Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Coupla small things today. First, I made an adjustment to my battery box. I don't have a switch for my tail light, so it's set up as a quick disconnect with a nut and bolt through the lid of the battery box touching the positive terminal of the battery, and a wire with an alligator clip hooked to the bolt on top of the lid. But I sometimes use the alligator clip for other stuff, hence the quick disconnect. Anywho, the post wasn't touching down on the terminal, so I took the lid off and added a washer to the underside. Now it's working perfect. Prior to making that adjustment, my brother was following me on his motorcycle and he said my brake light isn't very bright, so I decided to do something about it. I was running a 12v 5w led bulb, but I went to walmart and got a 12v 27w incandescent. I know that's pretty high wattage, but since it's only on when I brake (tail light is separate), shouldn't be that big a deal as I do have a friction generator and scooter rectifier to charge the battery.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Arguably the worst possible start to the day. Pulled over by a cop who has seen me riding in the bike lane as I do, at about 35km/h. He reckons I was going too fast. He asks lots about my engine capacity (which I quote) and he still feels I'm going too fast and that it has to be more powerful than allowed. He's probably right but I've never put it over a dyno! A conversation follows about the legislation which I believe we are both a bit rusty on.
He then moves on to get all my details, address, licence etc and then takes a few photos of the bike.
Next comes the warning about how he is supposed to confiscate the bike and take it away for whatever testing might be done on it to prove it's illegal. Also the warning that if I am seen on it again, it will be a $1000 + fine and then of course confiscation of the bike.
So not only am I now in a position where I have no primary mode of transport, I am pretty much going to be deprived of this bloody awesome hobby that I've come to love.
At this stage I'm going over the options, but after a quick re-check of our new local rules, it seems they have a lot of room to move if they want to make life very difficult for me.
Sorry if it's a bit of a bummer to read, but I just wanted to share it with fellow lovers of the bikes.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:56 AM

Wow... that's not cool at all...
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM

dang sorry to hear that Cruise, seems we just get more and more of these stupid freedom robbing communist regulations everywhere, I guess the idiots of this world wont stop until they control every single aspect of the peoples lives, hearing this kinda mess just makes my blood boil, your bike isnt hurting anyone and isnt a threat to one freaking person anywhere but yet they can ticket you and rob you of not only your personal freedom but also $1000+ man I'm sorry to hear about this... freaking stupid and unfortunately for the rest of us its probably coming to a city near us also......

sorry for the mini rant...

map
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Not knowing the "RULES" your local police have established, I am wondering the following. I think after all that and all the work put into these creations, I would put lights, turn signals ,insure it and put a plate on and ride it like a motorcycle. What then ticket you for having a under powered bike? I would just to spite. What a lot of people do not know is this. On the sides of the cruiser , police, is "protect and serve." The constitution does not provide for a low agency to protect the people. That is the persons job. So when a cop says we are protecting you that is trash. I could go on and on but believe it or not I really respect the law and officers, they would for the most part take a bullet for you but a lot of them are going overboard. Not my daddy or momma. Tag that bike and ride it. gphil
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Oh the whole thing's just a big pity. The bike was really settling nicely, mileage just kept getting better etc.
I have nothing against cops. We'd be screwed without them. I just think the laws could be more accommodating in regard to these brilliant alternate forms of cheap transport.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:34 AM

Does Australia provide you a way to register and insure your bike?
What are the moped regulations?

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Heres one source I checked.
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...sisted-bicycle
For those who can't be asked reading it, Basically they won't allow you to register one here.
Hey guys, I know I started it, but let's move on. Someone please tell a cool story about tweaking a carby or something!
Any further on this should go in the right sub-forum found via the front page. Cheers.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:35 PM

couldn't get to the "https" page, but was able to get there as "http" for some reason??!!??

looks to be a nasty & over-reaching set of regs specifically aimed at prohibiting anything that is cheap enough for poor folks (or possibly anything that isn't produced by a major corp)
Old 06-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theon View Post
I've found that these carbs will work without pulse line relying just on head pressure from the tank, but much better to have it though.
By putting a good dob of grease to catch swath on the inside of the transfer ramp the pulse pick up could be drilled with out splitting the cases.
But pulse pick up can be taken from inlet manifold also but would not be as strong.
Also may need a return fuel line from carb to tank?
These type carbs are generally probably better suited to WOT style riding, I have only yet played with the $15 barrel carb, and like it.
I think i found my problem and this will help everybody i got my kit from jnmotors and the adapter space is wrong!!! the carb is vapor locking as the engine heats up the carb evaportes the fuel in the bubble and will not pump after the engine sits and cools the fuel returns. The engine does runs and performs great untill the carb is hot to touch. may have cooked the diaphragm DONT install these adapters on your motor. i might have to get a custom one made but im gona pull and old poly-carbonate one i have on a old goped and modify with a dremel using both the aluminum and the plastic i will post pictures. also fuel is being sucked into the the transfers from my pulse channel thats whats making my think the diaphragm is bad im not shure yet...

Last edited by survive1990; 06-30-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: more details

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner