Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Thanks Map...I like it!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothy View Post
...new back wheel (awesome coaster brake) with sprocket adaptor.
Looking fun Toothy, I see you got that fork steer tube figured out, glad that worked out for you! What did you end up doing with the steer tube and stem? I have a similar frame with a 1" steerer I might consider that fork for if you've got it figured out.

I just want to point out something unrelated I see there that can be a bit dangerous in case you don't know about it: Having a spring loaded chain tensioner on a coaster brake (pedal side) chain can cause all the slack in the chain to go to the top when you kick back to brake. That leaves you with a bunch of extra chain with nothing to take it up and it looks like you've got quite a bit of slack there. The forces in play on the chain are pretty big and depending on how it's all set up, you can throw the chain, bind it up, or even rip off the tensioner which can cause you other problems. Also makes for a delayed action when you do go to brake. Tensioners are totally safe on a freewheel or cassette hub, not so much on coaster brakes. Ideal situation is to get the pedal side chain with very little play in it, and take up the slack on the bottom of the drive side if you need to run a tensioner. I hope that helps you.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightscape View Post
Looking fun Toothy, I see you got that fork steer tube figured out, glad that worked out for you! What did you end up doing with the steer tube and stem? I have a similar frame with a 1" steerer I might consider that fork for if you've got it figured out.

I just want to point out something unrelated I see there that can be a bit dangerous in case you don't know about it: Having a spring loaded chain tensioner on a coaster brake (pedal side) chain can cause all the slack in the chain to go to the top when you kick back to brake. That leaves you with a bunch of extra chain with nothing to take it up and it looks like you've got quite a bit of slack there. The forces in play on the chain are pretty big and depending on how it's all set up, you can throw the chain, bind it up, or even rip off the tensioner which can cause you other problems. Also makes for a delayed action when you do go to brake. Tensioners are totally safe on a freewheel or cassette hub, not so much on coaster brakes. Ideal situation is to get the pedal side chain with very little play in it, and take up the slack on the bottom of the drive side if you need to run a tensioner. I hope that helps you.
Thanks,
I ordered a 1” 160 mm threaded steerer tube and it was too short. I then ordered a 200 mm tube that was a little long and the threads were too far up to fit / sandwich the upper part of the stem assembly. I took it to my local bike shop and they cut some more 40 mm threads for me and it went together. I couldn’t find one in exactly the right length.
I got an additional shim because I bought the extra steerer tube so it is shimmed on both ends. I neglected to cut off the extra length as you can probably see in the pics but the ergonomics suite me fine as it is.
It rides really nicely now…butter. Oh and it stops better than ever with the new brake combo.

Last edited by Toothy; 08-04-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Made a new air filter element from a piece of 1/2'' thick foam I had, and put it inside stock NT filter housing that I drilled seven 1/4'' holes into it's cover. Put motor oil on this new filter, squeezed the excess oil out, and it was good to go.
Schwinn 1970 Racer
Schwinn 1971 Varsity
Schwinn 1987 Sprint
Schwinn 2010 Drifter
Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I looked at it.
Need money for tires; I won't use the junk that came stock on my Schwinn Cruiser.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothy View Post
Put a disk on the front, new back wheel (awesome coaster brake) with sprocket adaptor. Sweet!!!

Sweet Ride Fo Sho... Nice job on this build
Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 PM

Still too busy at the shop to do anything more than look at mine.. I did get one of my motorcycles back together after doing an engine change on my Buell Blast... I'm hoping to ride it tomorrow if the battery is still good in it... This one will save me a lot on gas since it's powered by half a Harley Sportster engine, it can still do about 100 mph and handles like a dream so it's not too bad for a little 500cc single cylinder bike.
I'll be taking the motorized bicycle to the shop soon so I can work it when I have free time... Got a lot of welding to beef up the frame, then it'll need to be taken all the way apart for paint. I'm happy with how it looks and rides now but it still needs just a few extra mods before I'll trust it to go over 35mph
Old 08-14-2014, 03:44 AM

Trial fitted the new seat today.
Managed to chip the paint duh.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Milled my head to 135 psi. Was 130 psi new.
Schwinn 1970 Racer
Schwinn 1971 Varsity
Schwinn 1987 Sprint
Schwinn 2010 Drifter
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwinnStingray View Post
Trial fitted the new seat today.
Managed to chip the paint duh.
OUCH I feel your pain bro..after spending ""top dollar for the paint products for a paint job on my 93 Mustang GT. The one and "ONLY TIME" I left it out over night someone stole my hook and every after market part I had under the hood stolen they scratched the shizzle out of the fenders I was sooo mad Bro I wrapped a fiberglass shovel around a light pole ..literally wrapped it around it when I took out my frustrations on the shovel and pole !

[IMG][/IMG]

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner