the rain out and away from the magneto

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner