Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Last night I fixed a stripped hole in my front motor mount (4 stroke) by tapping it with a bigger bolt. Since I don't have a tap and die set, I just force thread the bigger bolt in. It's pretty soft aluminum, so it re-threads pretty easily. It worked on the rear motor mount when it got stripped, so figured it should work fine for the front. Also adjusted my spring-loaded chain tensioner. Had to put a new clamp on for the spring because the old one finally gave up the ghost after more than a year. Hopefully my new chain doesn't stretch anymore. This is the 3rd time I've adjusted the tensioner since installing the new chain.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Thanks, Map.. It is a nice solid frame.. the top bar is remarkably skinny, the bottom brackets for the fuel tank are almost touching the bottom of it. The shifters are old levers, but they work so all 18 speeds of the bicycle are still available and pretty easy to use.

That one you attached looks similar, yeah.. right down to the molded grips with the big ends.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM

yes sir those are good ole bikes, my Montgomery Ward MTB is a 15 speed and all of it still works good also, just a good solid ole bike, I know it will make a nice motorized bike some day.

Map
Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 PM

I took the new build (red one a few posts back) out for a shakedown run. No speedo, but it feels as strong as the others. Got to the coffee shop just fine, came back outside with my cup since it was a nice day. I'd just finished going over the motor to make sure nothing was shaken loose when the back tire blew out. Three feet from my ear, like a gunshot. The tube has a 4" long gash in the side, and it blew the tire off the wire bead (split). Crazy, since I know it was at 60 psi (usually a safe pressure) to start with.

I'm glad it blew standing in the rack istead of under load in traffic, it could have been much worse.

Fortunately, across the parking lot from the Tim's is a Canadian Tire, so I walked it over there and bought a new tire and tube, broke out the tool kit and replaced them while in front of the store. Got it together and rode home, also had no trouble climbing up the hill. A little adjusting of the clutch might be needed, but otherwise feels good.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 06-03-2014, 11:25 PM

Got a good start on my next build today, got my wheels clear coated, when that was dry I got tubes and tires installed on wheels, noticed that bothe wheels were not as true as they could be so I trued them real good, I tore new Shimano CB 110 E hub down, cleaned everything up real good with a brsh in a can on gasoline and re greased everything with high grade moly grease and re assembled the hub, once I got that done I installed the new apirates cycles hub adapter and 36T sprocket onto wheel, I figured I'd like to know how the bike was gonna ride and peddle since I plan to use a small 36T chainring on the cranks so I completely put the bike together and went for a short ride just to see how it would peddle and ride, everything worked like I wanted it to so I came back home and completely tore the bike back down to bare frame, cleaned frame thouroughly with clean rags and acetone, hung it up and gave it a couple good coats of primer and when that dried a couple good coats of fresh equipment enamel paint, John Deere Yellow to be exact.

Did a few other things as well but just tried to have a fairly productive day with the Schwinn bike.

Map
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 AM

Installed a sava mc51 2.75" x 17" tires. It is 2.93" wide, and measured 22.625" diameter fully inflated to 30psi. Fits like a glove in the frame, will have to see if it'll clear the chain line.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 AM

Made a new float bowl gasket and stuck it in.
Cleaned all the fuel from almost everywhere to the rear of the carby from the leak it had.
I did find another place where my chain was lightly hitting the motor body. It was where the top bolt of the clutch lever cover plate goes through the casing. Also mounts the chain guard. Two grooves there, and I noticed my chain has the lube knocked off it in the corresponding place. Filed it down a bit. Been busy with the kids so haven't ridden it since but looking forward to maybe a quieter motor.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Got my new Kenda Kiniption 24 x 2.35 tires in the mail yesterday and I throughly cleaned one of my new 26" wheel master wheels with CRC Brake Cleaner and the mounted it onto the rear of a frame I am gonna turn into a nice bike in the near future and and sprayer several good coats of Valspar Clear Gloss enamel on wheels rim, I spin the wheels so I get an even coat and no runs in the finish, I've noticed that these new chrome rims seem to rust real easy and pretty quick since I guess the chrome is very thin on them, so several light coats of a good quality durable clear gloss finish sprayed on them after a good degreasing and cleaning will seal out the moister and makes the dust wash off easier also.
I dont like rust on my wheels if I can help it and this is a fairly quick and easy way to keep the wheels rust free, the chrome does take on a slightly textured appearance, but it is still shiny and looks just fine in my opinion, just looses a little of the extra slick look since most all enamel has a bit of an orange peel look when it dries.

Here are some pics of the rim after the clear coat and also after I mounted the Kenda k927 Cruiser tires on them that will be on the Schwinn Fleet Cruiser once I get the Frame painted and the engine built for it, by the way this bike is gonna be bright and colorful, building it to stand out and be very comfortable for so long 40+mph cruises, may not be my fastest build so far but should be close to the others and it will definitely be an eye catcher build, I'm pretty excited about this one and hoping it turns out the way I have imagined in my country boy head...LOL!

Map
Those tires look sick on that bike! I like it a lot!!
Was thinking about putting 24's on mine later on but I'll need to convert to disk brakes for sure...
Good idea clearing over the new chrome rims to prevent rust. I was going to make mention that if you need a better clear but don't have a paint gun or just don't want to break out the painting equipment to shoot on the automotive grade clear, you can get the 2k clears in a can for about $20 per can. The way it works is there's a release under the bottom of the can that releases the cataylist into the rest of the can then you shake it good and spray, it only lasts about 24 hours once released but you get a very tough 2 part clear with the convenience of the spray can. This is the same stuff you would normally buy a quart size can of clear and an 8 ounce size can of hardener and it's every bit as tough as well. Here's what I'm talking about and it's really good stuff... you could use this on a new build to protect just about any paint job... http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
Old 06-04-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Those tires look sick on that bike! I like it a lot!!
Was thinking about putting 24's on mine later on but I'll need to convert to disk brakes for sure...
Good idea clearing over the new chrome rims to prevent rust. I was going to make mention that if you need a better clear but don't have a paint gun or just don't want to break out the painting equipment to shoot on the automotive grade clear, you can get the 2k clears in a can for about $20 per can. The way it works is there's a release under the bottom of the can that releases the cataylist into the rest of the can then you shake it good and spray, it only lasts about 24 hours once released but you get a very tough 2 part clear with the convenience of the spray can. This is the same stuff you would normally buy a quart size can of clear and an 8 ounce size can of hardener and it's every bit as tough as well. Here's what I'm talking about and it's really good stuff... you could use this on a new build to protect just about any paint job... http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
Thanks for thelink Dave, yes I have two of the Binks 7 clones and a couple smaller guns, but for small stuff I dont likr to buy paint or clear coat so that aerosol Urethane clear would be an excellent way to go, never seen that stuff before but I thinking that would be an excellent clear coat to protect and add better shine to the rattle can equipment enamel finishI like to use on the things I spray paint normally, the equipment enamel is already a tougher fi ish than normal rattle can paint but that urethane clear would add even more durability....
Yes sir I ll be ordering me a can of that to give it a try.

On the tire stuff:

Yeah I got the Red 26x 2.125 Kenda K927 tires mounted on the heavy duty Wheel Maste wheels yesterday, They're pretty colorful and almost clownish.... but I wanted to use something different on this bike so the red tire caught my eye, many years ago I was a friends ( keep my car running crew ) since he had money but no mechanical knowledge and had bought a Bracket car which happed to be a moderately pwered Chevy Vega with a fairly well built 355 cid, the car was Red and had Yellow striping across hood and down sides of car, I always kinda like the Red and Yellow together so that is the theme of my Schwinn build, the frame is John Deere Yellow and the Red is tthese Kenda tires, im hoping it doesnt look like a clown bike when Im done but it's for sure that it will be bright......lol

I need another sprocket adapter for a sprocket change on the old 63 Western Flyer bike and then Ill be putting the wider and meaty 24x 2.35 Kenda Kiniption tires on it, they will look pretty nice on that bike, I am waiting to get my Diamond Head from Jake's and he will be sending me an adapter and a cut-on piston when he ships the head, the head and piston will be for the new build and the adapter will be for the old Western Flyer.

Thanks again for sharing that link with us for the urethane clear coat..... that sounds like an awesome way to increase the durability of a simple rattle can finish or prevent rust on the chrome wheels.

Map
Old 06-04-2014, 12:13 PM

I tightened my muffler.

I feel like such a slacker.......................

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner