Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
Back to the subject, I got in a straight plug head from bgf to replace a angle plug head. The angle head doesn't seal good because of the raised small sealing area, if I sand that area off the squish band will be almost gone and compression will probably be too high for pump gas. I'm going to cc both before I start to see the difference. The new head has a nice squishband that after lapping it should be better.
Good deal, show pics of the compared heads if you can..

map
Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 AM

Perhaps the most rewarding mod I've done so far.
Since putting the motor on I've been wary of the extra work asked of the kick stand. It has always been a bit wobbly,with the foot sliding away from the frame, and recently broke from the frame. Fixed with a good weld now.
Anyway, I got about a half inch of clear plastic hose, and jammed it on the foot of the stand so it grips better on the ground and holds it's place so well now. It took two minutes.
In terms of ratio of effort to reward, i now have a personal best.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 AM

I will as soon as I get back home Map, it will be Monday or Tuesday before I get the chance.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Well yesterday was a full day of riding or tinkering with a bike or two, road the Kulana Moon Dawg bike for a nice little 19 mile road trip which just happen to turn in my best top speed on that bike so far, seems it is getting a little better when I thought it was as broke in as it would get already, it hit 45.4 MPH on a slight declining area of the road and will maintain 44.3 MPH on the flat now with no serious head wind in the mix, thats a 1 MPH increase in the last 80-90 miles, engine has a tad under 400 miles on it now so I guess things are getting a bit better as everything mates in good.

Got back home and decided to piddle with some parts that will be going on my next build which is the Schwinn Fleet Cruiser I picked up for $40 last week, I'm putting 12ga spoked Chrome Steel Wheel Master wheels on it, rear will have Shimano coaster which I really like, it's getting mountain bike suspension forks and some tall ape hanger bars for a comfortable ride and a kewl look, this bike will be the most colorful of my bikes for sure, got the forks cleaned up nice and painted yesterday, also got a set of cranks cleaned and painted high gloss black for it, frame will get sanded and painted before long when time permits.

also cleaned up and painted a 2 liter fuel tank to replace the leaking 3liter tank on the 63 Western Flyer bike, the 3 liter tank needs a new weld on one of the mounting studs which sprang a serious leak on my last ride to town on it, I'll do the tank swap today to get that bike back on the road again and probably put the new 36T chain ring on the cranks I painted yesterday.

Probably gonna swap out the HD Lightening CDI for the Rocket CDI I got in th mail last week also, doing a comparison between the two so I can report back here on which is the best bang for the buck and if either actually does better than the other performance wise on my bike.

Enjoying my two days off from work and time tinkering with my bikes...

Map
Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 PM

yep, easy to see the diff in the motor after 400 to 500 miles, a little faster, a little smoother, less diff between cold running & warmed up running
Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Well got my new magnito and coil. Wow she runs great must have been week on kit motor new one only had 2 wires. Never used white anyway

Ride for fun ride for Freedom
Old 05-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Well got my new magnito and coil. Wow she runs great must have been week on kit motor new one only had 2 wires. Never used white anyway

Ride for fun ride for Freedom
Old 05-20-2014, 06:36 PM

Got the newly painted 2 liter tank installed on the old Western Flyer bike today and took it for a 12 mile ride, this thing gets any faster and its gonna get scary, I'm hitting some crazy speeds on this bike under good conditions on the flat or going down a slight declining area on the road, I need to run my GPS and see if my speedo is off a little, the bike has GPS 'd right at 46 mph when it had less than 25 miles on the new engine, I registered 51.5 MPH going down the slight hill today and got 46-48 MPH on the flat without any head wind, the speed got to the point that my front wheel was bouncing so it is obviously not balanced good for speeds like that, I plan to run my GPS next time out on this bike to see if I'm really getting those top speeds out of it or if the speedo is a tad off, I know for a fact it will hit mid 40's (45,46 mph ) but I'm not that sure about the 51.5 MPH reading I got today, all I know is that it was screaming and I was moving right along and if it is off I dont think it's off by much judging by how the bike was feeling.

Nice ride but with the modified kit pipe it just doesn't have the lugging power like my Kulana bike does with the Cat eye expansion pipe, the WF bike pulls OK but it shines on the top end and lacks on the bottom end.

Map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63 WFlyer pic 2014-05-20.jpg (1.35 MB, 28 views)
Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 PM

M/B pretty soon you are going to need a tag on that thing!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
M/B pretty soon you are going to need a tag on that thing!
Lol....

Once I get everything the way I want it on this bike, if my gps shows that it is nearing the 50+ mark like the speedo showed today, im gonna put a larger sprocket on it, To improve torque and lower top speed a little, Im happy with a top speed in the mid 40's but 50+ mph on that little bike is just plain to fast....

When the front wheel started bouncing pretty hard and I realized the screaming rpms I was turning and looked down and seen the speedometer go past 50mph all the way to 51.5 mph when I let off the gas, I was thinking this is just to dang fast on a bicycle....!!!!

Map

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner