Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors



Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7281  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM
allen standley's Avatar
allen standley allen standley is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangor, Maine
Posts: 667
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Did a 32 mi cruise. awesome I love my bike!
Reply With Quote
  #7282  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen standley View Post
Did a 32 mi cruise. awesome I love my bike!
Im jealous. .. I had to sleep most of the day since I have to work all night, would much rather be riding a bike.

Glad you had a nice ride.
Map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
  #7283  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Cyclin's Avatar
Cyclin Cyclin is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 118
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Took the build I bought over the weekend (my stepping stone back into this hobby) back to work on lunch. 6 miles w/o issues. I'll be riding it back in an hour or so. I'll throw on the mirror and speedometer when they come in today, then its time for some measuring and ordering. I will be ordering a Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter cause this build came with the standard spoke brackets, and probably a JNM X Port. I was also looking at a new chain tensioner out of Michigan but I may hold off on that, after adjusting the stock one that came on this build it seems to be holding up ok.
Reply With Quote
  #7284  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 PM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclin View Post
Took the build I bought over the weekend (my stepping stone back into this hobby) back to work on lunch. 6 miles w/o issues. I'll be riding it back in an hour or so. I'll throw on the mirror and speedometer when they come in today, then its time for some measuring and ordering. I will be ordering a Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter cause this build came with the standard spoke brackets, and probably a JNM X Port. I was also looking at a new chain tensioner out of Michigan but I may hold off on that, after adjusting the stock one that came on this build it seems to be holding up ok.
Welcome back...

I got multiple sprocket adapters from Pirate cycles and Jake's lately and Im very happy with them, nice parts, actually look like they are made by the same person everything about them is identical and nicely machined with good quality hardware.

Map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
  #7285  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 PM
allen standley's Avatar
allen standley allen standley is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangor, Maine
Posts: 667
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Awww thanks Map, don't be jealous tho, My work hours accommodate my hobby. 4:30 am to noonthirty. If we could we would rarely be idle with these bikes.
Reply With Quote
  #7286  
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Cyclin's Avatar
Cyclin Cyclin is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 118
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Welcome back...

I got multiple sprocket adapters from Pirate cycles and Jake's lately and Im very happy with them, nice parts, actually look like they are made by the same person everything about them is identical and nicely machined with good quality hardware.

Map
Yeah it looks like those are both MM hub adapters. I may be purchasing through Jake's then, thanks for the tip. Good to see you're still around too, I think you helped me with some troubleshooting a few years ago

Quick suggestion from you if you will. The rear wheel that is on this build now is a 24" 5-speed. What sprocket adapter should I buy or would I be better served completely replacing the rear wheel with a larger freewheel hub? It looks like I may need the "5,6,7 Speed" version shown on SpookyTooth, but I am not sure if I am measuring the hub correctly. (The first time I measured the axle diameter...doh)

I haven't seen much info for that small of a diameter yet. And I do want to stay away from a coaster brake if I can, I tend to pedal backwards idly while riding and don't want to forget and hurt the bike.

Last edited by Cyclin; 06-23-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7287  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Smile Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclin View Post
Yeah it looks like those are both MM hub adapters. I may be purchasing through Jake's then, thanks for the tip. Good to see you're still around too, I think you helped me with some troubleshooting a few years ago

Quick suggestion from you if you will. The rear wheel that is on this build now is a 24" 5-speed. What sprocket adapter should I buy or would I be better served completely replacing the rear wheel with a larger freewheel hub? It looks like I may need the "5,6,7 Speed" version shown on SpookyTooth, but I am not sure if I am measuring the hub correctly. (The first time I measured the axle diameter...doh)

I haven't seen much info for that small of a diameter yet. And I do want to stay away from a coaster brake if I can, I tend to pedal backwards idly while riding and don't want to forget and hurt the bike.
Yeah I took a little time off myself about a year and a half ago, but im clicking right along again.

I've never used a hub adapter on a multi speed wheel at this point, but I do know that on Manics site he offers to make a custom bushing in whatever size thats needed, so I would consider going that route if you like the wheel you already have.

I have two bikes that im running multi speed wheels on and both are running the stock rag joint coupler, one of the bikes has an old style wheel that has the really small center hub diameter, maybe 3/4" or so, im not sure if an adapter would be a good idea on a hub that small since there wouldn't be enough surface area for the adapter to grip on and most likely all the pressure would be getting applied to just three spokes to pull the wheel.

That wheel is one that has a 5 gear free wheel sprocket set on it and if I were to ever decide to used an adapter on that bike rather than a rag joint I be looking to upgrade the wheel to one with a larger hub diameter.

Im sure there are others here than can probably advize better on the subject since I haven't ever used an adapter on a multi speed wheel, bit those are my thoughts on it.

Another consideration may be to use a coaster wheel link a Shimano hub wheel and convert it to a freewheel that eliminates the coaster brake, I know a few people on here have done it and think its an excellent set up, im thinking I will do one myself on my old huffy bike since the coaster brake has never been nearly as good as the Shimano wheels, several vidoes on youtube that shows clearly how to do the mod and several here that can tell you also.

Best wishes Cyclin and again welcome back to the family..

Map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
  #7288  
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 PM
greaser_monkey_87 greaser_monkey_87 is offline
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 397
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

It's a lot cheaper to order direct from Manic Mechanic. I ordered my adapter from them and my sprocket from BikeBerry, but now Manic has them for $9 cheaper than BikeBerry.
Reply With Quote
  #7289  
Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 PM
placidscene's Avatar
placidscene placidscene is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 318
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I got to go on a ride today!
We are about to move out of state, and so all I have been doing for the last 3 months is fixing the house to sell and packing!
I have gotten out for the occasional ride, but tonight I told my wife I needed to go ride and run the bike out of fuel for the move! lol She's smarter than that, and didn't buy it, but we were done working for the day and she didn't mind anyway. (I probably would have gone anyway! lol)
Rode around in the dark for about 45 minutes. The tank was close to empty when I started, and I still didn't run out of gas.
I haven't checked the MPG since I got it tuned, but it must be better cause I should have run out.
Oh well. Ill just use that excuse 1 more time in the next couple of days! lol

When I got back I was walking up behind my bike and that angle caught my eye so I took a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG5683.jpg (142.0 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7290  
Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 AM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidscene View Post
I got to go on a ride today!
We are about to move out of state, and so all I have been doing for the last 3 months is fixing the house to sell and packing!
I have gotten out for the occasional ride, but tonight I told my wife I needed to go ride and run the bike out of fuel for the move! lol She's smarter than that, and didn't buy it, but we were done working for the day and she didn't mind anyway. (I probably would have gone anyway! lol)
Rode around in the dark for about 45 minutes. The tank was close to empty when I started, and I still didn't run out of gas.
I haven't checked the MPG since I got it tuned, but it must be better cause I should have run out.
Oh well. Ill just use that excuse 1 more time in the next couple of days! lol

When I got back I was walking up behind my bike and that angle caught my eye so I took a pic.

Well hate to hear your leaving the great State of Texas man, but hey gotta move on to other things sometime.

Hope where y'all are headed that they are motorized bike friendly so you can continue to enjoy the ride.

Best wishes and hope to see you back on here telling us about the new stomping ground you have to ride on.

Map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
MotorBicycling.com