Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Finally got some time to actually ride on mine some... I've been so busy the last several weeks getting my new business set up that all I have been able to do most days is just walk pass my bike and look at it or move it out of the way when I need access to my tool boxes.
the good news, and I mean really good news is the auto shop I was going to open up back in April, that deal fell thru the day before I had to go and sign the paperwork to get into the building, then out of the blue about 2 weeks ago I get a call from the guy and he's asking me if I'm still interested in the shop. He didn't have to ask me twice and I'll be setting up shop in the next 2 weeks so I should be up and running the first week of July.
After that deal fell thru is when I bought the CNC router and spent about a week setting everything up and learning how to use it, and spent some serious bucks on some embroidery software for my wife's embroidery machine so we also got a DBA for that business and we're going to run it part time since the auto shop will need to take priority.

I did actually get to install one of the copper exhaust gaskets I made before going out for a ride and I'm liking it so far, no more nuts working their way loose and no leaks at all... None

Congrats Dave.... glad to hear things are working out good for y'all, it's a good thing when a great paln comes together.

Good to hear the copper gasket is working out also.

Map
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 AM

Thanks... yeah, I'll be busy for the next several weeks for sure, and since it's been so long since I've worked in the auto industry I have a lot of classes I need to take so I can get my certs back. Mainly the state inspection cert and I got my son and I set up to go to that class and test on tuesday, then I need to get the AC cert since that's a big money maker here in Texas so I'm also studying that material in whatever free time I have. I still need to interview and hire at least one mechanic who hopefully has those certs as well. Then I spent most of the afternoon on the phone with the bank getting the credit card machines ordered and set up... I've never had to deal with that issue before and thought it would just be a quick phone call, but they ask for Everything when you call them, then they forward you to someone else... who asks you for all that info again... then they email me a whole pile of stuff to sign, scan, and send back

So far I got about an hour of run time on the gasket I installed and there's no issues at all so it looks like they'll hold up to just about anything... once I come up with an efficient way to cut them on the machine.. lol

For the copper gasket, I cut 2 of them at 1/8" thick and then I annealed both of them dead soft... one is on my bike and the other is going to your address for you to put thru the ringer as well, then I got a few that were cut out of the .030" thick copper and I sent one along with that head with instructions how to anneal it, and have a few of them left over that I'll just send out to people when i send them stuff. I really need to perfect the cutting process with these since the copper tends to work harden as it's being cut, but I got an idea that might speed things up. I was cutting another 1/8" thick one and it was going good then started to chatter really badly and broke an end mill before I could hit the emergency stop, I checked everything, put in a new end mill thinking the first one was dull, ran the program and as soon as it hit that one spot it broke another one... I ended up getting it cut but had to slow the feed speed down to a crawl. Afterwards I was reading about how copper has a very poor machinability because it work hardens so I'm thinking if I cut out one, then stop and anneal the piece before cutting the next one I can avoid all that, or I'll need to cut the sheet down and cut out one at a time, either way I'll come up with something that works... As I get more time on the machine I'll be looking to make some adapters and brackets etc out of aluminum since the aluminum don't have that type of problem the copper does and the machine can rip thru it like butter.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Thumbs up Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Thanks... yeah, I'll be busy for the next several weeks for sure, and since it's been so long since I've worked in the auto industry I have a lot of classes I need to take so I can get my certs back. Mainly the state inspection cert and I got my son and I set up to go to that class and test on tuesday, then I need to get the AC cert since that's a big money maker here in Texas so I'm also studying that material in whatever free time I have. I still need to interview and hire at least one mechanic who hopefully has those certs as well. Then I spent most of the afternoon on the phone with the bank getting the credit card machines ordered and set up... I've never had to deal with that issue before and thought it would just be a quick phone call, but they ask for Everything when you call them, then they forward you to someone else... who asks you for all that info again... then they email me a whole pile of stuff to sign, scan, and send back

So far I got about an hour of run time on the gasket I installed and there's no issues at all so it looks like they'll hold up to just about anything... once I come up with an efficient way to cut them on the machine.. lol

For the copper gasket, I cut 2 of them at 1/8" thick and then I annealed both of them dead soft... one is on my bike and the other is going to your address for you to put thru the ringer as well, then I got a few that were cut out of the .030" thick copper and I sent one along with that head with instructions how to anneal it, and have a few of them left over that I'll just send out to people when i send them stuff. I really need to perfect the cutting process with these since the copper tends to work harden as it's being cut, but I got an idea that might speed things up. I was cutting another 1/8" thick one and it was going good then started to chatter really badly and broke an end mill before I could hit the emergency stop, I checked everything, put in a new end mill thinking the first one was dull, ran the program and as soon as it hit that one spot it broke another one... I ended up getting it cut but had to slow the feed speed down to a crawl. Afterwards I was reading about how copper has a very poor machinability because it work hardens so I'm thinking if I cut out one, then stop and anneal the piece before cutting the next one I can avoid all that, or I'll need to cut the sheet down and cut out one at a time, either way I'll come up with something that works... As I get more time on the machine I'll be looking to make some adapters and brackets etc out of aluminum since the aluminum don't have that type of problem the copper does and the machine can rip thru it like butter.

Good deal man.... all that sounds like a winner to me..

Map
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Here is a deal you cant beat with a stick in my opinion, 12 ga spoke and a good steel wheel master wheel...24"

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...bolt-on-silver

$17.24

Also here is a bunch more to look through if the wheel master isn't what you have in mind.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wheels/wheels/24

Map
Awesome! That is a great price. I ended up ordering the Wheel Master Wheel you posted

I also ordered the MM Sprocket Adapter w/ 36T Sprocket, a JNM X-Port, and a NGK BPR7HIX Spark Plug, so this weekend I should get some good work done.

Yesterday I installed the mirror and speedometer, and found this new build is only pushing about 20mph. The engine definitely needs some tuning, it is past break-in and really should be pulling more speed. My old build easily reached over 40mph, even though it was a major "learning" project.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:41 PM

I've been working on this on and off in my free time but i got my Girvin/Noleen fork finished and put back together. Got this thing off ebay a few weeks ago and it was pretty easy to tell it was about 20 years old so I took it all the way apart, cleaned everything and re painted the fork legs and all the previously painted parts as well as re lubed all the bushings, then the original polymer that they used as shocks back then I replaced it with a modified go kart shock and a custom wound spring for this fork.
It's ready to install now and needs to be partially disassembled in order to install it, but this thing is rock solid and weighs less than half what the stock Roadmaster front suspension fork weighs.
I went with this type suspension since it's a very old design and been proven with superior handeling charicteristics as well as being unique and cool looking. Hopefully I'll be able to install it tomorrow, and it won't be raining so I can test it out.

Last edited by Davezilla; 06-25-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Looks great bud

Nice restore too that thing looks brand new!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Today I'll be installing a 23t pedal cog on my rear wheel. Currently running a 36t chain ring to an 18t cog, so this will lower my pedal gearing from 2:1 to 1.6:1.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:55 PM

And one more stroke of good luck... Right as I was checking my email earlier I get a message from Treatland that they have the dual variated Morini engines in stock again so I did the right thing and bought one... I like these because they have a CVT built into them so it's just twist the grip and go. These engines make about 4.5 to 5hp stock, but there is a 70cc big bore kit available and with the CVT and the right gearing it should make my next project nice and fast, not to mention there's still plenty enough room for improvement as far as compression and port timing and pipe design. These engines usually sell out fast when Treatland has them in stock so grab one if you got the money and want one...

https://www.treatland.tv/franco-mori...ete-engine.htm

First time I saw this engine available I was going to put it in the bike I got now, but I'd rather start with a blank canvas like maybe an older Proflex frame with full suspension or do something similar to the motoped...
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM

Very nice Dave.... the forks and the Morini score..

I'd like to have one of thos engines to toy with myself but I better hold off for now, are those NOS..? just wondering since they have point type ignitions.

Map
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM

I'm thinking they're NOS myself since I've only been able to find them on Treatland and when I looked for that engine on other sites it seems to be non existant... I've just been particularly interested in this one because it has the CVT transmission built in so it should have a good combination of acceleration and speed... and let me get away with a more peaky powerband once geared right.
Now I need to look for the right frame to put it in...

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner