Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Wow, the tire makes the whole bike bad?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Last year I had about 8 rear tyre blowouts. Very painful. First round was because of cheap tyres, then I had a few side-wall punctures. Once I hit a squid-jag for crying out loud, and I was nowhere near the ocean!
For my new bike I got schwalb brand big apple treads. They're tough. So far so good with only off the shelf liners in there.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Slayer, post up what you need that you don't 'have laying around'. Many of us have extra stuff that may be of use to you.
if anyone has a head gasket and or a exaust gasket i could use thatd be great. I bought some gasket material at my local m/c shop and its air tight but it gets saturated with oil and leaks all over the engine. I used the. rest of that stuff for a base gasket. Time will tell if itll hold up. I need the head gasket cause i used both base gaskets i had cause the material i bought is very compressible. And i decked the head just a little more. I need some courser grit sandpaper... takes forever wth what i have. I can deal with this stuff in the summer just fine. But winter... my tolerance goes with the weather . i figured out the "detonation" problem I was having. It was the spark plug boot. And the spark plug. They were both resistor type. I thought it wouldn't be a problem but after awhile it got worse. I just put the old boot on and it went away. now I just have to get a iridium NGK plug. Still running rich with a 65 jet and the clip in the top notch.. Lost some compression with using two base gaskets. Should I deck the jug or the head for better compression?

Last edited by slayer60973; 02-24-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Nearly there. Only the frame to finish then put it all back together.
Adverse conditions include having no spray booth type setup so have to walk every bit about 50 metres up the street to spray it.....
Wind.
Flies.
People thinking I'm graffiti-ing.
Etc
Here's how I've kept the frame from wobbling about during all of this.
Labour of love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (204.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 AM

Hey placidscene,

Your build is looking good. With just the motor mounted in-frame, your bike wouldn't be too top-heavy at all. But with those beastly ammo cans and a gallon and a half tank on the top tube, I can see why you're trying to lower things.

Are you still running a 27" rim in back? I kept my original hub, but used quality stainless spokes to lace in a new 700c rim. The diameter is only 8mm smaller so there's no problem with the brake shoes reaching the rim. The smaller rim gives more frame clearance to use fatter tires, which you ain't gonna find in 27". I fit up to 40mm tires now, and might go a little fatter if I mess with the frame a bit.
Still has all the benefits of "skinny-tire".
Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 AM

Not today, but yesterday...
Took a quick run to test out an experiment. It was 20 degrees F. and windy. Fun! But that was supposed to be the nicest day we're gonna have for another week or so.

So far my weed wacker friction drives have used springs to pull the motor/roller down onto the tire.
On this new design, I rigged a lever that locks the roller up off the tire or down into the tire. Worked perfect first time! Just the right amount of force to not slip. I wasn't looking forward to hopping on and off the bike to fine-tune things with freezing fingers.

I've got pictures, but since it was a prototype (from plywood), you would probably consider it pretty cheesy looking.

Last edited by a_dam; 02-27-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 AM

Most of us like 'cheese'........post 'em!!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 AM

OK, you talked me into it.

I already had this spare Mac motor mounted to a plate. The plywood "lever" is bolted to the motor plate at one end and there is a rod (bolt) that slides in the other end. When the rod is under the bike frame's top tube, the drive roller is held up off the tire. With the rod on top of the top tube, the roller is pressed down onto the tire. This worked good for my test, but when I do a real build, I'll figure out a better way to lock the friction drive on and off.

I could have cut the plywood into more of a handle shape but I didn't want to waste wood or time on a quick test. Plus I didn't want it to look like a product from an adult novelty store. I stole that joke from Cannonball2!

It ran really smooth. Since it's locked into place, the motor can't "bounce" at all with road or tire imperfections. Of course, spring-loaded frictions drives don't bounce much when they're designed right, but the springless design has advantages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lever left.jpg (220.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg top view.jpg (79.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg lever right.jpg (255.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_dam View Post

I already had this spare Mac motor mounted to a plate. The plywood "lever" is bolted to the motor plate at one end and there is a rod (bolt) that slides in the other end. When the rod is under the bike frame's top tube, the drive roller is held up off the tire. With the rod on top of the top tube, the roller is pressed down onto the tire. This worked good for my test, but when I do a real build, I'll figure out a better way to lock the friction drive on and off.

I could have cut the plywood into more of a handle shape but I didn't want to waste wood or time on a quick test. Plus I didn't want it to look like a product from an adult novelty store. I stole that joke from Cannonball2!

It ran really smooth. Since it's locked into place, the motor can't "bounce" at all with road or tire imperfections. Of course, spring-loaded frictions drives don't bounce much when they're designed right, but the springless design has advantages.
Here's another take on the lever rig for a friction drive... I have no idea whose bike this is, it was locked up at the grocery store last summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130817_123951.jpg (179.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20130817_123937.jpg (183.4 KB, 34 views)

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_dam View Post

Props to you!! Why don't you just stain & seal the wood and use it as is? Would be a great conversation starter!

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner