Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I went for a ride a few weeks ago and my phone went flying off my handlebars at 36mph, only to be run over by 2 escalades. I was really happy, about to push 37, then really sad.
Surprisingly, it still works and is now the dedicated speedo for the bike, with a tether for backup.
Last night, I got to cut and strip a spark plug wire with my teeth on the side of the road. My cdi slipped down, and damaged the wire where it would not screw back on.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:53 AM

Wow, that's an impressive kaleidophone.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 07-26-2014, 02:39 AM

Last night I disassembled mine completely. The motor had already been pulled, and yesterday the frame broke. Now all the useable parts are in a corner of the basement, and the frame is in a pile of parts to go to the scrapyard. But soon, I will have a new bike, a 1951 roadmaster with custom wheels and a 79cc preddy.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM

I had a thought about my 6-1/2 HP Monarch with the 3 speed Sturmey Archer tranny as a jackshaft. It went harder than it stopped (around 55) so I put a light Cerriani fork and narrow motorcycle 18" wheel with a big disk on it. I mounted a manual go-kart caliper on it and I think I could do a stoppy with it, but the rear coaster converted to rim caliper sucks. I just realized I can do the same to mount a caliper disc on it as I did to mount the drive sprocket. It is a split magnesium drum clamping the coaster brake housing with a hole for the oiler to keep it from slipping. I can also stick a setscrew in the oil hole if necessary. Anyhow the sprocket end has a large diameter into which are screwed 3 spacers through the spokes. If I make a new drum with a large flange on both sides I can mount a disk the same way. The calipers are reasonably priced on Ebay.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I'll make this the past week...
7-22-14 Widened bars.

7-25-14 Made leather grips.

7-30-14 Put Loctite on cylinder studs and cut the tops off my acorn head nuts, sanded head surface.

7-30-14 Got 1/2 link for bike chain, still a little droopy...hard to get 2 chains to jive.

Schwinn 1970 Racer
Schwinn 1971 Varsity
Schwinn 1987 Sprint
Schwinn 2010 Drifter
Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 AM

I'll also add the last week or so but with one pic
Riding down the road with new kit fitted to Bella ,motor goes BANG at 30 kph and completely locks up ,all run in processes correctly applied ,open the pot and there's a huge crack in the piston ( yep I was dumbfounded as to why) .

Took it to the dealer who apologises profusely ,I was given a reject kit instead of a new one ,honest mistake ( well I'd like to think so) replaces with new motor immediately ,turns out his apprentice had been playing with boring and increasing compression ,had repacked the motor into carton ( motor hadn't been run so appeared new) I had been given that kit mistakenly apparently and owner was waiting for the call

Fitted the new NEW MOTOR and improved via advice from forum members such as removing rubber on engine mounts ,soldering wiring and shrink wrapping ,also used 9mm shrink to tidy up throttle and kill switch cables ,I must say she now looks very tidy ,greased all areas and waterproofed mag cover ,replaced factory jet with smaller one and finally took her for a run .

This motor has a good character but needs warming up before running or she is a pig ,alot more torke than my other motors for some reason but she tows my kids to school daily so it's a good thing .

A lot of fussing around but finally stepped closer to what I want in my retro cruiser
Celebrated birthday on 13th with a cookout and brews with friends
Purchased a leather retro m bike jacket and aviator goggles to keep with the retro look and get comments daily on how good she looks

Took the wife to the hospital 3 times with bracston hicks contractions ( false contractions she is due in 3 weeks

WAITING EAGERLY TO SOON SEE MY THIRD BUB ,DADDYS LITTLE PRINCESS WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

Oh and had internet cut off for two weeks due to line maintenance sigh

That was part of my week

All is returning to normality .........for now

Regards Hen

Oh I've included a pic of my goggles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (226.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Henshooter; 08-01-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
I've looked on their recently updated website. There's enough in there to specify against motored bikes like ours, and a bit stating how if the motor is the main propulsion then it's not allowed, so it's broad for them also, but not us.
I'd like to think there's some in-between ground to allow these awesome alternates to cars, but it's a battle I can't do right now. I must have a licence for work so can't risk that.
I agree with the pussified bit too.
There is a somewhat loophole you can use Cruise ,see I'm a melbornian and ride past police on a daily basis ,see although our 80cc motors are considered against the law it's only a suggested basis
Basically we can own them and ride them without issue as long a we don't exceed the limit of 25 kph ( which is ridiculous as I can easily reach 40 on my un motorised fixie) and if we have pedals then all should be good .

I have done some research on this and the motors are designed to look like a 39 cc motor ( completely legal in Au) the only way for them to determine the size is to pull the head and measure the cylinder so if you get pulled up a quick flick of the choke to half and there's no way in heck they will do over 25 ,unless you get a very knowledgable officer they will see the speed and let you go ,our cops over here are to busy to bother with little issues like motorised bikes .
What erks me is I use 2 litres a week for my running around ,don't own a car and as such rely on my bike to get me places ,compare two litres of fuel consumption to 40 odd in a vehicle and the emissions and motorised bikes are better and far outweigh the GREEN movements carbon emissions limits
Plus I see quite a few stealths in my neighbourhood ,no way in **** you will convince me they produce less than 200 watts constant at the rear ,sigh

When will the nanny polys realise the benefits and negate the negatives .
Never WE ARE NOW A NANNY COUNTRY !!!
Best of luck and my deepest condolences for the loss of your power assisted Beast

Regards Hen
Old 08-01-2014, 05:03 PM

Getting my rear tire trued, New tube and thinner tire, as well as some new spokes. Was having some bad wobbles when riding, took to the bike shop only to find that a few spokes are broken!! Really glad my bike didn't slam through the wheel and left me in a pile on the road.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Put a disk on the front, new back wheel (awesome coaster brake) with sprocket adaptor. Sweet!!!

Last edited by Toothy; 08-01-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Looks great Toothy

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner