Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Well, today I had to replace my fuel filter.

It was the worst start to a Monday - alarm didn't go off, almost late for work, and halfway there my engine floods out. Tried for several minutes to get her to start back up (HS 142), but she wasn't having any of it. So, I got to pedal the rest of the way to work. Bollocks.

Well, on my lunch break, I thought I'd be all clever and go to a local auto parts store and get some tubing to bypass the (what I assumed was) faulty fuel filter. That didn't work. She peed fuel all over the pavement whenever I opened the valve from the tank, and nothing I could do would stop it. Ugh. Now it was starting to really bother me. WTF had happened...?

So, I manage to pedal her back home and get to work. Completely took the carb apart and blasted it with 100psi of compressed air... and that did the trick! Whatever it was, it was lodged deep somewhere in the intake valve and now she's back to her lovely purring self. The worst part is, I didn't even really need to replace the fuel filter... I bought another one on eBay that looked cooler and was a better shape.

But, now all is working again. Can't wait to ride tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Won't be working my bike today... gotta take the class to get my state vehicle inspection cert so wish me luck....
Old 07-01-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
So far I haven't found any mechanical speedometers that will last on my bikes, I've destroyed several and some were vintage and really nice speedometers and that just made me sick to know I ruind them....

They just aren't design d for the vibes and the higher speeds and fall apart in a very short amount of time.

Map
The model that I purchased seems to be holding up well Map ,had a small issue with cable lube but a squirt of wd40 resolved that

Can't post a link but as soon as I can I'll pm you the link
Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Today I had to blow out my motor to rid it of a serious flood due to trying to start when the coil was fried ,cleaned out the muffler with degreaser and fitted a new coil ,she fired up without any issues ,though I've noticed a slight decrease in high end power ,I suspect it had something to do with the new coil so swapped out the plug for an Ngk and she's running well ,getting 65 kph out of an un modded engine ,no exp chamber just a Bolton 32t sprocket ,must have got a decent motor just the extras like the exhaust coil and kill switch were dodgy but after a friendly swap out from my local dealer Tdr moto everything seems fine for now
Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM

Dave you don't need luck, from the posts you have put on the forum all you need to do is rely on knowledge. Luck runs out!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
Dave you don't need luck, from the posts you have put on the forum all you need to do is rely on knowledge. Luck runs out!
I was actually a bit nervous about the testing because I've been out of the automotive industry for about 18 years... then I was the only one in the class who aced the test
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 AM

Thumbs up Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
I was actually a bit nervous about the testing because I've been out of the automotive industry for about 18 years... then I was the only one in the class who aced the test
Can we get a big ole Texas YEE HAW....!

Great news bro. went in there and tore it up...

Congratulations..!

Map
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 AM

Thanks... My son went with me and he scored 90% on his test too, but he's never worked on cars before other than helping me change his head gasket about a year ago, I told him all he needed to do was go over the study guide and pay attention in the class and he should pass but he scored high too... and out of about 30 of us who tested 6 people failed and most the others just barely passed.

Now that that's over with, he's going to be my vehicle inspector until he starts college this fall, and if all goes as planned I should be open for business by the 14th this month.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Congratulations Dave!
Grace under pressure... If you can do that with 18 years of rust in the memory banks just think of how well the business will do!

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Today I removed the Delorta SHA clone carb. and re-installed the NTS. I grinded off some of the inside of the drive gear cover so that the 415 chain will stop tearing it up. I discovered that my sprockets are out of line.In other words, I just tinkered with it, the way I always do and I couldn't have a better hobby except for maybe panning for gold.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner