Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Thanks for the input, CTripps.

It's good to grab those images when you see something interesting. That design looks a lot like something I was discussing here five years ago with a member NEAT TIMES. Some company selling bikes they called Zipcycle. Here's the thread:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6300

Pics of Zipcycle:

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment...6&d=1240013984

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment...0&d=1240016351

I don't know the proper way to include links to pics. Gimme a break; I've only been here for seven years or so.

Xseler,

Using wood is an idea I thought of. But I would do the whole bike frame in wood, too. I've seen bamboo used in bike frames. I have a bunch of Osage Orange I've collected. There's a lot of it around here - farmer fields are often surrounded by it. It's super strong and flexible. Native Americans made archery bows from it. Beautiful color. Really heavy, though.

Maybe that's a new thread we can start. Wooden bikes and parts. (unless it already exists)
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 PM

I hit a bump and all my parts fell off.

Actually, since it might be weeks till we get above freezing, seems like a good time to repaint the frame. I yanked bearing cups, kickstand, everything. I took this bike down to bare metal in 2008, so I know what's under the paint (besides rust). Should be a little easier than the last paint job. I'll try to keep you guys and gals up to date with pics, probably posting in the paint forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bare_frame_1.jpg (119.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM

We finally have a good day, snow's melted and the roads are dry so I got the cruiser out to tweak it post-reed installation.

The shim I made out of a pop can has taken care of the intake side problem, the carb is nice and snug on the intake and the kill switch works again.

I had to tinker with the air/fuel mix a little, ended up dropping the circlip on the needle two notches (raising the needle). Now when the choke is wide open it doesn't stutter or stall.

The tires and tank are full, now it's time to take it out for a ride.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_dam View Post
Hey placidscene,

Your build is looking good.
A_dam
Thanks for the props!
The new huge tank may acctually lower the center of gravity because it stradels the top tube instead of setting on top of it.
The ammo cans don't weigh that much empty, but the battery adds a little more to it.
The worst top heavy item on the bike is me! lol
I have thought of lowering the angle of the top tube down on the seat stay, but i have to dismantle the whole thing, then do some cutting and welding.
I also considered looking for a road bike frame built for a smaller person. That would be less work.
I don't have time for any of this right now. I have to get my house ready to sell.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidscene View Post
The new huge tank may acctually lower the center of gravity because it stradels the top tube instead of setting on top of it.
The worst top heavy item on the bike is me! lol
Cool. Fill up your tank and it acts as a stabilizer! You gotta love the frames on the old full size 10-speeds. Lots of room - big "hole" for the motor and other stuff.

Now, "the worst top heavy item" is harder to fix. I'm actually down 15 pounds in the last 1 1/2 months. It wasn't a New Years resolution; don't believe in those. I just really needed to shape up a bit. No sweets and almost no beer for the last couple months. For dinner, I eat half what I normally would, then the other half becomes my late night snack.
That diet's been working very well and the only thing I'm missing much is (surprise) the beer. I make wine for a hobby and drink some of that when I'm craving a little buzz.

Good luck with the sale of your house. If you're moving out of TX, let me NOT recommend Illinois.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Smile Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Didn't do a thing to my bikes but I did take my oldest bike out for a 6 mile ride late yesterday evening, it was 86 degrees here in Central Texas yesterday, was 23 the night before so the 86 felt really nice and I had got my piddling around the house done about 45 minutes before dark and figured it would be a nice time for a late evening cruise up the dirt road to the highway which is just over 3 miles one way, the old Black bike is the slowest of the tree I have going right now and only has a comfortable cruise speed of about 28mph with a high vibration top speed of 34mph, it is the most comfortable bike to ride though, nice wide cushioned seat and the old Wall mini ape bars, got a 24" rear wheel and a 26" front with a 32T rear sprocket, old engine is bone stock with a banana pipe expansion chamber that I cut the exit end off of so it would flow better, it's louder but the power had a noticeable increase, if this engine was a vibe king this would be the bike I'd ride the most for sure, it may get one of my dax GenIV engines in the future.

happy safe riding guys and gals, and hope you northern people get some good weather before long, we're getting some good days here in Texas already but before long we'll be complaining about the heat down here...lol

Peace, Map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131105_181827.jpg (211.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post

happy safe riding guys and gals, and hope you northern people get some good weather before long, we're getting some good days here in Texas already but before long we'll be complaining about the heat down here...lol

Peace, Map
As I made my way to my truck this morning trudging through several inches of snow on my sidewalk (didn't I just shovel this an hour ago) I thought of your post Map. Feeling the -21 degree weather bite at my face I thought of 60 degree weather Map. I hopped into the truck with the heater already blasting getting nice and cozy slipped the shifter into first started to pull onto the road and the truck stalls and dies in the heavy snow. Even then I thought about your post.

Finally making it to the main road I leave the truck in 4 wheel, the road is covered in snow no way to tell where the sidewalks end and the road begins, again thought of your post. Finally made it to my shop and started shoveling the store front, yep thought of your post. I checked the temp right before I took the picture and it was -25. I took my gloves off to snap the pic and my fingers instantly started to tingle. Guess what Map? Thought of your post buddy.

Yay Winter!

Dan.

Last edited by Danschutz; 03-01-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:44 PM

I haven't done anything to the bike in a month.....

It was 70* here yesterday....gonna be 10* tonight with snow and freezing rain moving in. I think they made a mistake when they named Nature "Mother". It's name should be "Duncan", cause it's certainly like a yo-yo........
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
I haven't done anything to the bike in a month.....

It was 70* here yesterday....gonna be 10* tonight with snow and freezing rain moving in. I think they made a mistake when they named Nature "Mother". It's name should be "Duncan", cause it's certainly like a yo-yo........
Oddly, I used to live in Duncan Ok. lol.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danschutz View Post
Oddly, I used to live in Duncan Ok. lol.

I'm guessing that you may have worked for Halliburton.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner