Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Not sleeping much last night-

so I put a shock fork on the 50cc Huffy build-

a trash find awhile back- finally put it on
got shock forks on both the bikes now

they really are a smoother ride and probably safer because the bars don;t jar as badly

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2467.jpg (341.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 AM

Smile Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Kat View Post
Not sleeping much last night-

so I put a shock fork on the 50cc Huffy build-

a trash find awhile back- finally put it on
got shock forks on both the bikes now

they really are a smoother ride and probably safer because the bars don;t jar as badly

Looks good NKat,

Seems to me a front suspension also adds safety because the shocks absorb a lot of the shock that the wheel rim and spoke would take when we happen to hit a chug hole we couldn't avoid, plus like you said they do take a good bit of the jolts out of the handlebars on rough roads and the occasional pot hole.

The shocks are much better than the springer forks in my opinion also, I have a nice set of springer forks on one bike, but I an to replace them with shocks asap on that bike, next best thing I have found to shocks is running the big balloon tires with about 40-42 lbs in them, it is amzing how much smoother the bike rides.

Looks like a happpy and colorful Huffy there Nash Kat.

Map
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 AM

Yeah, I took it for a test ride, and one thing I hadn't noticed on the other build, but did now with the new fork on this one-
is that the shock fork also absorbs some of the momentum of my body when braking-
I'm not feeling so hard thrown forward- I can feel the shock compressing and so I feel more control there too-

another advantage!

They are sometimes hard to find with a threaded 1 inch steer tube- but I got really lucky finding this one on anm old junker in the trash- about the only thing salvageable otherwise.

Between the shock fork, the shock seatpost, and the big ole padded Bell Cruiser saddle, it's a pretty comfortable ride.
How do you like that long old school air pump behind the seat tube?
Even with 700c wheels, there's still room on the Huffy cruiser frame
The tools are under the seat- the rest is open storage.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2469.jpg (436.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2471.jpg (425.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 06-09-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM

Looking good Kat.. I'm glad you like teh new front end too... It's kinda one of those things that once you ride on suspension you wonder why you waited so long to convert it over...
I still have my bike on teh back burner because I'm learning how to use my new CNC machine and made my first successful cut in a piece of poplar wood last night after LOTs of messing around with it's settings and software, it's cutting to scale and to my specs finally... lol
Hopefully I'll be able to make a small run of solid copper exhaust gaskets in the next few days. I got the machine for my new business, but I'll definitely make a few goodies for this hobby too...
Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Looks Good Nash. Kat

Yeah I been trying to find a new set of 24" MTB forks with a 1" threaded stem to replace the clunkers that are on the old Western Flyer bike, hard to believe these are so hard to find since there are a gillion ladies and kids 24" MTB bikes out there with the basic suspension forks on them.

Your bike looks real good Kat, ride safe

Map
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM

I could let you have my original forks for your new build once I get my Girvin fork finished and installed, it's just a basic front suspension fork but it does work pretty well, it's set up for 26" wheels and has the 1" threaded top. My new one is the threadless type so I'll have to use the stem that came with it and can throw in the stem and bearings as well.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
I could let you have my original forks for your new build once I get my Girvin fork finished and installed, it's just a basic front suspension fork but it does work pretty well, it's set up for 26" wheels and has the 1" threaded top. My new one is the threadless type so I'll have to use the stem that came with it and can throw in the stem and bearings as well.
Thanks for the offer Dave, I coulduse another good set of 26" forks for another bike and would be willing to purchase the set from you, for the Western Flyer bike I neex 24" forks though because I want to retain the V brakes and I have 24" wheels front and rear on that bike, I have a couple more sets of 24" forks but they're pretty rough and have set out and get some rust on them and the boots ars cracked so I really would like to find a nice set of 24" suspension forks for it, I know they're out there I just have to locate them, im old school and have never used thteadless forks before so I dont know much about them.

Map
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 AM

Yeah, that's true and they won't fit if you want to keep the V brakes... I don't mind using V brakes on mine since they do stop you pretty well as long as they're adjusted right and the pads are in good shape, and V brakes have to be the easiest caliper type brakes to adjust too... I'm going to run them again with my new front end... if I ever get the time to put it all back together... lol. My new shock came in earlier today and I need to open up the holes at the top and bottom to make it fit the Girvin shock mounts. I also swapped out the spring it came with for teh Girvin spring which is considerably softer, but there's a lot of adjustment on that shock so it won't be too soft. maybe later this morning after I get a few hours of sleep I'll put that all back together and get it ready to install on the bike.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Had to adjust my CNS V3 carb today. Seems like as time goes by, it's getting progressively harder to start. Even with the 'choke' on, it doesn't want to start. If I richen the mix, it'll bust right off. However, it then 4 strokes something fierce. I now carry a screwdriver on the back rack to adjust before and after starting.

Oh well, little annoyances for a bigger joy!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Had to adjust my CNS V3 carb today. Seems like as time goes by, it's getting progressively harder to start. Even with the 'choke' on, it doesn't want to start. If I richen the mix, it'll bust right off. However, it then 4 strokes something fierce. I now carry a screwdriver on the back rack to adjust before and after starting.

Oh well, little annoyances for a bigger joy!
Amen brother.... all just part of the fun of this hobby, thats an easy quick fix.

Map

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner