Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Finally finished wiring up the forward controls on my bike. New turn signal switch with high beam & horn button, had to be modified (was internally grounding, smoked fuses when plugged in) and attached to thumb choke lever. Now my handlebars are less cluttered, looks more professional than before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_forward_controls.jpg (118.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Boutght her some oil and took her on a ride to the gas station and then a couple laps around the subdivision, seems like the more I ride her the better she runs. As soon as I get some brakes for her so I can quit using my feet as brakes she is going to get alot of miles put on her. I dont know what mix the previous owner was using but 2.2 gallons of gasahol and 8 oz of walmart brand oil and she runs much nicer than before and was able to make it up the steepest hill in my neighborhood with me peddling like a madman wich she wouldnt do a couple days ago, I cant imagine how much better she will be when I go to a 56t sproket next week.

Last edited by needtransportation; 03-22-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtransportation View Post
Boutght her some oil and took her on a ride to the gas station and then a couple laps around the subdivision, seems like the more I ride her the better she runs. As soon as I get some brakes for her so I can quit using my feet as brakes she is going to get alot of miles put on her. I dont know what mix the previous owner was using but 2.2 gallons of gasahol and 8 oz of walmart brand oil and she runs much nicer than before and was able to make it up the steepest hill in my neighborhood with me peddling like a madman wich she wouldnt do a couple days ago, I cant imagine how much better she will be when I go to a 56t sproket next week.
Dang it.... 56T....?

That thing should climb a. Shear bluff with that kinda gearing with maybe a 20mph top speed Im guessing, a 48T should be perfect and still give you a 25mph top speed, my bikes will dang near climb straight up when I put a 44T sprocket on them but with a 49cc I bet a 48T will do a great job and still give you a little better cruise speed.

Just my thoughts but hey its your bike so build it the way you want it, that is all that matters.

Best wishes and hope I just keeps running better and better cor ya.

Map
Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 PM

The 56t will rev the engine a lot so keep that in mine.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:52 PM

FINALLY got my fill of the NT carb constantly flooding the wretched float... dropped the early CNC carb on... had to change controls as well... and could immediately feel the difference in performance. This went on my 'Flying Horse' on a 2010 blue Cranbrick (was called the "Beach Breeze" but now we call it "Grampa")... the Grubee manifold will not fit a FH btw. Used an aluminum 'wedding band' JB welded to the carb end to allow the carb to work. Love the way it handles.
Also started a rebuild on the clutch of a 2012 'Panama Jack' with a similar year Grubee motor- THAT will be finished tomorrow. There's also a 2012 24" Cranny that is (oddly enough) cranberry red... guess what we call it... that will require a minor retrofit of a gasket. Once all three are running, I will install what might turn into the ultimate in low-cost, reliable head/tail/brake/turn lights that run off the white wire... with four penlights as back up/voltage regulators! PLUS, no need for suppressive sparkplugs to allow the flasher to work!
Been buried in work these past few, but the weather is turning good and I will have my wrenching time! These suckers are FUN!!!

... Maybe they are afraid of us coming after them...?

the Old Sgt.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:17 AM

Got my Dyno back up and running this time with a 36T. Scrambles up the inclines no problems and now Im really smoking my pals 4.5 Arrow set up.

Also purchased my first full carbon bike, holy mackerel I thought my Felt was a lightweight this new rig weighs less than half of the Felt road bike. Looking forward to some cardio this year.

Dan.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 PM

I took mine out for a quick rip this morning. It started right up after hibernating over the winter. I put a new spark plug in it and adjusted the chain. I just have to look into the back v-brakes. They seem too loose or not working properly.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Today I stripped the case out- head bolts and heavy hands are a bad combination.
-Been working to eliminate frustration in my daily routine- So....No worries here.
I took 2 drill bits- from just below the gasket surface, from the side of the motor, I drill into the stripped socket....Then with the larger bit, I enlarge the hole I've made. Zip/Zip through that opening with my wire feed welder (actually took a min to get it right) I fill/weld from the bottom of the stud, kind've pinning it in place from the side of the case. Imagine a dowel pin if it were wood.....Torqued it all down and she held!
Short trip ran fine- Time will tell how long it'll stay solid.

No worries- Cheap solutions for Cheap Motors- Or Innovative ideas....it was fun anyways!

-Richard
Old 03-23-2014, 11:55 PM

I did some 'tweeking' on my Reese Sportwing bike carrier. The trip I made to New Mexico back in the Fall revealed a few issues that needed to be sorted before my next trip. Moved some padding, bent a couple of the support bars, and moved a couple of strap attachment points. Should work much better on my next trip ---- thinking Ohio, Pennsylvania, & Kentucky in May.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I cut the muffler off like an idiot, instead of more power it feels like less. I drilled holes in the air filter cover but havent ridden it since to assess the change.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner