Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 AM

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Been using a tire generator to charge my battery via a scooter rectifier, but I just fried my 3rd one. I thought a few times about buying the 12v generator coil from wonderful creations on ebay, but it's $45 and I can't afford it. Also it's designed for a 2 stroke and I have a 4 stroke, so I decided to do some digging and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GX160-...6d02f8&vxp=mtr it's for a Honda gx, but I'm sure there is a way to make it fit my 98cc flathead. It's 3 amps, so it should give plenty of power for my electrical system, my headlight draws less than half an amp, my tail light about the same, my brake light draws 2.25 amps, so even if all 3 ran at the same time, it's still 3 amps or less. My battery is a 1.2ah, so it should charge fine. Heck, with a genny coil I probably don't even really need a battery. But I'm gonna keep it anyway.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:55 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

only issue I see is that it may be to big in length, those coils are for working inside of a bigger flywheel than those smaller engine, but hopefully Im wrong about that and it will work fine for you if your flywheel has the magnets inside for it.

map
Old 07-13-2014, 02:31 AM

Last thing I did on mine was 2 days ago, but I took it out for a ride after getting the new front end instaled, got down the street and found out the front tire was still hitting the expansion chamber so I brought it back home, took the pipe off and completely re routed it, lots of welding and cutting but I got it to fit but this time I made sure the tire would clear by at least an inch with the suspension fully compressed, got it welded up about 90% of the way before running out of time, but will have it finished soon.

Today I got the keys to my new shop I'm opening up monday so I spent all day moving my toolboxes and tools from my garage to the shop. I'll be taking that bike over there too so I can work it after hours or on the weekends etc since I took all my tools over to the shop and will be buying new toools to keep at home after I make some money.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 AM

That good news Dave, I wish you the best with it.
I also cut up my expansion chamber that I spent quite some time making fit the Mongoose. I decided it should go on the new dual suspension bike and that the Mongoose should get the plated KTM 'fatty', I think I have worked them both out, but getting a little frustrated with getting a nice looking weld with the stick at times. I will likely just tack them till I can get them to my mates MIG (with gas).
Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 AM

Thanks man... Gonna need that luck starting out...

Yeah, my expansion chamber looks all funky now with all these pie slices cut out and new metal welded in and all, I even had to add about 5" more to the belly section so it would route the way I wanted it to go but that should also bring the powerband down to a lower rpm. It's nice and strong on the low end already and take offs from a dead stop are very easy and pleasant, but then it starts to make power really fast once it gets going, I'm actually kinda hoping it don't take too much from the top and put all the power too far down the rpm range, but I do plan on getting a few more used KTM pipes to weld and cut on so once I get this one routed right and making power where I want it to I can just cut up one pipe and put the bends where they're needed without all the extra welds all over the place so it'll look nice too... lol
The bike does look pretty radical with the noleen front end installed and the expansion chamber but it'll look much better with only a few welds instead of several at each bend.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
only issue I see is that it may be to big in length, those coils are for working inside of a bigger flywheel than those smaller engine, but hopefully Im wrong about that and it will work fine for you if your flywheel has the magnets inside for it.

map
I'm fairly certain that as long as the leaves of both coils are touching/conductive surface between them, they'll both pick up off the same magnet.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM

A while ago the cops said I can't ride it anymore or fines etc apply. Over the past few days I've had the depressing task of decommissioning my beloved bike.
Pulled it down to the frame. Now I'll go over it ready to re spray some bits so I can sell it as a nice looking push bike.
Amazing how long it took to put together the way I did , then how long it didn't take to pull down.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
A while ago the cops said I can't ride it anymore or fines etc apply. Over the past few days I've had the depressing task of decommissioning my beloved bike.
Pulled it down to the frame. Now I'll go over it ready to re spray some bits so I can sell it as a nice looking push bike.
Amazing how long it took to put together the way I did , then how long it didn't take to pull down.

Damn, Cruise, Aus gets more pussyfied every day. About all you could do is run for public office and try to change laws from there. Have you research the laws completely? Sometimes there's a loophole or clause that the cops ignore in their zeal. Happened here...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM

I've looked on their recently updated website. There's enough in there to specify against motored bikes like ours, and a bit stating how if the motor is the main propulsion then it's not allowed, so it's broad for them also, but not us.
I'd like to think there's some in-between ground to allow these awesome alternates to cars, but it's a battle I can't do right now. I must have a licence for work so can't risk that.
I agree with the pussified bit too.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 AM

Just went over my old 50cc motor on my original bike. Have to say after about 47,000km it's still in great order and I only had to change a head gasket, some clutch pads and a clutch cable. After going the stainless clutch cable it never failed. A really good build I'll say by Tony at Ricksolid Engines in Australia. Not sure if he reads this but it should be known by those who ride.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner